Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i blew the left rear shock on my 1500 wing . the air shock is ok but the spring shock is leaking all over my left exhaust. if you have changed your shocks on a 1500 did you go with a spring shock and an air shock or did you convert to both shocks using air

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
detdr: You know I can't help you technically, but is this the " not going so well " you mentioned on another thread.
a small part of "whats not going so well"

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Buzzard, had to replace both rear shocks a few years ago, stayed with one of each, but the spring shock is now a progressive. Works well for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm going to put a used shock on that i got from a friend then over the winter i'll get a progressive shock. the air shock is still working so no need to replace it. thanks matt

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've been a fan of the Progressive shocks and replacement parts since I did the forks on my '84. Put them on the rear of my Vulcan and loved them there too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Suspension

well i blew the left rear shock on my 1500 wing . the air shock is ok but the spring shock is leaking all over my left exhaust. if you have changed your shocks on a 1500 did you go with a spring shock and an air shock or did you convert to both shocks using air
When I had my "97" 1500, I replaced both rear shocks with the progressive air shocks. Remarkable difference in handling. The bike was more stable in the corners and there was no more frame flexing. Dual air shocks seem to even the suspension out leaning either direction. I noticed a bid difference, also had progressive in the forks and a fork brace.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm aware that this is an old thread,but, as I'm finding my way around my new to me '88 1500 I'm seeing things that I have not seen before,so, have some patients with me;:)
On the rear suspension..one of the shocks is mounted "upside down":eek: Is there a purpose for this? And, if I were to upgrade to Progressives..would one be mounted upside down like the stock one?
I don't have this bike on the road yet,so I have no idea how it rides, what I do know is;
The front suspension needs a rebuild, when pushing down on the front end the forks don't rebound very much, there is a seal leak..so it may be low on oil & likely the springs are done..it has 103K km. I already have the seals..just have to get to it. I may just get progressive springs for the front anyway.

BTW, if one would get both rear progressive air shocks, is there room to mount them "normally"..that is to say both right side up, instead of one upside down?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm aware that this is an old thread,but, as I'm finding my way around my new to me '88 1500 I'm seeing things that I have not seen before,so, have some patients with me;:)
On the rear suspension..one of the shocks is mounted "upside down":eek: Is there a purpose for this? And, if I were to upgrade to Progressives..would one be mounted upside down like the stock one?
I don't have this bike on the road yet,so I have no idea how it rides, what I do know is;
The front suspension needs a rebuild, when pushing down on the front end the forks don't rebound very much, there is a seal leak..so it may be low on oil & likely the springs are done..it has 103K km. I already have the seals..just have to get to it. I may just get progressive springs for the front anyway.

BTW, if one would get both rear progressive air shocks, is there room to mount them "normally"..that is to say both right side up, instead of one upside down?

Personally I have not seen them mounted upside down. I had an
"88" and a "97" GL1500. I had progressive fork springs and a fork brace on the "88" and on my "97" I had progressive fork springs, fork brace and progressive dual air shocks on the rear. None of the OEM shocks or the replacement shocks were mounted upside down. Maybe you bikes shock were replaced !!!! I would ask you Honda dealer just to be certain or look on line for Honda OEM parts and there is usually an exploaded view picture of all the components.
Have fun.:)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well, I was wondering about it, the left shock has the spring facing up;
I can't see a boot on it either. There were some odd things I found so far, the battery hold down was mounted "backwards"...the two rubber disks were facing out:confused: So, I'm not sure if the P.O. did that or someone else. I have a Hanyes manual I got with the bike, it says that there are two air shocks on the rear..of coarse that's wrong.
So, I'm just trying to sort this stuff out. Thanks for the reply.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Well, I was wondering about it, the left shock has the spring facing up;
I can't see a boot on it either. There were some odd things I found so far, the battery hold down was mounted "backwards"...the two rubber disks were facing out:confused: So, I'm not sure if the P.O. did that or someone else. I have a Hanyes manual I got with the bike, it says that there are two air shocks on the rear..of coarse that's wrong.
So, I'm just trying to sort this stuff out. Thanks for the reply.:)
When you purchase a bike that has had a PO or more, you may find a number of things about it that are questionable. Some folks are not mechanically minded, but think they are and tackle jobs that are beyond their skill. So they improvise a solution. Get a good Honda manual and good luck...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks Charlie; I guess I'm asking if that shock I found is mounted the way it's supposed to be? there must be a LOT of 1500 riders around here...former & present?:confused: BTW, +1 on the factory manuals.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
GL1500 Rear Shock Torque Specs

I’m just wondering if anybody knows offhand the torque specs for the shocks on the GL 1500. I had to move temporarily and I mistakingly packed my manual away in storage and can’t access it right now. I know the lower bolt is a pretty high torque spec! Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Wingrider7. I am sure a 1500 guru will be along soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts