Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tailgaters

4K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  crownfire 
#1 ·
Tailgaters make me nervous and its dangerous on a bike.Any suggestions how to get rid of these boneheads other than a finger salute,thats not my style. Getting past the one blocking me and getting the h... out of there is my first choice but some times we get stuck where we are.Maybe I should carry a handful of rocks, what do you think :)

-Robert-

#2 ·
My favorite trick in the work van is to suddenly shift down into low gear. I pulled that maneuver on a hot dog Mustang. It worked, because he weaved through traffic, got in front of me, and started hitting his brakes on me in retaliation. I knew I scared the little weiner. The hardest thing to do is not pay attention to what's behind us. The affects these situation have on our psyche are just as dangerous as the imagined scenario of the stop up ahead. A rear view mirror reflect more than just the object behind us. It also reflects our state of mind.

#3 ·
Finger salutes and erractic driving only tends to make matters worse, it tends to reduce the tailgator's IQ down closer to their shoe size. Best method.........Slow down. Thats the one thing they don't want to do is be any later to wherever they are going. They will pass ASAP. I know it's not the macho thing to do but it works.

#4 ·
I'm with you marc. I think most of them don't realize that there's any difference doing it to a bike as there is to a car/truck. jmo

#5 ·
I tap my brake lights a few times to get their attention, sometimes that works or you can slow down a little, pull to the far right of the lane and wave them by, IF there is room to do so safely.

#7 ·
+1 for what Joe said. But to be honest, sometimes I just want to open up the Wing and get some distance between me and them..

#6 ·
Speeding up to lose someone following too cloely only ends up with someone tailgating you at a higher speed.
A better way to handle a tailgater is to get them in front of you . Slow down and open up extra space ahead of you to allow room for both you and the tailgater to stop .
this will encourage them to pass.
If they don`t pass you will have given yourself and the tailgater more time and space to react in case of an emergency does develop ahead.
That is what the Georgia DMV says I like the finger better !!

#8 ·
It all depends on the mood I'm in at the time. Sometimes I'll slow down to the correct speed limit - very effective. Other times, I'll twist the throttle just to show them that I could go fast if I wanted to and then I'll slow back down to the speed I want to travel at. On highways, its between 65-70mph, no matter if its a 55 or 65mph. I am still awed by the quickness of my wing, and occassionally, I want to shock and awe others as well. I usually will not exceed 90mph...emphasis on the word usually.

#19 ·
It all depends on the mood I'm in at the time. Sometimes I'll slow down to the correct speed limit - very effective. Other times, I'll twist the throttle just to show them that I could go fast if I wanted to and then I'll slow back down to the speed I want to travel at. On highways, its between 65-70mph, no matter if its a 55 or 65mph. I am still awed by the quickness of my wing, and occassionally, I want to shock and awe others as well. I usually will not exceed 90mph...emphasis on the word usually.

Having come over from the liter and larger sportbike scene, I was not nearly as impressed with the goldwings power. And having my own sportbike blow by me and I could not even give it a good run proves this is not the wings forte. But all that aside, the sheer bulk was the hardest thing to get used to. But used to it I am, and I love the Goldwing for the two up travels it provides me and the wife. I can't imagine not having one now. It is a extremly confortable ride with enough power at your hands to have some spirited times available to you the driver. Would I buy another Wing......YES I WOULD!

#9 ·
Thanks for all the input about this subject. The answers posted were all very sensible and thought provoking. We see and hear about road rage tail gaters and soforth all the time and if nothing else I wanted us to reflect on this common situation so we can better instinctively react when it happens.I appreciate this group of riders here on GWOF
and if all the drivers out there thought as this group does we'd have a lot less accidents
and better drivers by far.

-Robert-

#11 · (Edited)
Even Wings have enough power to get away. Nothing macho about it, just a sensible way to stay safe.[/QUOTE]

There are times when its safe to just "GO" and look for that clear buffer area with no other vehicles around, I prefer that,all of us do.
I was following a "B" train Fuel tanker in Saskatchewan, I stayed back quite aways until I saw my break,dropped a gear and I'm gone and in the clear.A dozen miles later I pulled in for gas,the tanker pulls in to. I sit down inside for a coffee,the tanker driver a total stranger sits down at my table and says "I like how you ride,I'm a biker too" he said he'd seen it all driving for a living and so many drivers tailgate,he can't see them in his mirrors and if one of his airlines ever broke the brakes dynamite,the tailgater is toast.
The other thing he said,one of his tank caps flew off one time smashing a cars windshield. Staying well behind is a good idea.

-Robert-

#16 ·
#5 Hand grenade launch ready, lol

I always wanted to build a cable operated trap door in the bottom of my saddlebag that carried a few hundred roofing tacks in it. Maybe a paint ball gun rigged to shoot ball bearings from inside the trunk. You can tell I've had some real bad experiances with tailgaters, lol

#21 ·
Y’all are funny, brought a smile to my face early this morning.

One thing I didn’t hear anyone mention is that he who has the most lug nuts wins. Usually I evade and avoid; speed up or let them pass.

In Texas, where most of the shoulder is another good lane, it is common courtesy to use the shoulder to let the vehicle behind you by. Hoping to make a ride that way this spring.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.