Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the pro's and con's concerning to "brace" the Wing forks or not. I decided the only way to determine if the SuperBrace would do what it claimed was to try it out. I ordered a Black Powder Coated Billet SuperBrace from CycleGiant.com/WingStuff.com and had it installed today. The Brace was on sale.

The Motorcycle shop charged 1/2 hr. labor to install the SuperBrace, and also checked out a minor electrical problem for me at the same time.

Rode 40+ miles back home. The Wing's handling was a tad stiffer, in a good way. To me the handling was not as mushy as pre Brace. When stopping for gas, I was able to tool around the gas pumps much easier than I could before, the Wing's low speed handling was much better for me.

In summary, the SuperBrace, at sale price :), has improved my Wings handling.
Ride Safe,
T-Rex

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Glad it performed as you hoped/expected. I had one on my 98 GL1500 and found it helped in slow speed handling. I don't have one on the GL1800 yet because I haven't noticed the same problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm interested in installing one of these on my bike. How do they install, is it something a pretty good shade tree mechanic can do in his garage?

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I've had one on my 93 since it was new, none of the low speed wobble I had on my 85 before I put a brace on it.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm interested in installing one of these on my bike. How do they install, is it something a pretty good shade tree mechanic can do in his garage?
Haven't done one myself, but it just bolts on with a squeeze clamp like set up. It replaces the plastic chrome fork seal covers which do nothing but look chrome.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
jay, Here is a copy of the actual installation instructions from Superbrace for the 1800. Even though PDF says to 2006 the description on website says 2010.

http://www.superbrace.com/install/2318.pdf

Shadetree can handle it no problem.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Haven't done one myself, but it just bolts on with a squeeze clamp like set up. It replaces the plastic chrome fork seal covers which do nothing but look chrome.
Actually if you are talking about the chrome fork Chaps, they do serve a purpose. They protect the area above the folk seal from bug splatter.
Dried bugs on the fork tubes are murder on the seals. Also they look really cool. ;)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Had a Superbrace on my '84, huge inprovement in handling. The stock brace was shot (free-play in the mount holes) so that's likely what made it seem so good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for answering my questions. After posting last night I did a google search and found a video of an install on Blackwing braces, I'm sure the procedure is the same for any brace on the market.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I read the pro's and con's concerning to "brace" the Wing forks or not. I decided the only way to determine if the SuperBrace would do what it claimed was to try it out. I ordered a Black Powder Coated Billet SuperBrace from CycleGiant.com/WingStuff.com and had it installed today. The Brace was on sale.

The Motorcycle shop charged 1/2 hr. labor to install the SuperBrace, and also checked out a minor electrical problem for me at the same time.

Rode 40+ miles back home. The Wing's handling was a tad stiffer, in a good way. To me the handling was not as mushy as pre Brace. When stopping for gas, I was able to tool around the gas pumps much easier than I could before, the Wing's low speed handling was much better for me.

In summary, the SuperBrace, at sale price :), has improved my Wings handling.
Ride Safe,
T-Rex
I've got one on my 1989 GL1500. It does stiffen things a tad but with a trike kit, I needed a little stiffer, especially for sharp turns. While it doesn't turn a GW into a new bike, it may help alleviate some complaints people might have. It's worth the $55 or so that CycleGiant sells'em for, which is like $20 cheaper than most others.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just ordered my Superbrace from Wingstuff. Can't wait to see how it makes my bike handle.

I think I better call it quits on ordering goodies for the GW for a while or the Missus will take away my credit card.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've read that folks that have a bit of mechanical wherewithall can install a fork brace in ten minutes; however, mechanical I'm not...I opted for the 1/2 hr labor charge. Yesterday I rode about 98 miles under varied conditions, highway, heavy traffic, neighborhood, etc. I believe the Wing does handle better with the fork brace, but that's just my opinion. The mechanic who installed the fork brace did give my the chrome/plastic guards that he removed. Good Luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually if you are talking about the chrome fork Chaps, they do serve a purpose. They protect the area above the folk seal from bug splatter.
Dried bugs on the fork tubes are murder on the seals. Also they look really cool. ;)
Good point.

FYI, the SuperBrace has little flanges that replicate the splatter guard functionality.

For a shadetree or lesser mechanic, it really is a super easy install but the directions are crap. There are, as others have linked to, many video how tos that make this accessable by the average joe. If you can change your oil, you can do this.

I've recently mounted mine, acquired from the Wingstuff sale. It is hard to be truly objective about the impact on handling as I'm trying to find and justify the very outcome I'm assessing. But I have it, like it, and am now confident that I can stiffly navigate around with stealth and vigor, so that counts for something. And while it may not matter in the end, people spend a lot more for chrome that doesn't have ANY chance of being productive, so I have a nice little warm spot in my belly with my new brace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Superbrace or Kuryakyn New Gen 2 GL1800 Chrome Fork Brace?
Does it really matter?
I got the Kuryakyn much more beefier, better quality. Installed it myself, wasn't a problem. Installed it in my garage with limited tools and know how. Just follow the instructions and shouldn't be a problem. I recommend them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Installing the Super Brace...

Not a problem. Only four bolts torqued to 10 ft.lbs.. You remove the useless plastic trim. Install the brace at the top of the forks where the tubes slide in and out and torque the four bolts as mentioned above and then install the trim pieces on each side and your done. Enjoy!!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just finished putting it on the bike, took about 20 minutes, wouldn't have taken that long but a friend stopped to look at the bike and had to get the whole tour.

I haven't road tested it yet, have to take the Missus in to town first, I'll give my report later.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts