Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all !

This is the French guy with a GW 1200 intersate !

I saw a suspicious smoke at the junction of the exhaust when I start the machine after 2 week of holidays.

So bad picture when I'd like to do a small trip !

I had a look to the coolant level in the reservoir : it was at the low level.

I done my trip without problem but ....There is always a "but" in France...

I suspect that a problem is present on the head cylinder gasket !

What do you think of that ?

Thank for your help !
And so sorry about my english !
;)

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
hello misterfax, welcome to GWOF. every now and again some oil makes it past the rings when wings have been sitting for awhile so you may see smoke

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
every now and again some oil makes it past the rings when wings have been sitting for awhile so you may see smoke
Ok good thing ..

Smoke appers not only from the exhaust..
Smoke appers at the jonction between exhaust and pipe !

Why here ?

This smoke is active less than 2/3 mn and after all is normal

A pb of junction ? I never saw anything here !

Other point this is an old machine '84 ! and the gasket too ...
Perhaps the begining of his end ?
I prefer to fix it before !

Other idea ?

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
What colour is the smoke? if it's dark (blue/black) then it's likely what the Doc mentioned. If however it is white-ish, then you could indeed have a head gasket issue (coolant getting into the internals of the engine).
Don't worry about your English, I'll bet it's 10x better than my French!:eek:

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Misterfax,

Allo! I have almost the same Wing. If I park it on the side-stand for more than a day, it is likely to smoke a bit on start-up. I don't like this, so I always put it on the centerstand when home and parked for at least a day. See if this helps. I've never had smoke after he's sat on the centerstand for any length of time.

As far as WHERE it's coming out of the exhaust on your bike, it sounds like a failed weld or compression ring gasket. Should come out of the back of the pipe; well, if at all!

By the way, what are you using for oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Tatanka Yes smoke should come out of the back of the pipe !

I found a very small failed weld at the junction of the pippes befor the exhaust; I suppose caused by time ! ;)

Oil : 15W40 API SJ

@budoka : Smoke is white-ish, then you could indeed have a head gasket issue
Presence of water checked ! compression ring gasket not dead but nearly

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm buying a 1989 with 60,000 miles and it does the "blue smoke on startup" as described but only when on the side stand so I'm sure it's residual oil in the combustion chamber but is it getting past the rings or the valve seals? I would be suspect of the valve seals, which are much easier to replace. Also I'm reading that this is a common issue and one that I should not be concerned with, please confirm.

Can't wait to start a new chapter in my motorcycle life with my new-to-me Wing! Been riding/racing dirt bikes most my life and will continue to but been wanting a Wing and think I found a beauty. Also looks like I found a good forum.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
If it smokes a little after setting on the side stand over night. Not to worry they all do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pb is fixed !
No more white-ish smoke with a new head cylinder gasket !

A thing is staying alive
After a trip, when I arrive in a village, I slow down (obliged ! :rolleyes:)
A trafic jam ? Temerature grows up fast I think . if necessary, fan start (happily !)
Is it normal ? In my mind, I had never see it happen so fast !

Have you got a solution ?

I soon instaled a switch to force the fan..
Is the switch fan out of order ? I don't think so It's a new one !

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
In high temps, the fan will come on fairly soon in slow traffic or stopped at a light/intersction, and yes it's normal for the fan to come on fairly quickly. A separate manual switch isn't a bad thing either but you are in control not like the temperature sensor controlled one. If you want additional cooling, I'd reasearch using a secondary fan and switch assembly along with the stock automatic one. And yes, fans can and do fail.

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Misterfax, You sure do talk funny.....are you from France?

Just kidding, Welcome and good luck with the repair on your Wing.....the folks here have a plethora of info to help!

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts