Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Wing. I was wondering if any of the readers have moved on from this gereration to the 2012 version. Did you feel that the new suspension is worth the upgrade? If so would the parts that were changed, perhaps seals or springs could be swapped out to give the softer ride and yet good handling that the 2012 is expected to give, be installed on my 2005?

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What is the mileage on your bike? Have you changed fork oil as suggested? Have you measured the "sag" in the front forks? Does the front or rear ever bottom out? Lot of factors determining the need for a rebuild or not.
One strange thing that worked for me, when I was still 2 wheeled. It was suggested on another board by the owner of TailWind Trailers to set the rear preload at the max of 25 and leave it there. Did that. First time wife rode, she asked me what I had changed as the bumps and dips were not as harsh as before!
I also disabled the ADV when I triked and have felt no difference at all in the front suspension action. Will enable it again when fork oil change &/or brake fluid change is due.
Many others spend from a few hundred to thousands for "improvements". To each his own. When my fork springs reach their service limit, I will replace w/OEM. For now, the ride is great w/no excessive nose dive nor harshness.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I converted my 2008 Wing to Race Tech suspension front and rear. I did the labor myself so everything was under $2k. I rode the 2012 and there's no comparing any stock suspension to one from RT or Traxxion. After you ride a good suspension, you will not want to go back to stock. There is no money spent on the Wing which can completely transform your bike like a good suspension upgrade. The main problem with the Goldwing suspension is that it is so undersprung that it cannot function as designed, you are bottoming everywhere. Appropriate springs (1.0 kg/mm front and 21.4 kg/mm should suffice for most) will allow you suspension to be set up with a closer amount of 'sag' so that you will have more travel available to you and thus more control. Your ride will actually get smoother and moe compliant, not harsher as many may think. It is definitely not worth it to upgrade to a 2012 just for the suspension.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Rear suspension in the 2012 isthe same as the prior models. Front has no "significant" changes at all really, just some bushing differences. Biggest improvement in the two models is the 2012 runs on Bridgestone rubber. Dookoo has done the research and homework on his suspension upgrade and loves the results. Other guys swear by the Traxxion system. It's a matter of personal preference and wallet I think.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have rode the Traxxion system on a friends Wing (05) getting back on my 03 at the time was like riding a stoned pig ! I am going to do the upgrade (Trax) to my 2010 this summer , the differance is unreal !

·
Registered
741 Posts
A clarification is in order when it comes to suspension. The stock suspension was fine for me for most of the time. However, the more we started to take the Wing onto different racetracks, the more we (DF and I) wanted to try a suspension upgrade. So for all of you with stock suspensions, don't sweat it. The stock suspension even survived a bumpy track like Buttonwillow better than I expected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2012 fork rebuild

I have a 2012 level 3. Took one long 3000 mile trip along the Calf coast and felt that this Wing might be undersprung in the front for my weight 250 lbs and the gear that I pack. So with that I had the front rebuilt with Race Tech springs 1.1kg and the gold valve kit, had the anti dive disabled, All balls tapered bearings & the Kuryakyn gen 2 fork brace. Also had dealer put in the K&N air filter. The biggest thing to me is when going hot into a corner and you need to brake if there is a rough spot in the road the front suspension can handle it and keep the tire firmly planted in the corner. You can see a Wing with & without this set up on the Race tech web site you- tube video riding over 2x4 on a straight line. It really shows the advantages of a properly tuned suspension to weight ratio if you have to ride over some type of obstacles especially if you use the front brakes to slow down at the same time with the anti dive disabled. Also the slow speed turning in parking lots seam easier for me with that fork brace installed. I plan on trying to wear this bike out before I check out:eek:, so the mods are worth the expense to me.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The Race Techs are linear springs. I just did a Gold Valve kit and springs on DF's brand new ST1300 and big improvement over stock

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I did the Gold-valve and spring mod on my Vulcan; world of difference. There were some other (rear suspension) alterations I did on that bike so I wanted the fork to operate a effectively as i could with the least input of coin. Good choice.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I am getting the Full Monty minus the ak-20 carts. Traxxion springs, all balls, fork brace and traxxion rear shock. Doing this in a few weeks. I just could not come up with the extra cash for the ak-20's. What difference will I be able to notice? Mine is a 2010 with 8k miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
741 Posts
I am getting the Full Monty minus the ak-20 carts. Traxxion springs, all balls, fork brace and traxxion rear shock. Doing this in a few weeks. I just could not come up with the extra cash for the ak-20's. What difference will I be able to notice? Mine is a 2010 with 8k miles.

Thanks
Well then, it isn't the Full Monty. The revalve of the forks is crucial. I've had great results with the Race Tech Gold Valve and Emulator, which costs a fraction of the cartridges. If you are handy with tools, you can do it yourself like I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts