Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of reading, I bought the trailer and got it on the road last week end.

Hoping some trailer vets can add to this list I am starting.

Concerns:

-load shifting
-load leveling
-approaching an obstacle in the road, which tires take the hit
-lighting to keep someone sweeping in behind you into the passing lane when traffic is tight.
-and of course, lug nuts and bearing grease

I just added a stern boat light in the center of the trailer that is adjustable in height. I replaced the bulb with an amber bulb to stay compliant making it a running light.

Ok guys what else is there to know or be aware of?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Good Luck with the trailer Tim. Encouraging that you are approaching trailering so cautiously. Seen too many people get in trouble doing the tow thing on four wheels can only imagine what can happen on two.

Hmmm. Maybe paint the word Trailer on the side?;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I hope to hear more on this myself. I've got a Sears car carrier (that has served us well on many 4-wheeled trips), a set of luggage rack rails and cross bars off a Windstar van, and some plywood. Was thinking of picking up Northern Tool 4'x4' bed trailer, affixing the rails and cross bars to it and installing the car carrier when needed.

I like the idea of a warning light on a pole like boats have.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I had a couple trailers in my time, load the biggest part of the load over the wheels and more towards the back of the trailer. Never had a problem with the load shifting, it looks like your trailer is a different color than your bike, that's a good thing. Most time that a trailer is hit is because it's painted to match the bike, people behind you have their eyes fixed on the bike and don't realize the trailer is there because it blends in, having a different color trailer will help with that. You might want to check with the trailer manufacturer about repacking the wheel bearings or just replace them every so often, You might want to put a flashing brake light modulator on your bike which will flash the brake lights on the trailer also, or as you stop use the brake lever to flash the lights. When you go over a toll bridge you will be charge for a 3 axle vehicle, ouch, that can be expensive.
Oh yea, now with the trailer, you will take more stuff than you will use.!!

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
I pulled my Spirit Trailer to Arizona and back without any trouble whatsoever. 3500 miles round trip. Sometimes at 75 mph.

Love the ability to haul a full size tent... and all of the amenities that go with camping two up. BBQ'ing and having a cold drink at the camp ground is worth every bit of the hassle of a trailer.

Just bring along a cable and lock so you can lock it up at the campground or the motel when you are heading out without it.

Recently I sold my Spirit Trailer and bought the "Tag Along" at Harbor Freight. On sale and with the 20% off coupon, it costs me 330 out the door.

It went together in 2 hours and it pulls great at 70 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
My Harbor Freight " tag - a - long " pulls great ! I have around $260.00 in it and it is well worth more . I added red reflectors in the rear for safety and yellow reflectors on the tongue . I mounted a light inside and lined the inside bottom with gray felt . I will add a cooler rack next !

·
Banned
3,180 Posts
Great link to that forum. I just read through it.

My tag along has grease zerks on the inside of the axle hub housing.

This weekend, I bought some led lights to lower the electrical power demands.

I noticed when looking at the online ad for this trailer that they are only available in the local stores. When I was at Harbor Freight yesterday, I spoke to the manager and he said that this trailer is being discontinued and that the only stock is in the stores.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts