Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a super short (12in or less) windshield for my 2003 GL1800A. Shortest I’ve been able to find is about 14” but that’s right about at eye level for me.

Has anyone tried to install on F6B windshield on the first gen GL1800? Is the curve the same? I’m pretty sure I could alter the mounting holes (or make new ones) if needed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I do not believe they are directly interchangable but certainly could be modified. The Goldwing has height adjustability. Have you unlatched the adjustment levers and dropped it all the way down? On the GL1800 you need to pull it all the way up first and then it will drop all the way down and you can relock the latches. You can even loosen up the bolts (you need to remove the windshield garnish to access them) and slide the shield down on the bolts and the bolts down in the adjustment slots. There are plenty of instruction and videos if you want to remove the windshield garnish but beware of the two small screws behind the mirrors. Put a cloth, tape and/or magnet under them to catch them before they fall down into the fairing.

You can also cut a stock shield down. A sabre or jig saw works well.

I'm 5'10" and even in the upper most position I could see over my stock shield.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Plenty of posts and YouTube videos on how to cut one down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not believe they are directly interchangable but certainly could be modified. The Goldwing has height adjustability. Have you unlatched the adjustment levers and dropped it all the way down? On the GL1800 you need to pull it all the way up first and then it will drop all the way down and you can relock the latches. You can even loosen up the bolts (you need to remove the windshield garnish to access them) and slide the shield down on the bolts and the bolts down in the adjustment slots. There are plenty of instruction and videos if you want to remove the windshield garnish but beware of the two small screws behind the mirrors. Put a cloth, tape and/or magnet under them to catch them before they fall down into the fairing.

You can also cut a stock shield down. A sabre or jig saw works well.

I'm 5'10" and even in the upper most position I could see over my stock shield.
When I got the bike the screen was stuck up so I'm very familiar with the inner workings of the mechanism. Cutting one down is an option but I'm not sure how hard it is to make it look good. Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I purchased a MadStad windshield for my 2004 GL1800. It's a 12" and works great for me. I'm 5'9" and have adjusted the windscreen to a position that well above the lowest setting and the top of the windscreen is about mouth height on me. I took some adjusting to get the airflow to go over my head to avoid turbulence, but now that it is set, it works great. The MadStad itself can be adjusted for tilt and height, and the base mounting plate also adjusts height using the Goldwing's stock windshield adjustment mechanism. Check out MadStad engineering for more information.

Reactions: JLew

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I purchased a MadStad windshield for my 2004 GL1800. It's a 12" and works great for me. I'm 5'9" and have adjusted the windscreen to a position that well above the lowest setting and the top of the windscreen is about mouth height on me. I took some adjusting to get the airflow to go over my head to avoid turbulence, but now that it is set, it works great. The MadStad itself can be adjusted for tilt and height, and the base mounting plate also adjusts height using the Goldwing's stock windshield adjustment mechanism. Check out MadStad engineering for more information.
Hah! You beat me to it! Another vote for Madstad (although could also be the most expensive solution!).

Reactions: Maui
1 - 6 of 6 Posts