Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of 2010 Wing, question if anyone has had experience with adding a Fork Stabilizer. Does it do anything to the handling characteristics? Is it worth it? I had one installed on ST1300 and it seemed to help the handling somewhat. But hard to tell.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Fork braces do improve the handling of a bike. I've had a Superbrace before and really liked it.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Had one on my 98 GL1500 and it seemed to help with low speed turning and handling. Don't have one on my 09 1800. Seems to be okay without one..

·
Registered
741 Posts
You will not find any fork brace of any kind on any current race bike, be it dirt or road, and for good reason. Forks are designed to work independently of each other, not to be linked together. The flex between the left and right fork and is calculated by engineers for the specific type of duty the fork is to perform. Of course cheap manufacturers will use skinny flexy forks to save money. If flex was a bad thing, my race dirtbikes and trackbikes would have huge 70mm monster forks. They do not, and in fact, the huge stiff forks which came on the market a years back have been scaled down to what we currently have. I'm not making this up so check this out for yourself. Again, I'm not downing anyone who swears by them because if they are happy, its all ok. If you have followed any of my posts, you probably know I'm that guy that opposes spending any money on gimmicks. I totally understand buying things for bling purposes as I've been guilty as charged. Just don't expect a fork brace to transform your 900lb BBW into a svelt athletic Ninja beater, or any better than a stock Wing. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have one each for my 1200's. One NOS the other used, I paid $58 for the new one & $70 for the used one:eek:...go figure! Both from e-bay, I found the used one first...if that gives me any street creds???;)..LOL
I can't comment on either because both bikes are waiting work to be able to ride them. I have heard many comments from other riders that have noticed a marked improvement in low speed handling and turn-ins. I'm no mechanic,but, I can't picture how two forks could work independently from each other, I mean they ARE bolted together at the axle...I can't see how wheel bearings would last long with up/down & side forces from independent movement of the forks???:confused::
But, on a different note; There are MANY things I don't know about....:eek: Always willing to learn....;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will not find any fork brace of any kind on any current race bike, be it dirt or road, and for good reason. Forks are designed to work independently of each other, not to be linked together. The flex between the left and right fork and is calculated by engineers for the specific type of duty the fork is to perform. Of course cheap manufacturers will use skinny flexy forks to save money. If flex was a bad thing, my race dirtbikes and trackbikes would have huge 70mm monster forks. They do not, and in fact, the huge stiff forks which came on the market a years back have been scaled down to what we currently have. I'm not making this up so check this out for yourself. Again, I'm not downing anyone who swears by them because if they are happy, its all ok. If you have followed any of my posts, you probably know I'm that guy that opposes spending any money on gimmicks. I totally understand buying things for bling purposes as I've been guilty as charged. Just don't expect a fork brace to transform your 900lb BBW into a svelt athletic Ninja beater, or any better than a stock Wing. Just my two cents.
Appreciate the input. Don't like gimmicks, but sometimes they work. I think I will give this a try as it appears to work on the ST1300 that I had a couple years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have one each for my 1200's. One NOS the other used, I paid $58 for the new one & $70 for the used one:eek:...go figure! Both from e-bay, I found the used one first...if that gives me any street creds???;)..LOL
I can't comment on either because both bikes are waiting work to be able to ride them. I have heard many comments from other riders that have noticed a marked improvement in low speed handling and turn-ins. I'm no mechanic,but, I can't picture how two forks could work independently from each other, I mean they ARE bolted together at the axle...I can't see how wheel bearings would last long with up/down & side forces from independent movement of the forks???:confused::
But, on a different note; There are MANY things I don't know about....:eek: Always willing to learn....;)
I have the brace on order, will let you know if I can see any differences. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The biggest thing you will notice is the immediate stiffness as you turn the bar. On your stock Wing, you can turn the bars back and forth, right and left and see the flex (twist) in the forks from the bar to the front wheel. The fork brace will stiffen this action as you change the fulcrum point. In the real world, this perceived stiffness does not mean that it will outperform a stock setup. Vice versa, deflections to the front wheel will be transmitted to the bars as well. As for BladeRunner's comments, not only is there side to side flex but also flex in the form of twist. Its all a matter of perception. For some the added stiffness and more immediate feedback at the bars is desirable. Others find compliance to be more attractive. Fork brace or none at all, you will be fine either way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed the Super Brace with no problems and slow speed handling appears to be improved. Do not get a noise or any impact on the handle bars when going over bumps at slow speed in a turn. Have not noticed any changes in higher speeds. Not sure if this is a benefit or not, but it is a change in the handling characteristics.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You must first understand THIS AIN'T NO DIRT BIKE! Wings weigh over 900lbs depending on acc. Have installed super-braces on all my touring bikes and would not ride without one.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hmmm...had one on your 1200? There was one for sale on one of the forums so i asked about it for my '86 GL1200 TRIKE. The answer was that it wouldn't help my trike at all. In fact, it might make it handle worse. Really? Because it is triked? How or why would that make a difference?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hmmm...had one on your 1200? There was one for sale on one of the forums so i asked about it for my '86 GL1200 TRIKE. The answer was that it wouldn't help my trike at all. In fact, it might make it handle worse. Really? Because it is triked? How or why would that make a difference?
Well, first of all, you've added a third wheel...there is no doubt this will cause a reaction between the more stiff cranehoffs and the smaller grunches, usually the grunches will wear quickly and you will be constantly replacing them, this adds up quickly and you will then need to dip into your farkel budget..and it just gets worse from there:eek::eek:..Or not!:D

·
Registered
741 Posts
Wingstuff has a special group buy on the grunches.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well gents I bought the Kuryakyn fork brace over the superbrace because of the style and thickness. I installed it in 30 mins and took her out for a ride.. Now, I'm here to tell you that I feel a difference! The slow speeds and turns and more smoother and the overall ride seems to be more stable.. It wont get rid of the 40 mph shimmy but it smooths it out a bit.. I SOLD

JMHO
Bingo

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went with the Kuryankan fork brace. It looked better and I liked to style. I felt a huge difference. I also change out my stock steering bearings "All Balls".. Best upgrade ever !!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts