Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end squeaks. :D

Seriously though, not sure where the noise is coming from but pushing the rear suspension down cause it to squeak. Short of disassembling the entire rear end to get to the wheel/swing arm/shocks, are there any simple maintenance procedures that allows for greasing of moving parts? Any zerk fittings for grease? I am waiting on delivery of a manual but it wont get here by this weekend and I am wanting to dig into it then.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Cory

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
so what year is your wing

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
There doesn't appear to be any grease fittings on the rear suspension. I'd check for something rubbing on the shocks or exhaust.
The swing arm bearings are sealed.

detdrbuzzard, check your PMs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There doesn't appear to be any grease fittings on the rear suspension. I'd check for something rubbing on the shocks or exhaust.
The swing arm bearings are sealed.

detdrbuzzard, check your PMs.
Will check there, thanks. Wondering if the shocks are gone after 14 years of use.

Front end gets done this weekend.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey Cory!
My rear end...while it does make noise is more of a full-on "BLATT" !!!
(I know...another newb starting s*** already) LOL

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i had a squeak last year that soundedlike it was the suspension but was the body panel on the right where the bag guard mounts the other was one of my highway boards

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the bike for a good 3 hour ride with the wife yesterday. This squeak noise when fully loaded up is more like a binding noise. It could be body panels, but not sure until I start ripping stuff apart. Seams to be coming from right under the seat area. I have had something similar to this happen with an older bike I had and I turned out to be the shock bushing that held it to the frame. Who knows... Shocks have to get redone anyways.

Changed out the fork oil the other night, that seems to help with the front end a bit. Though still have to change springs there as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I think I have it narrowed down. I took the bags off and there are 2 separate issues. When rotating the rear wheel backwards, there is a noise in the caliper/pads. Sounds like metal on metal. Still working on taking that apart. The rear rotor has been grounds down a bit and will eventually need a new one. Do these pads have scraper bars? I didn't think motorcycle pads did. This noise doesnt happen when rotating wheel forward.

Second, the binding noise I am hearing is coming from the air shock suspension bolts. gently bouncing the bike with my hand on the mounting area, I can hear and feel it binding. How can I fix this? Is there a lube for these suspension bolts? Anti seize like what is used on caliper bolts perhaps?

I am trying to avoid removing the rear wheel completely. Am I able to remove the caliper and shock bolts with the wheel still in place?

Thanks. Taking a trip to the TN/NC mountains next week so trying to get as much done as possible. Trailering the bike up there then riding.

Edit - Ok Seemed to fix the brake noise. Dry caliper pins. Lubed them up with anti seize and that made things quiet again. One thing down.

The binding noise is definitely coming from the air shock. However I can't tell if its the mounting bushings or inside the shock itself. Do these air shock contain oil of any sort? Would like to be able to remedy this by this weekend, though not sure if thats possible.

Edit Again - Found a write up about how to replace the oil in the Air shock. I don't think its leaking but will swap out the oil anyways. Hopefully there is still oil in there and that is didnt all leak out already. Dont have time to change out shock seals.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok problem solved! After completely removing the air shock, draining the oil, refilling with 140cc of SS-7, replacing the boot , adding anti seize to the bottom bolt and a little bit of wheel bearing grease to the top bushing, the squeak is gone!

Now the rear suspension actually moves freely. Now to decide on replacement shocks. Everyone raves about progressives, but I really think I need a spring rate rated for my weight. Hard to beat the price of the Progressive 416s though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts