Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what settings on the suspension people were using for 2 up and for single i have been using 17 for two up,and are there any suggestions on why I should or should'nt change

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I was just wondering what settings on the suspension people were using for 2 up and for single i have been using 17 for two up,and are there any suggestions on why I should or should'nt change
I use 18 for one up. Two up has yet to be determined. I came off a VTX so I'm used to the hard ride feel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I run 1.5psi in front,all the time. In rear i run 25-28 when alone,and 32-38 when 2up,depending on the weight of the passenger,and how much stuff is on board,the closer i get to 38. Everbody is different,these are the settings that give me the ride/control that i like. Just my 2 cents,but 17 seems a bit soft. But,if you are comfy with that,then stay with it. I know there are plenty of discussions here on tire pressure,but i think that goes together with the suspension setup. I run 40rear,41front. '94SE

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
What Wing do you have? GL1500 or GL1800??

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The post by DRMCMTRU mentioned 1.5 front which is a 1500. the original post didn't say anything about front setting, and of course as you know there is no adjustment for the front on an 1800.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Joe, I was thinking he had a 1500 because he mentioned 1.5 psi in the front and as far as I know there is no adjustment on the 1800. Am I wrong about a front adjustment on the 1800? If so where would that adjustment be? Hope he posts back so we can see what he is riding. That's why I always put that kind of information on my signature or avatar so folks will know.

Good to have you back. How was the trip? Any pics for us to enjoy??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
settings

I ride an 08 1800 wing and the question was for the suspention settings I have been riding 2 up at 17 setting juging from the posts this might be to soft ?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I didn't see the 1.5 setting for the front?? Maybe he edited his first post.there is no front adjustment on the 1800.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi cris, I have an '09 and ride at level 6 1 up, and 20 2 up. There isn't much meat on the little lady so she's not a concern weight wise but since we usually take longer day rides, we always take rain gear, cameras, extra clothes and snacks (weather is unpredictable here) etc which adds to the weight. Safe ridin' man.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poncho we like he beach alot so off we go with two beach chairs umbrella ,beach bag with extra clothes I put the trailer hitch on with a small carrier that attaches to it.I was nothavivg any problems but thought i wouldput it out there as this is my first wing i came from an ST and found that if you rode with the suspention to stiff the front wheel hadd a tendency to bounce around to much

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you have an 1800, all of you need to try setting it on max of 25. After reading an article by Tom Finch on another board, I did this and never told the wife. While on the next ride, she asked me what I had done to the suspension as it seemed to take the bumps smoother!!! Stays on 25 all the time now-solo and 2-up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here's something I've always wondered with regard to the rear air suspension setting, and forgive me if I'm being naive, but, does changing the rear air pressure change the geometry of the bike significantly at all...i.e. does the rear raise and lower enough to make a difference?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rob -
According to Stu Oltman's response to a similar question in the August 2010 issue of Wing World the pre-load may be doing little or nothing. It IS supposed to increase pre-load on the shock to raise the back of the bike up a bit prior to loading, however, apparently the material the rear pre-load hose is made of swells and increases the volume of the pre-load adjustment device. Many times only half the intended pre-load is actually achieved when the dash display reads 25. He says he talked to Max at Traxxion about this, which resulted in them offering a braided stainless hose replacement.

I freely admit that I know "0" about Wing suspension :rolleyes:, but I believe Oltman is emminently credible :). When I hit the lottery I'm having the Traxxion Full Monty installed as well as an Iridium plated wham-o-dyne flux capacitor and a driver's cup holder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Suspension Settings

One up 17/ Two up 25. I'm a big boy 6-1/300 lbs. Wife is 5-11/170
Aha ! :)thanks for that little bit of information.I'm new to Wings and I was wondering what was the optimum settings for the suspension.I'm 6 ft...265 pounds.I have it set at 14 solo and 19 two up, and I didn't know if I was imagining it when it seemed to handle better with two up on the higher setting, and then seemed great when I left it on the higher setting (forgot) when i went solo again.So I will punch it up to Maximum and see how that goes.
RAM GPS mounts I saw ,somewhere in this forum (and now I can't find it) a good place to get gps mounts to suit Goldwing handlebars. Can't seem to find anyone in Australia who can help me on this.:mad:
Cheers
Graham from Downunder

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Here's something I've always wondered with regard to the rear air suspension setting, and forgive me if I'm being naive, but, does changing the rear air pressure change the geometry of the bike significantly at all...i.e. does the rear raise and lower enough to make a difference?
NO and I assume you are talking about a 1500 as the 1800 does not have air suspension. It has a hydraulic pump to adjust a preload spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts