Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an '83 1100 in September. We've had an awful Fall here with cold weather and snow so I haven't had much of a chance to ride it. I rode it enough to find out that the tach cable was broken so I replaced it and then my starter went. I just put a new one on today and actually took the bike out for a short ride. I've got all kinds of whine coming from the tach and my rpm's are all over the place. I'm pretty sure it's not the cable making the noise because I lubed the cable and it doesn't seem to make any difference what position the cable is in. Anyone had any experience repairing tachometers?

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
when you replace the tach or speedo cable if you look at the inner cable it looks square-ish so if the cable doesn't seat right the guage doesn't read right

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that's the issue. I detached the cable and then reinserted it and turned the engine over so that I could feel the cable going into place. No difference, I'm afraid. I've disconnected the cable now because I can't handle the screaming from the tach. I don't know how long it has been since this tach has run. Has anyone tried a shop of WD40 up the back end of the tach?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tach

I have a 82 Aspencade about 55K, and my tach at Idle goes from 950 to 1150 RPM other words it is not steady.It just jumps back and forth until I get up to about 3000RPM. Engine runs steady, it's just the tack cable maybe sticking ?:rolleyes:
Any suggestions!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did spray some lube up the tach cable connection and it works like a charm. No needle jumping, no screaming.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Other words you sprayed up into the tach head and not on the cabel.What did you use for lub ? Thanks for the info....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts