Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!

I'm about 400 miles away from performing my first (3000 mile) oil change on my 2008 Wing and need advice on oils. After researching the differences between synthetic and non-synthetics, I'm definitely leaning towards synthetic.

What brand of synthetic oil do you use and why? With so many available, I obviously want the best I can get but I'm not sure who makes it. Wingstuff sells the Honda synthetic oil and local auto parts stores have everything else (Mobil1, Castrol, etc., although I'm not sure who sells Amsoil).

Is 3000 miles a good time to start with Synthetic or should I put more miles on before making the switch? I'm not sure what the "Break-In" period on a new Wing is. :confused:

Thanks to all who respond!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Most of my synthetic friends use Amsoil. Most of them are Harley guys, and it makes the bike run cooler, so they don't catch as much heat on the legs. Like you i thought about using it, but what i gathered is that protection for dollar spent, is not much of a difference. i am sure there are those who will tell you different. but that is just my $.02 worth.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
When I change, I'm going with the Amsoil and their filter too. I've done some pretty extensive studying on this and the Amsoil comes out on top in nearly every regard. Honda's own is actually pretty far down the pole so it's definitely out of the picture. Synthetic oil in a wing is really a no brainer since they don't 'use' oil like an air cooled v-twin is prone to (ok Harleys) so you should never have to worry about needing some on a long trip, and Amsoil isn't that uncommon anymore. I used to carry a qt wrapped in a plastic bag (to protect everything else in the saddlebag) for my Dyna, glad those days are long gone!:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are a million (or more) threads on oil. Somehow we obsess with this topic. And to a lesser extent the filter. Honda recommends oil changes at 8000 miles. Personally I like half that. Walmart sells a gallon of Shell Rotella T Synthetic (blue jug) for about $20. Seems like a good deal and good oil. Lots of people like Amsoil, but its expensive and highly hyped to the point that I wonder at the claims. Testing shows its good oil but not a miracle worker. Emotions run high on this topic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Synthetic oil

I'll only be getting my Wing in the spring so I'm riding a 2006 Stratoliner S right now. I've been putting the Yamalube full synthetic in but I really don't see any difference other than cost. I'm still changing my oil at 3000 mile intervals so I really don't see any benefit. Years ago when Amsoil came out while I was working as an auto mechanic, the whole reason for using Amsoil was that you could go so much longer on oil changes. If you're going to change at the recommended mileage, what is the gain? I know they say that the bike is running cooler with the synthetic. Maybe with the V-Twin it's more of an issue. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It doesn't really matter what oil you use as long as it is SAE rated. With the Honda engineering as long as you change it regularly and the filter too it will go a long time before it wears out. Honda engineers know what they are recommending for their designs.
I use Mobil 1 in all my cars because in the great white north here the cars sit out in -30 C weather and the synthetic flows better when cold and it helps with lubrication quickly. When was the last time you rode or started your wing, or any bike for that matter below 0 C.
There are some who obsess over oil but with todays modern metallurgy and designs as long as the oil is changed when it should be your honda will last a long time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading the responses to my thread, I'm now re-thinking what I thought was a cut and dried decision. A fellow Goldwing rider expressed concerns about the compatibility of synthetic oils with the "wet" clutch system used on the Wing. Also, because I typically change oil/filters on all my vehicles at 3000 mile intervals, I don't know if there's a reasonable benefit to switching to synthetics.

Has anyone experienced any clutch issues related to synthetic oil use?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am using the Honda synthetic. Almost ready for my second oil change at 12000 miles. I run amsoil in my pickup, its good stuff also. Just keep good oil in it and you will do fine.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Well here's my $.02 worth. I use the Honda blend 10w40 and Honda filters. I buy them from

http://www.directlineparts.com/

by the case with free shipping. Never had a problem. I change the oil every 4k miles along with the filter. I know some don't think Honda oil is very good, but if they make it and I use it then if I have a problem there will never be an issue as to what oil I did or did not use. Like I said, just my $.02.

Ride safe and don't forget to use a new crush washer!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
3k oil change

I have been changing my oil and filter after each season, which works out to after every 5k. After reading these posts, I will change it to after 3k and then again at the begining of the next season. My mechanic recommended changing the oil and filter after the season and again at the begining of the next season. I think I'll go with the 3k and again in the begining of the next season. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
3K oil change

I agree with the 3K oil change and if you're going to adhere to that, then why spend the extra for synthetic. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Does the 1800 use a different oil weight than the 1500? My 2000SE specifies a 10w40 that meets or exceeds spec. I have 107,000 plus on the odometer and am using Castrol 10w40 high milage at 3000mi intervals. I chose the Castrol since a shop I used to frequent used only Honda or Castrol. My service advisor doesn't have a "problem" with my choice, but I haven't found a synthetic/blend in the 10w40 other than Honda, maybe I'm not looking hard enough?!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess I'll stick to good 'ol Honda oil for now since I'm changing it this weekend and I bought the oil a month ago. The next oil change may be a whole 'nother ball game though. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what the general consensus is in a week or two.

Thanks to all of you for your responses!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rotella 5W40 synthetic oil/Fram ToughGuard 6X TG6607. Many riders use the Wal-Mart ST6607 filter. I change oil every 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I switched from Motul to Amsoil about 2 years ago. I wanted the once-per-year oil change. I did notice a 10% drop in fuel mileage when I switched. Once I use up the Amsoil, I might switch back to Motul.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's interesting to hear that the mileage actually changed for the worse with the Amsoil. I still think it's cheaper and better for the bike to change at every 3,000. I know that the whole thing about Amsoil is the fact that you can extend the miles traveled between oil changes but I guess I'm just stubborn and would rather stick to the more frequent changes. I don't see how that can hurt the bike in any way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with that. A more frequent oli change with filter I think is much more effective regardless of which oil you use. There are bits of debris that come off of metal parts that you don't want circulating in the engine or transmission.
And yet on the other hand the BMW cars are allowed to go 25,000 KM between oil changes by their own design. :confused::confused:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
BMW only covers their autos with that kind of interval when the owners use the BMW store oils and fluids. They are roughly 3 times the cost of parts store prices. They are also contracted to regular manufacturers, just like Honda does with filters and likely their oil too, although I'm not positive on the oil. I ride a $30,000 bike. I'm not going to chince out on the cost of something as beneficial as my oil. tlbranth, I'm no mechanic, but I seriously doubt if your fuel mileage drop is a result of the oil; up or down. 1 mpg either way maybe. I'd suspect your fuel management (whether carb or efi) or ignition components etc.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts