Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
It would help us a lot if we knew the model wing you have.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, you should always mention the model, year, and often milage when you ask a technical question. Also, your location sometimes makes a difference.

Since you have a 2008 with low miles, we can perhaps give you a place to start. Your weight and your passenger's weight are an important part of the equation, too.

If you are of "average Goldwing weight", probably 220-240, I would try about 10-12 solo. If your co-rider is also "average" (180-ish, say) probably around 18-22. Add luggage, crank it up a little more.

Your suspension preload is designed to keep your suspension kind of in the middle of it's travel so it will give damping both in compression and rebound without bottoming out. Goldwing suspension is less than stellar, to say the least. As your supension ages, it gets less and less effective. You kind of need to set this by feel, mostly. If you are bottoming out a lot (your passenger gives a big "ooof!" as you hit a good bump, or starts demanding that you announce the bumps) then you probably need more preload. If you're cranked all the way, then it may be new shock time. New shock time usually comes at around 25K miles or so.

Also, Honda routinely doesn't fully fill the actuator, so it doesn't start working until it hits 4 to 8. Put your bike on the centerstand, and run the preload to zero. Be vewy vewy quiet, as Elmer says, and start running the preload up. When the pitch changes from "EEEEEEEE" to "OOOOOOO" stop. Read the number, that is where you preload stops pumping air and starts pumping fluid.
So, the number also depends on where your adjustor actually starts working.

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
A man, much wiser than most, Tom Finch, who owns TailWind Trailers and is a long time high mileage Wing rider posted an explanation, with illustrations of the rear suspension on the Wing.
His conclusion was to raise the setting to the max 25 and leave it there.
Whatever setting one picks, it does not change how the shock operates. It only changes the preload which affects the ride height some and keeps the suspension from bottoming.
I am assuming one needs to make sure the pump is full first.
When I was still 2 wheeled, I did as Tom suggested, without telling my wife.
On the next ride, she asked what I had done to the rear suspension as the "bumps" and "dips" were not nearly as harsh as before.
I never changed it from 25 after that!

·
Banned
42 Posts
If you are of "average Goldwing weight", probably 220-240, I would try about 10-12 solo. If your co-rider is also "average" (180-ish, say) probably around 18-22. Add luggage, crank it up a little
Old Dog Moto Works
I guess the wife and I need to go to a buffet because clearly we are way below the average weight

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I run my 1800 on 20 empty and just me for relaxed riding. Two-up and loaded for bear or riding more aggressive I run it on 25. Works for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Wing is a 2008. I ride solo 99% of the time and weigh 142. I appreciate all the comments. I'll try different settings and see how it feels.

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
I keep mine almost all the way up, 23, all the time. That gives plenty of clearance on the turns and gets the most from the bumps. I've read what the Deputy said a few places and keep it high.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
25......all the way up!

Mark

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK, so everybody has a setting that works for them, based upon their weight and riding style. At 143 lb solo, the stock spring might actually be the correct weight for Goldwingfd. I think it's about a .85 kg spring. I suggest a 1.1 to 1.2 for most riders, based on weight, passengers, luggage, riding style, etc. The stock spring us usually way to light for the "average" GW rider.

That said, the only way to know what spring is really right, and to set the preload correctly is to measure the sag.
The Wing has 4.1" of rear travel. You want measure where the suspension sits when unloaded, then measure where it is with typical load, rider, feet up, to see where it sits. (you usually need help to hold the bike up and measure). You are looking for a loaded sag measurement of about 25-30% of your 4.1" for travel, or maybe 1 to 1.4 inches of sag.
This will give you as much compression travel as possible while leaving some for rebound.
This is the only way I know to actually set the number correctly. It takes the riders weight, the actual preload setting, and any luggage / saddlebag clutter into account.

If you are near Ormond Beach in Florida, PM me and we can measure it up for you. If you're not near by, it's a touring bike, c'mon down.

Otherwise, crank in a number, see if you like how it feels.

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
15 with me alone and 25 with a passenger..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.