Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
That is some awesome riding......He is not welcome at the May Meet and Greet!!!

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Sure he is. That's what I call cop bait.
Thats true...Thats about twice as fast as I go. I wonder how many times he has made that run....and how many wrecks he's had.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
I've ridden this and somewhat aggressively, but not like that! Those in that neck of the woods also know about US74 out of Ashville, another road that will turn you into a pretzel (coming back on yourself.) In the Blue Ridge, I always rode the road first, to check for leaves, etc. and judge a fun but sensible speed to take it at. You do not get two chances on these roads. Do something dumb, and you're done.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chopin has no intentions of emulating any record setting ride anywhere. Time ticks by fast enough without adding to its velocity. REF. " Yellow Wolf " lives in Maggie Valley, so this is his neighborhood road.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
" Yellow Wolf " lives in Maggie Valley, so this is his neighborhood road.
I gotta imagine there are people who have moved there for that reason.

When I was there I spoke with a young squid. He said he lived close by and would ride it 3 days a week sometimes 10 separate runs.

Personally, there is much more for this self proclaimed longrider to see. I enjoyed it, but I also enjoy the calm ride through a country setting or just rolling up the miles to no where. I figure that type of ride would be boring to that fella.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Surprised that YW went back to the Gap after all the hassles that made him leave in the first place. I also thought he sold his bike when he went trucking in Florida. You don't have to agree with his antics but sure gotta admit the guy can ride.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yellow Wolf returned to riding recently on a new 2012 custom colored Wing. Yes, he lives and will someday pass on, on his laurels. Can't beat the crotch rocket time though. The only connection I have with him is few years ago when I was still riding my VTX and met a 1800 rider in a parking lot. The fellow told me to Google " Yellow Wolf ". His riding prowess didn't inspire me as much as the Wing's ability and agility. That, I thought, was the bike for me : A cruiser wrapped in a tourer. Haven't been disappointed.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I rode it 2 up and had a great time, the wife loved it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Isn't the speed limit in the Gap 30mph?
Been there several times. Nearly taken out by Nicky Hayden wannabees several times and one road racer in a Z28. All idiots.
If you go-avoid the week ends and ride early! The idiots usually sleep in!

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Isn't the speed limit in the Gap 30mph?
Been there several times. Nearly taken out by Nicky Hayden wannabees several times and one road racer in a Z28. All idiots.
If you go-avoid the week ends and ride early! The idiots usually sleep in!
Speed limit is 15 to 30 in most places...I never had issues with other bikes or cars. Its the 18 wheelers having to cut your lane off thats the the biggest problem. If they would ban big trucks from that stretch it would make a world of difference.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I've done the dragon about 4 times on my GL1500 but never on the 1800. It is on my bucket list to do. My daughter has been with me each time and she says her legs and arms hurt from clutching the bike. I guess it's different for the copilot than the pilot.. It is a great road meant to be enjoyed and feared. Ride it safe, within your limits and enjoy the views..

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I've done the dragon about 4 times on my GL1500 but never on the 1800. It is on my bucket list to do. My daughter has been with me each time and she says her legs and arms hurt from clutching the bike. I guess it's different for the copilot than the pilot.. It is a great road meant to be enjoyed and feared. Ride it safe, within your limits and enjoy the views..
North Carolina has done what Tennessee won't do ...... ban trucks heading to the DRAGON. It is now illegal for trucks longer than 30 feet to operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line. They are also banned on NC 28 from NC 143 all the way to US 129. Also on the ban list is the entire Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
North Carolina has done what Tennessee won't do ...... ban trucks heading to the DRAGON. It is now illegal for trucks longer than 30 feet to operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line. They are also banned on NC 28 from NC 143 all the way to US 129. Also on the ban list is the entire Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina.
What is holding Tennessee up?:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Signs everywhere letting the big trucks know what they are getting into but you get a fella who will follow that GPS thingee right into the Atlantic Ocean.....OH WELL! :rolleyes: I have been there enough to see the big rigs. I was lucky I was in front of him so I am not still there waiting for him to get through.

·
Premium Member
23,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't worry. L2R and I have plans for other great roads. The " Dragon " is just the De rigueur ride , not the Raison d'être .

1 - 20 of 119 Posts