Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey ZeroG - Most agree that the official "Tail of the Dragon" is located down along highway 129 in Tennessee - N Carolina and is one of my personal favorite places to visit. I find that camping in the Deals Gap area takes me back to a time when the primary concern of all their 90 degree corner roads was evidently to provide local farm access while avoiding the family potato patch.

Don't hesitate to take the trip but there are a couple of things you might consider prior to heading out - 1) Be prepared to ride pretty conservatively during the 1st time you ride the Dragon because there are several deceptively tight (diminishing radius) curves to negotiate that will have you scrapping the chrome right off your crash bars. 2) Try to avoid the Dragon on the weekends because there are a couple of crotch-rocket motorcycle clubs that ride sections of HW 129 for time-trial competition. I got caught in amongst these kamikaze idiots on the Dragon one Saturday that had me almost off into the trees as they blew by. :)

Ride Safe - Michael

1 - 1 of 1 Posts