Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Wing and I was wondering if it hurts the preload adjuster if you use it when you are sitting on it not on the center stand. The manual says to put it on the center stand before adjusting it, but it seems to work fine off the stand. It's a pain to have to get off and put it on the stand when you are playing around with the settings. Is it a air or electric motor? Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I don't think Honda wastes words in their owner's manual, except the notice about not pulling a trailer. I would put it on the center stand as it says to do.

Very soon, you will leave that setting alone most of the time. Play with the GPS.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Although almost everyone does this, it is not good for the system-especially the extra stress place on the fluid hose.
Honda also means not to tow a trailer! Have a hitch-lose a warranty!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did not know that the bike was supposed to be on the center stand when adjusting pre-load. I use mine each time I put the bike on the center stand, running it up to the max, I think its #25, makes getting it on the stand lots easier. Then of course I bring it back down before riding. I couldn't have it on the center stand for adjustment when I need the adjustment to get it on the center stand. Catch 22? Hope it keeps working. Anyone ever had the preload go out on a GL 1800?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks for the replies. I'll put it on the center stand. Don't want to break it before I make the first payment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Although almost everyone does this, it is not good for the system-especially the extra stress place on the fluid hose.
Honda also means not to tow a trailer! Have a hitch-lose a warranty!
I mean no disrespect to deputydawg or anyone else here--but I have to disagree. If your suspension can't handle the load of pumping itself up with the weight of passengers on it standing still then how can it handle the sudden jarring of bumps and holes in the pavement as you ride down the road? That makes no sense to me. :confused:

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I confess. I have been changing my suspension settings from time to time while stopped at a traffic light with my butt off the seat. I confess. I have never read the Owners Manual cover to cover.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I mean no disrespect to deputydawg or anyone else here--but I have to disagree. If your suspension can't handle the load of pumping itself up with the weight of passengers on it standing still then how can it handle the sudden jarring of bumps and holes in the pavement as you ride down the road? That makes no sense to me. :confused:
That would be a good question for Honda Customer Service. So would asking why the Manual tells one not to pull a trailer!
There was also a lengthly explanation of the Wings rear suspension done by Tom Finch on the GL1800 board some time ago.
Tom is a very wise man w/several patents to his name and the owner of TailwindTrailers.
In his explanation he explained the reasons for placing the preload on the max 25 and leaving it there.
Very strange to me but, because I had been searching for the "right" setting for my wife and I, I tried it without telling the wife.
Next ride she asked me what I had done to the suspension because the bumps were not as harsh anymore! I never touched the preset again while the bike was still 2 wheels!

·
Registered
77 Posts
That would be a good question for Honda Customer Service. So would asking why the Manual tells one not to pull a trailer!
There was also a lengthly explanation of the Wings rear suspension done by Tom Finch on the GL1800 board some time ago.
Tom is a very wise man w/several patents to his name and the owner of TailwindTrailers.
In his explanation he explained the reasons for placing the preload on the max 25 and leaving it there.
Very strange to me but, because I had been searching for the "right" setting for my wife and I, I tried it without telling the wife.
Next ride she asked me what I had done to the suspension because the bumps were not as harsh anymore! I never touched the preset again while the bike was still 2 wheels!
I recall reading Tom's posts on the other forum--Tailwind Trailers has a great bio on him--a very intelligent and accomplished man indeed. Add in his Goldwing experience and it's hard to imagine anyone more qualified to comment on things like this--outside some Honda Engineers in Japan. And I doubt they'll post on any forums. :) I wish Tom would post here--I can't stomach the GL1800 forum--way too many obnoxious knuckleheads to wade through. :(

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That's another on my list for my friend in the tech dept. My guess is it's in the actuation device/system not the suspension components themselves. If I get any info back I'll post it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts