Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear and read a lot about the traxion suspension...I just can't (guess I don't want to) believe that the suspension on the stock bike is so bad that you have to spend another $2600 to fix it. How many of you have had to do this? Is it really that bad? I just got the wing (used) in November and I don't seem to feel these problems...am I in denial?????

·
Banned
5 Posts
If you see nothing wrong with it, then I suggest you chuckle to yourself at the amount of money you saved.

Stock, I love how the 1800 rides (65K and 7 years). My previous ride was a 1500, and in comparison I definitely see nothing wrong with her. Don't let Max poison your pool.

·
Registered
741 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the stock Goldwing suspension. The group I ride with almost every weekend consists of sportbikes. The Goldwing easily keeps up with 90 percent of them. I have two friends with full Traxxion suspensions and each of them have been off line several times due to blown rear shocks. The Goldwing is surprisingly good at aggressive riding although you do have to take into account the weight and soft spring rates or you will bottom and g-out. Save your money unless its burning a hole in your pocket, but it wont make you a better rider. I also have been against disabling the anti-dive. However, I just bought a spacer from Wingstuff and will try it just to be sure. That's alot of money you can put to good use elsewhere.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Like most things, if you have the time and $$ you can improve on any product. For the vast majority of Wing riders the stock suspension if more than adaquate. For those who want more and have the $$ there is Traxxion. Your bike, your $$, your choice.

For me, stock will do....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't see anyone mentioning Progressive? I have new fork & shock springs to go in my two 1200's...total of about $390. beats the heck out of $2600...:eek::eek::eek: I also have two "super braces" one for each.:D
Clearly I can't comment on the difference in how they will ride since they are still in the box,but, many have these springs and I have not heard of anyone who had a problem or thought it was not worth doing.:)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I don't think it's a secret that the current fork setup in the Wings is low-tech for what the suspension should be on this caiber of a bike. The best tourer in the world should have the best fork IMO. I haven't had a chance to ride a 2012, but I'd like to know what the difference actually is. I can't even look it up yet since my dealer site doesn't have the service manual loaded on it yet (major bummer).
The members herre that have the Traxxion mod really like it, and I've spoken with them and a couple of their installers in Canada and if my front end goes wonky, that's where I'm headed. Gives me an excuse for a trip to Kelowna if nothing else. But having said that, I don't see it anytime soon.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My question is does a $4000+ (full Traxxion setup) make sense in a motorcycle designed for road use vs. track/race use. I didn't even spend that amount of money for a full Ollins race suspension for my GSXR1000. It makes my GSXR very rough and uncomfortable on the street and track, but at speed, its what keeps the rubber on the ground. I can justify suspension upgrades of this nature on my sportbike because of the speed I am travelling and the need to keep the wheel planted at more demanding speeds and forces. All in all, if anyone wants to spend that amount of money and will be happy with it, by all means go for it. I personally will spend my money elsewhere unless of course my suspension needs replacing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Depends on what one decides is real or imagined "improvement".
I don't care for the somewhat "harshness" of the front end but, not displeased enough to spend that kind of money.
Put my rear preload on 25, which for whatever reason, pleased my wife. She asked me what I'd done as the bumps were not as "hard" anymore. Go figure!
I have now triked and never realized exactly how smooth the ride could really be on a bike! It's a Hannigan IRS. Still have the OEM front but, added a rake kit which also seemed to improve the front!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you spend $2500 on an upgrade and someone asks you how is it? What are you going to say??????? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you spend $2500 on an upgrade and someone asks you how is it? What are you going to say??????? :rolleyes:
$2500 doesn't "get it" for the "Full Monty"! $4,000
There are a few on another board that have stated no improvement, even a "harder" ride.
One should test ride, then decide!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm considering progressives for my 82 Interstate....hoping that will help keep us from bottoming out when riding 2 up.....seems there's a lot more to us than there was back in '84 when I bought my first wing....bought this one feeling nostalgic...or maybe a little crazy.
Anyway, please share your opinion on the progressive suspension....Thanx!

·
Registered
78 Posts
$2500 doesn't "get it" for the "Full Monty"! $4,000
There are a few on another board that have stated no improvement, even a "harder" ride.
One should test ride, then decide!
4k,lol,,,not quite

im not rich by any means,i had it on my 02 and got the full monty on the 2nd day I got my 2010,if it was not worth it on my 02 I sure would not have done it to my new bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm probably in the minority in that I ride Wings partially because they've nearly always had a pretty cushy ride and still handled pretty decent .I've had every size of Wing so far and my new to me 04 is by far the worst ride to date.I didn't buy it to be a sport bike,so I have no need for the harsh/stiff ride.While I can't and won't spend $4 G's to make this better I did buy a 2013 rear trike take-off shock/spring and pump ass.(which supposedly got a lot better in 2012) and will be replacing the front springs with Traxxion ones.I have already added the spacer to make the anti-dive less aggressive.If that doesn't do it for us then I'll probably be looking to trade for a nice low mile 2000 SE.More room and a ride more fitting to the worlds best touring bike.JMHO.

PS While on on a bit of a breakaway the stock handlebars are too low and too narrow for my liking.Nothing that another $100 won't cure on top of the $4 k.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't see anyone mentioning Progressive?
The title of the thread got my attention as my bike has Progressives but it came with the bike, installed by the former owner, so I can't really comment on how much difference it made but I can say the bike does handle nice in the curves 1 or 2 up. Perhaps they all do so I don't know but I have no complaints. Considering the bike already has adjustable suspension on the rear I've wondered why the PO installed them or what they were supposed to fix or improve.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I'm considering progressives for my 82 Interstate....hoping that will help keep us from bottoming out when riding 2 up.....seems there's a lot more to us than there was back in '84 when I bought my first wing....bought this one feeling nostalgic...or maybe a little crazy.
Anyway, please share your opinion on the progressive suspension....Thanx!
I have a 87' aspy with progressive suspension. On our old bikes it makes a world of difference, especially since they are only about 450 bucks to do both front and rear. No longer bottoms out on two up riding and handles the twisties with meaning now. I will also suggest buying a superbrace for it while your doing it. I advent got the rears installed on mine yet but did install them on my father 87 aspy and tried them over 100 miles. It's like daylight and dark. With just the fork springs changed in mine I can tell a major difference in twisties. Good luck. :DramaLlama:

·
Banned
578 Posts
$4000? I once bought a new car for $4000, okay but yes somewhere back in the long ago.

Okay, GL1800 has a "Lincoln Town Car" suspension (I assume on purpose). It will wallow in turns at high speed and if there are serious bumps in the turn you might have an issue. I heard it referred to as "sporty" and that it can keep up with Sportbikes. This is complete nonsense. It lacks the power, suspension, ground clearance. On my rare rides in the canyon sporty riders pass me on the outside doing a wheelie.

That being said I think it is as close to perfect as any machine ever built. Not perfect but as close as anyone has come. I don't care about carving the canyon (I used to and I had Duc on which to do it). I care about smooth highway miles, comfotable seat, wind protection, plenty of top-gear roll-on power, RELIABILITY, low maintenance, luggage capacity, big-ass alternator, cruise control that really works.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That being said I think it is as close to perfect as any machine ever built. Not perfect but as close as anyone has come. I don't care about carving the canyon (I used to and I had Duc on which to do it). I care about smooth highway miles, comfotable seat, wind protection, plenty of top-gear roll-on power, RELIABILITY, low maintenance, luggage capacity, big-ass alternator, cruise control that really works.
Sporty enough for me. As old as I am it did put a wee bid of a grin on me lips showing the harley guys my tail lights while winding through the mountain highways a couple of weeks ago. My wife gave me the :nono: look when we stopped for gas but deep down I think she kind of liked it too. :D

But yeah, I agree with you on all the above points.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had it done.. I like it

Im new to Goldwing and the board. I bought an 05 in the Spring. I had not been riding for a couple of years. It wasnt long before I noticed on the roads around Reno in the mountains that I felt the front wheel "chatter"... moving around in the corners. But then I also felt it going around almost any corner. I got increasingly nervous at the white "paint" at intersections and felt I had to go so slower than normal. Had never experienced it before on any of my other bikes, and also the 30 mph slight wobble.. when accelerating around town. Then there was the harsh bumps, I am ok with firm, and I like a kind of firm but accurate feel, but the harshness of the bumps around town,, or anywhere was not fun. It seemed wrong to me. I switched from dunlops to metzlers but no real change. didnt really expect it but felt a little better with what seemed a "grippier" tire.

I had the front and rear and fork brace from traxxion installed. It is much much better. Have felt none of the above since the install. I am getting my nerve back..... it felt that weird to me. I use the rear brake to slow maneuver, and the anti dive valve would kick in and jerk the bike. Now no issues with it gone. I feel the bumps but not the crashing/ jarring...... Now i am starting to relax and enjoy the bike like I thought i would. still working on the handlebar position, and maybe the seat.... took me two seats on my bmw, at least three on the road king, and probably 3 handle bars on both harleys.... but when its right.. its worth it to me. I spent considerable time reading the comments here, really trying to hear both sides of this. considered progressive, but thought... I want it right... for me..I didnt want to do one move and then feel I needed to do another.. was not thrilled with the cost, but since this is my one bike now my only toy/hobby,,, i wanted it to feel right to me.

And hearing a fellow rider in the shop one day relate his tale of being up in the hills and took his hands off the bars for a second...at about 35 mph and got a severe wobble that would not stop until he stopped the bike. He did have a worn front tire... kind of scalloped.... but that kind of thing is not unheard of.

For those who it does not bother... I think that is great... but in my case, it bothered me, and I am committed to the Wing. I really like it, especially now and intend to do some very long rides. Also, what I really like and appreciate, are the comments from other riders. It really helps to know what others have done, and how they feel about it. Then we do our own thing.... gotta love it.

So, for me, considering what I felt that I didnt like, and what I wanted to avoid experiencing if possible, then getting it done, and then getting a few hundred miles on it and thinking,,, dam... still not feeling any issues... it is worth it.

Not being a mechanic or at a level mechanically that I felt comfortable shipping the forks myself.... my dealer pulled them and shipped them to Georgia/traxxion. There is no Traxxion installer near by, and the trip cost to an installer for me was a trade off.

They were also great to work with by phone and email.

Hopefully this rambling will help someone.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Im new to Goldwing and the board. I bought an 05 in the Spring. I had not been riding for a couple of years. It wasnt long before I noticed on the roads around Reno in the mountains that I felt the front wheel "chatter"... moving around in the corners. But then I also felt it going around almost any corner. I got increasingly nervous at the white "paint" at intersections and felt I had to go so slower than normal. Had never experienced it before on any of my other bikes, and also the 30 mph slight wobble.. when accelerating around town. Then there was the harsh bumps, I am ok with firm, and I like a kind of firm but accurate feel, but the harshness of the bumps around town,, or anywhere was not fun. It seemed wrong to me. I switched from dunlops to metzlers but no real change. didnt really expect it but felt a little better with what seemed a "grippier" tire.

<snip>
I wouldn't find myself spending $4k on upgrades, but I did find spending $600 - $700 well worthwhile when I installed progressive monotubes and a new billet triple tree clamp this summer. It really did take a lot of the wish-washyness out of the steering on my wing.

Interesting you mention the 'chatter' in some turns. Having experienced that myself was another reason for my wanting something a little better than stock. This summer when riding with Ron, Wingrat and their friend Ray they mentioned twice (once on the Beartooth I believe) noticing a bit of unnerving chatter in a turn and at the time I was thinking gee whiz, I didn't even notice it. I'll choose to believe it's because the upgrades prevented it. Could also be that I missed the specific spots they noticed, but I doubt it.

I'm probably in the minority in that I ride Wings partially because they've nearly always had a pretty cushy ride and still handled pretty decent .I've had every size of Wing so far and my new to me 04 is by far the worst ride to date.I didn't buy it to be a sport bike,so I have no need for the harsh/stiff ride.While I can't and won't spend $4 G's to make this better I did buy a 2013 rear trike take-off shock/spring and pump ass.(which supposedly got a lot better in 2012) and will be replacing the front springs with Traxxion ones.I have already added the spacer to make the anti-dive less aggressive.If that doesn't do it for us then I'll probably be looking to trade for a nice low mile 2000 SE.More room and a ride more fitting to the worlds best touring bike.JMHO.

PS While on on a bit of a breakaway the stock handlebars are too low and too narrow for my liking.Nothing that another $100 won't cure on top of the $4 k.
Chris - I'll bet you'd really see an improvement with the progressives and a new tree. The progressives also take most of the harshness out of the handles on bumps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.