Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Here is a pic posted to a FB group I follow. Poster called it the Tail of the Dragon and that it was in Tennessee. I thought the Tail of the Dragon is in NC. Or is there more than one?

Beautiful pic no matter where it is.
Plant community Ecoregion Natural landscape Natural environment Plant

·
Registered
549 Posts
Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort is in NC, Deals Gap is on the state line between NC and TN, and the stretch of road that is called Tail of the Dragon (Highway 129) is in TN.

Reactions: Two Wheel Wing

·
Super Moderator
10,045 Posts
Beginning at Deals Gap on the Tennessee/North Carolina state line is the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't see a stretch of 129 on the map that looks even close to that, and the road markings don't look American?

·
Administrator
15,388 Posts
I'm certain that picture isn't the Tail of the Dragon. If all the cars weren't there it would be a fun road to ride.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are other “Dragon” named roads in the Smokey mountains but I don’t think that picture is any of them.

The literature for “Tail of the Dragon” claims 311 curves IIRC, I have counted the curves using google earth and have never even come close to that number. Does anyone know what they consider a curve?

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Amazingly, out of 12 posts, four of them now say the same thing, starting with post #3... Is that a record, or do oil threads get above 25% sometimes?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey ZeroG - Most agree that the official "Tail of the Dragon" is located down along highway 129 in Tennessee - N Carolina and is one of my personal favorite places to visit. I find that camping in the Deals Gap area takes me back to a time when the primary concern of all their 90 degree corner roads was evidently to provide local farm access while avoiding the family potato patch.

Don't hesitate to take the trip but there are a couple of things you might consider prior to heading out - 1) Be prepared to ride pretty conservatively during the 1st time you ride the Dragon because there are several deceptively tight (diminishing radius) curves to negotiate that will have you scrapping the chrome right off your crash bars. 2) Try to avoid the Dragon on the weekends because there are a couple of crotch-rocket motorcycle clubs that ride sections of HW 129 for time-trial competition. I got caught in amongst these kamikaze idiots on the Dragon one Saturday that had me almost off into the trees as they blew by. :)

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are multiple roads that I prefer to the dragon, one being the Foothills Parkway. 38 miles of beautiful road in pristine condition, sweeping curves, great views. There is also 441 out off Gatlinburg going south across the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, over toward Cherokee North Carolina and any number of the park roads are more peaceful than the Dragon. My personal favorite was Fighting Creek Gap road that comes off of 441 just south of Sugarlands Riding Stables, it turns into Little River Gorge Road part way across that drops you off into Townsend. Take 321 over to Maryville and pick up 129 south to the Tail of the Dragon. Not the fastest way but for us it is about the journey not getting there. Lovely Wife and I did the dragon both ways on our 41st anniversary so we could buy the "T" shirts and wear them but when we can travel again we will be doing some of the many other roads in the area.

Dave / Believer45

Reactions: crownfire
1 - 16 of 16 Posts