Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone rode the tail of the dragon this year ? I am planning a trip there at the end of may. Is this a good time to go ? I don't want it to hot or to cold when i go.I will be riding from Hampton Roads ,Va.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The weather shouldn't be bad, just don't go on the weekend. Too many sport bikes trying to show everyone how fast they can ride it, and you also have the car clubs to contend with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information bossdog.Were going down for a week so we can ride the tail on a weekday instead of the weekend , I figured there would be less riders during the week.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
End of May should be great. Maybe a jacket in he morning, but it warms up by noon up on the mountain. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information Two Wheel Wing. I have a video camera mount on my goldwing so I can record our ride.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I was down there in the middle of Sept. chilly in morning but hot by the afternoon and like everyone else said go during a weekday and watch out for the MAN.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hope you enjoy "the Gap" while you're there. Check with some of the locals and see what's shaking as far as patrols and speed traps etc go. Some pretty heavy enforcement last season if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Do all the other great roads have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
If you need a nice place with food and drink check out Fontana Village it is down rt. 28 from the dragon. All of the time I have been through the area I never checked it out but three years ago the wife and stayed and love it. Another place if you are over in Maggie Vally is the Abby Inn, a great ma and pa motel another must.

·
Registered
455 Posts
We plan to spend a week in that area so we can do the other rides in that area to.
Just a few miles from the Dragon is this great road. I have ridden it a number of times and I find it much more of a challenge with beautiful views and various locations to stop and shop or get a cup of coffee. The ride up to Highlands is much better than the southern end from Highlands to Walhalla, SC. I guarantee you won't be disappointed on any section of this road. :D
http://www.2uptouring.com/Motorcycle-Roads/NC/Highway-28-Highlands-to-Walhalla-SC.aspx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks golddragon & fxrshog,we will check out the other roads in the area. We have stayed at the abby inn in maggie valley 4 or 5 years ago,nice place.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
Another real good road is Hwy 209 from Waynesville to Hot Springs, NC. We were staying in Maggie Valley a couple years ago and that road was just as twisty as the Dragon without any traffic. From there we looped into TN and then back. Good place for lunch in Hot Springs.

Also I highly recommend the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts