Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 as my first wing and have a question about the use of the suspension preload. I understand to set it to a higher level when loaded up or riding with a passenger, but what about when alone.? One mechanic says he always sets it to the highest number as it helps the bike want to stand up, coming out of curves. He uses the low setting for lots of short turns in the city. Can someone explain the effect of the settings on riding when not taking on additional weight? Thanks, I have had my wing for only a few months and am still learning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use high number like 18 19 when riding two up. 5 6 is what I am by myself. Higher or stiffer is always better for aggressive riding and cornering. I find it is mostly about the recoil or how much the bike pops you after you hit a sharp chop or bump. Also higher numbers allow you not to touch bottom on speed bumps. GW are ready to bottom out and bust up the plastic over flow bottle.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
It's all about feel. I like mine set at max 25 when riding two up. When riding solo I set mine to 18. I prefer the max 25 setting riding solo as it makes the bike more responsive in the turns.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have read many simliar responses.
The general consensus is that if you carry more weight, and or want a rock stable sled in the twisties you set it high.
Solo comfort, without getting too crazy in the twisites you set it lower.

I run mine set at 11 when solo, and 22 with with wife on it. Still expiermenting with what works the best for me. Everyone is obviously a little different in what works for them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread. I've kept my preload numbers low with just me (5), and only a little higher with my wife (15).

I've been worried about setting it too stiff with the wife onboard because of her back problems. I found on my previous bike (a little Suzuki M50) that the stiffer settings caused her discomfort when I hit little bumps in the road.

I may take it up a notch and see how she fairs with the stiffer ride. At least the GW is easy to adjust. The M50 required the removal of the seat and battery and a hard pull with a wrench.

-WM

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I have mine at 15 and 25. Seems like a good combo for me..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I have found that the ride quality doesn't suffer at the highest settings. I'm never below 20 anymore and 22-25 for aggressive and two up riding

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have found that the ride quality doesn't suffer at the highest settings. I'm never below 20 anymore and 22-25 for aggressive and two up riding
I'm finding that as well as I go along. I've got the Traxxion 1,100-lb. spring and I have forgotten to drop down from 25 when I've raised it to get on the center stand easier. I rode many miles solo on 25 and never noticed it being more harsh. These days I'm running 10 solo and 20 2-up--when I remember to adjust it. :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A very wise man (Tom Finch-owner of TailWind trailers) give a very in depth explanation of the Wings rear suspension on another board some time ago.
His conclusion was to set the pre-load on the max 25 and leave it there!
I did this without telling the wife(when we were still 2-wheels). Very next ride, she asked me what I had done as the bumps did not seem as harsh anymore.
Doesn't seem right but, I did what he said and never touched the preload again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
A very wise man (Tom Finch-owner of TailWind trailers) give a very in depth explanation of the Wings rear suspension on another board some time ago.
His conclusion was to set the pre-load on the max 25 and leave it there!
I did this without telling the wife(when we were still 2-wheels). Very next ride, she asked me what I had done as the bumps did not seem as harsh anymore.
Doesn't seem right but, I did what he said and never touched the preload again!
I'm going to try that--thanks. I've been hesitant to go higher on the preload than necessary because of the height issue--I'm already on a gel pad and my reach to the ground is borderline flat-foot. But I'm not really noticing the bike raising up much on the higher settings.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I had heard that also about leaving it at the highest setting. I have mine at 22 solo and 25 two up. Although I must say I do not notice much difference, any setting is a fine ride.

·
Registered
174 Posts
FWIW, there have been a couple write ups on rear suspension in the GWRRA magazine. There are some who believe there is enough flex in the rubber hose used by the preload adjuster that it is rendered useless. Some of the adjusters examined do almost nothing until you get to 7 or 8 on the dial the then do not ever get to the maximum preload. They recommend, especially on older bikes, that the rubber hose be changed to a teflon (I think) braided steel hose to make the system work properly. I haven't done that yet, but it may have some merit.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
FWIW, there have been a couple write ups on rear suspension in the GWRRA magazine. There are some who believe there is enough flex in the rubber hose used by the preload adjuster that it is rendered useless. Some of the adjusters examined do almost nothing until you get to 7 or 8 on the dial the then do not ever get to the maximum preload. They recommend, especially on older bikes, that the rubber hose be changed to a teflon (I think) braided steel hose to make the system work properly. I haven't done that yet, but it may have some merit.
Re, the pump not starting to working @ 0. Start w/preload @ 0. Push the up button. Listen to the pump. If the gage doesn't "load" til 7 or 8 or above then the pump needs fluid added to it. I am not a believer of the hose "wearing out" to the point it expands. However, one should note the bike is to be on the center stand, elevating the rear tire in the air to adjust the preload. Who knows what your are doing to the pump, hose or whatever if you ignore this instruction:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
pre-load

Hi all, I'm a newbe and reading articles trying to learn new things abomake the rear end more sut my '97 wing. In the preload are you talking about the air in the shocks? I have a voyager kit on mine and have lowered the pressure to about 25 lbs. with just one up? I have some wobble when coming out of a turn and I thought lowering the pressure would make the rear-end more stable. Thanks for your imput. Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tank

Was running mine at 9 and bike seemed to float on the interstate. Old winger suggested i keep it up around 18. That did the trick.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Hi all, I'm a newbe and reading articles trying to learn new things abomake the rear end more sut my '97 wing. In the preload are you talking about the air in the shocks? I have a voyager kit on mine and have lowered the pressure to about 25 lbs. with just one up? I have some wobble when coming out of a turn and I thought lowering the pressure would make the rear-end more stable. Thanks for your imput. Bob
Your problem is unique to the unit. The pre-load on the Voyager is 1/2" for Wings, but can be increased to 3/4". Less pre-load = more lean and more pre-load = less lean. Rear air shocks are set at about 80% of system capacity, I have mine set at 46 psi. Voyager tires at 20psi. Front fork air assist 0.
You have a 1500 with a different rear suspension on the bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
preload

Hi again, Thanks for your imput. I'll try the settings and see how they work. I think the dealer that installed the kit used a 1/2" block for the pre-load. Then because he weighs a good 80 lbs or so than I do, he pumped the air press. up to 65 lbs. I also had a chrome bumper that would hit on a good bump. I took it off as a precaution as to not hurt the bumper and lights. I'm still trying to learn about this set-up but am enjoying it more and more. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ok, help me out here guys. I have an '86 Aspy triked with a voyager "type" trike kit. What do you all think a "preload" should be for my situation? I am new to all of this and am not really sure what to do with the preload. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
The numbers are the same for all Wings 1/2" pre-load on Voyager.
80% of air suspension capacity.
20 psi Voyager tires.
0 psi front fork air assist.

Process to set unit:
Only 20 psi on Voyager tires. (Make sure that motorcycle rear air shocks are at 80% capacity. Normal tire pressure on both motorcycle tires.)

1. Tools needed: 3/4”, 7/16”, sockets or wrenches and a torque wrench.

2. Loosen the (8) 1/2” U-bolt nuts. (If you have the
old style suspension lock bar you will, also, need to
loosen the (2) 3/8” lock nuts on the suspension lock bar using a 9/16” socket or wrench.)

3. Remove the 1/2” Short Shock Tower Bolts, nuts, washers, spacers completely from top of shock and shock tower.

4. Roll motorcycle rear tire onto 1/4”, 1/2”, or 3/4” preload plate.
(Make sure motorcycle is in first gear when tire is on top of preload plate.). The more preload the less lean you will have with the motorcycle inside the Voyager Kit.

5. Now tighten the (8) U-bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (torque wrench is needed) (If you have the old style suspension lock bar you will, also, need to tighten the (2) 3/8” lock nuts.)
Reinstall short shock tower bolts, washers, nuts, & spacers and tighten completely.

6. Now you are ready to ride again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts