Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 GL1800, 2005 K1200LT, 2001 Ultra Classic (wife - 2001 800 Vulcan)
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was reading somewhere on one of these posts of someone who found an amazing glue that bonded to anything. So sticky was this glue that it glued shut the scissors that were used to cut the tube spout open. I can't find where I read that post.

The reason I ask is that I have a panel that the back plastic (probably abs) post broke off. I took and cleaned both the piece and the post off to get all grease, oil, dirt, etc. off, and then I took a soldering gun and meted the two pieces together. Then I took some other abs plastic and melted it to the joints all around and tried to install it. Well though it felt like it took really well, it broke off and it looks like the weld\melted plastic really didn't grab. Does anyone have a glue that actually works on this type of motorcycle plastic? I've tried a variety over the years without much success.

Thanks,
Wood

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
JB Weld makes a good epoxy for ABS but Super Glue should also work. I prefer 2 part epoxy so I use JB weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try it. I'm getting very frustrated as I've tried every option everyone has suggested without success. This piece has a custom paint job and I can't just replace it otherwise I'll probably pay $500.00 for this side engine cover to be repainted. AAArrrgg!

·
Registered
433 Posts
On my 1977 GL1000 with a Vetter Fairing, I found the fairing had a crack about 7 inches long. From the inside, I sanded the area just a little and then got a piece of fiberglass cloth and a bit of fiberglass resin and applied it to the area. Everything dried and became stronger than the original plastic. I also fixed a tab doing this and it worked. I'm also a believer in JB Weld. A friend had a clutch cover with a hole in it and we patched it with JB Weld.

Reactions: byekryam

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
By melting the abs first, you may have actually weakened the joint, making it brittle. You can try Plast-aid. Lot's of people have used it with great success. Clean and sand the area an clean again. Plast-aid will allow you to form the repair while its curing. After 24-48 hours you can file and sand it. Good luck.

·
Registered
482 Posts
By melting the abs first, you may have actually weakened the joint, making it brittle. You can try Plast-aid. Lot's of people have used it with great success. Clean and sand the area an clean again. Plast-aid will allow you to form the repair while its curing. After 24-48 hours you can file and sand it. Good luck.
Interesting info here: thank you

Ronnie
1/11/22

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with something called Plastex

Probably very similar to what you're talking about. Ordered. As soon as I get it I'll give an update

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
????

·
Registered
189 Posts
A friend tried glue on a 1500 side panel nub. Didn’t work either. Then nothing would stick. He ground it down flat, to get ride of the residual glue, and JB welded a shape replicating the original nub onto it. It worked, last time I asked about it. But I have no idea if it is still holding on or not. There was some kind of bonding agent being sold on the counter at the auto parts store, that looked thick and moldable, samples sitting there were wrapped around a bolt. And other than color, it was absolutely as hard as the bolt and well…’stuck like glue’ 😬. Can’t remember what it was called now. It’s out there, just have to find it. Goooooogle wherrrrre arrrrre yooooou.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I've seen similar displays. Not sure whether these are for stationary non-mobile uses vs. the vibration of a motorcycle. Not that there's a great deal of weight involved, but there's still that factor....

·
Super Moderator
12,409 Posts

Probably very similar to what you're talking about. Ordered. As soon as I get it I'll give an update
I used that on a side cover. My brother said drop it to test the adhesion. I dropped it, it landed right on the broken peg and it held! Worked well for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I have used Plastex myself and have used it for friends, on mine and there bikes... it's the best repair product ever

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Given the panels are ABS - wouldn't ABS plumbing adhesive work well? I thought I'd read here of people using it (I have not had the need), or even making their own by dissolving some ABS in acetone and using that?

·
Registered
98 GL1500se
9 Posts
By far the BEST thing to use is ABS cement. The black ABS cement from the hardware store. ABS cement actually chemically bonds the two pieces to make them one again. It does not just stick them together. If needed you can even make a slurry with a few ABS shavings. ALSO you can use a piece of ABS pipe, cut it, heat it to flatten and shape to ANY shape you want to make a backer/support.

Tin Tin can Aluminum can Liquid Paint

·
Super Moderator
12,409 Posts
The two above posts are correct. ABS glue works better on the Wings plastics. What I used the Plastex on was a side cover on my CM400, it wasn't ABS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have used Plastex myself and have used it for friends, on mine and there bikes... it's the best repair product ever
So far so good! Looks good, feels strong. I'm going to install it tomorrow and we'll see

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The two above posts are correct. ABS glue works better on the Wings plastics. What I used the Plastex on was a side cover on my CM400, it wasn't ABS.
I bought some and it took forever to get here and I already glued the pieces together with the Plastex. Next time I'll try the glue

1 - 18 of 18 Posts