Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this has been discussed before, but I am still confused about the engine oil. Can't decide between synthetic and regular. I just want to know what kind of engine oils everyone using and how often you change your engine oil? Personally I am not a big fan of synthetics, but I have seen a lot of oil change locations now offering synthetic oil. So what do you guys suggest? Any recommendation based on personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your inputs..

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You will get all kinds of answers on this one!
1. Make sure you use one that meets the specs for the Wing.
2. Whether you use dino or synthetic, as long as your bike has warranty I submit you should follow the change intervals recommended and keep receipts to prove you have done so.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Honda synthetic blend and filter every 5k miles or at the end of the season, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Oil opinions are as numerous as elbows, everybody has em, so I am with the crowd that uses Honda synthetic blend and their filter every 5K. Mama Honda oughta know best, at least during the warrantee. The even 5K change is deeply imbedded in me, been doing it for years in all cars, trucks & bikes, so easy to remember, don't have to look up mileage at previous change.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Amsoil and filter both. Use synthetic in both my previous Wings too. If I still had an air cooled 750 (or any other a/c bike) I'd use Amsoil in it for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Synthetic oil is far superior to dino oil. We did some testing while I was a pro racer back in the 80's and the engine temp decreased with 15C after changing to Castrols then called GPS oil. Since then I have not put anything but synthetic oil in my vehicles. However, Kendalls synthetic motorcycle racing oil caused us to burn up clutches, so I always make sure that the S numbers (SG, SF, SM.....) on the bottle match the manufactorers specs. I have yet to hear about a void warranty due to correct use of synthetic oils and think that it's very unlikely.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Synthetic oil for modern bikes is best since it holds all oil’s properties much better than a natural oil. Synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids and additives to help prevent wear, keep an engine clean, flow easily, prevent rust and reduce friction.It flows easier in cold weather. Also, it is highly resistant to viscosity breakdown from heat, friction, chemical contaminants.Yes Cost is twice as much as conventional oil . However it lasts longer, so the actual cost increase is not so high..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Use Amsoil in my Duramax too. Helps to have a riding friend that's a dealer (er, Amsoil 'dealer').

·
Registered
405 Posts
Mobile 1 10W40. Best deal per quart for synthetic (if you buy the 5 quart jug). Smoother shifting than other syns I have tried.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oil? What oil? :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
My Honda dealer sold me Honda's synthetic oil this time, don't know, it might be a new product, its in a gold bottle and described as a synthetic blend, 10-40, formulated for motorcycle engines and gears. It was my first time to change the oil myself in the Wing, easy to do, hardly any cleanup, I like the filter on the bottom next to the drain plug, rather than half way up on the motor as the Harley's have theirs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will be changing mine for the first time in the morning, 2000 miles since new end of December. I picked up the wallv world st6607 filters and a jug of t6 5=40 Rotilla.

·
Registered
32 Posts
RetMPCorps

AMSOIL all the way. 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil......
Now I'm gonna sit back and watch....:cool:

PS

Here also is a link you may find informative: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf
AND; Here is another article not by AMSOIL: http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
Exactly correct, AMSOIL is the company that was first to develope Synthetic oils and they have in my opinion the best oil for bikes. I used it in my 2002 wing switched at my first oil change and never had a bit of trouble. I just bought a 2010 Wing and will use nothing but AMSOIL, HOWEVER IT IS NOT CHEAP !

1 - 20 of 57 Posts