Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used Amsoil for years on many machines. It is a great oil.
Now, I've purchased this '97 Goldwing, and wanted to use this on the
next oil change.
How many has used this Amsoil engine oil in their machines ?

OR, how many uses synthetic, any brand in their Goldwing ....

thanks,
jamie

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I use AMSOIL Synthetic in my 1800. Really don't want to use anything else if I can keep from it.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I did use an Amsoil Filter. Unfortunately I don't know the weight.
I contacted Bob with Amsoil Dealers (A proud GWOF sponsor). He put the proper oil and filter with my bike. Thats what I recommend.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did use an Amsoil Filter. Unfortunately I don't know the weight.
I contacted Bob with Amsoil Dealers (A proud GWOF sponsor). He put the proper oil and filter with my bike. Thats what I recommend.
Thanks much, I will be looking !!!!

....... jamie

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
i just got my amsol from bob, i was going to use it in my 1200 wing but my buddy fran did an oil change the other day when he replaced the water pump

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
AMSOIL MCF 10W-40 Motorcycle Specific if you want The Best.. or... I can step it down a grade.

AMSOIL EAOM-103 is the Proper filter.

Email us for Forum Member Pricing. [email protected]

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I use the Honda synthetic 10w40 and OEM filters. I used both in my 98 GL1500 and now in my 09 GL1800. I'm not a high mileage guy and usually can make it through a season on one oil change.

There may be better oils and filters out there, but what I use works for me. JMHO..

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I used the HP4 with OEM filter...It may be a coincidence, but a ticking/clicking noise developed in the motor. Switched to AMSOIL...after about 2000 miles, no more noise. Again it may be a coincidence.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I use the Honda synthetic 10w40 and OEM filters. I used both in my 98 GL1500 and now in my 09 GL1800. I'm not a high mileage guy and usually can make it through a season on one oil change.

There may be better oils and filters out there, but what I use works for me. JMHO..
Nothing wrong with the Honda oil and filters Charlie, if Honda says it's ok, then it really is. I've been a synthetic guy since the late 80's with all 3 (1200i, 1500, and my 1800) and I just like it better is all. I went to Spectro in the 1200 after my GWRRA buddies bragged up the much smoother shifting characteristics and they were bang on. It was much better in extreme high temps when pulling the Tiny Mite trailer. Now with the Amsoil it's even better so I'm hooked and not ashamed to say so. Proper diligence with any m/c (JASO MA) formulated oil and regular/timely changes and it's all good.
So for the O/P's question yeah, I'm an Amsoil proponent all the way including my vehicles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been using Amsoil in my bikes,cars and lawn equipment since 1985,for the motorcycles I've tried 5w-40,15w-40,10w-30,10w-40 and 20w-50 all have worked well along with the Honda or Amsoil filters.

·
Registered
296 Posts
AMSOIL MCF 10W-40 Motorcycle Specific if you want The Best.. or... I can step it down a grade.

AMSOIL EAOM-103 is the Proper filter.

Email us for Forum Member Pricing. [email protected]

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob
I have a 96 Aspencade with 55,000 miles on it. As this engine is 16-17 years old, synthetic oils scare me. As a dealer of this oil, will I be ok to change to Amsoil. Is there a danger of creating seals leaking etc, due to the age of my machine? I have a local dealer of AMsoil, but don't consider him an expert on this question.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a 96 Aspencade with 55,000 miles on it. As this engine is 16-17 years old, synthetic oils scare me. As a dealer of this oil, will I be ok to change to Amsoil. Is there a danger of creating seals leaking etc, due to the age of my machine? I have a local dealer of AMsoil, but don't consider him an expert on this question.

Thanks
I didn't think twice about putting AMSOIL in my 1200 when I bought it and never looked back. The smoother shifting was noticeable immediately.

Synthetic oil does not create leaks. In some cases, AMSOIL even slows or stops leaks by cleaning out buildup in the seals and then the seal swell agents soften the seals so they will work as designed.

And seeing that you didn't "trust" your local guy, I hope you will give us a chance to quote you before you buy.

[email protected]

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Wing and the service dept mgr said Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oil in a wing because of possible damage to the clutch. I bought the extended warranty and he said you run the risk of voiding it. Is there any truth to this?

I used Amsoil in my 82 GS1100 Suzuki. Bike was much smoother running with this oil.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Total BULL! Any type motorcycle oil I've heard of does not have the "Energy Conserving" additive which would cause that problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was leary of synthetic oil when it first came out, but I have seen the stuff used in a Transit buses. Those transmissions hold up extremely well. How many miles are on your 1800 using synthetic oil? I want to use this in my wing but if Honda will not approve it's use...... This guy said I should do an oil change at 250 miles and then another at 2500, then every 4K.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have 22,500 on my 2010,the first change was close to a 1,000 miles.
I try not to go over 8,000 miles if I can help it, my trip last summer I was at 8200 something when I made it home.
My last two rides were HD Ultras,the 07 has 48000 plus on it when I traded it for the 09,16,000 something when it went for my current ride. My previous four wings all were higher miles except my 05 which I just didn't like.

I was leary of synthetic oil when it first came out, but I have seen the stuff used in a Transit buses. Those transmissions hold up extremely well. How many miles are on your 1800 using synthetic oil? I want to use this in my wing but if Honda will not approve it's use...... This guy said I should do an oil change at 250 miles and then another at 2500, then every 4K.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I just bought a 2012 Wing and the service dept mgr said Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oil in a wing because of possible damage to the clutch. I bought the extended warranty and he said you run the risk of voiding it. Is there any truth to this?

I used Amsoil in my 82 GS1100 Suzuki. Bike was much smoother running with this oil.
Here is what you do.

Tell your "Service Mgr." you would like to see it in writing.. He can't supply it, I know for fact.

As he starts to back peddle, have a little fun and tell him you would "Like that in writing, on company letterhead, signed by the owner or GM" ...

As he stumbles for words, tell him he is a flippin idiot, with a smile on your face, and walk away.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This Service Mgr is an idiot.... If he would have worked in one of my shops or one that I managed, he would'nt have a job very long.

First change at 600 miles... There is no such thing as 'break-in". The 600 mark is used to remove machining and casting debris due to heat cycling of the engine loosening contaminants.

If you use other oils, 4000 is correct. If you use AMSOIL and the AMSOIL filter, you are good to at least 8000 or 1 year.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.