Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Used the Honda trip planner for the first time tonight to plan a trip through the Great Lakes. Not the most user friendly application I have ever used I must say.

I will be leaving southern Oklahoma late May and be out on the road for 9 days. KOA tent camping the whole way except for the beginning and end where I will be staying with friends in Missouri and Indiana. It is going to be epic!

Any suggestions for must see spots along the route?
Anyone interested in riding along?
I will spend a full day at Niagara Falls for sure.

Least but not last, I have a CCW permit and intend to bring along my Springfield Armory 1911 model .45. How are the CCW laws along this route?

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Sounds like a great trip....Good Luck and be sure to keep us posted and take pictures.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
There is a website you can check to see about the CCW. I notice your trip will take you into Canada. You might want to check with folks like BUDOKA to see about transporting weapons over the boarder. Have a great trip and remember to take some pics for us..

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Looks like a great route. Are you doing this two up? 9 days will go really fast, .... once it starts you will be home like the next day. I spent 20 days going to Mission Texas from Seattle and it felt like a long weekend by the time it was all done. Just a blast being on the road.

I carried two pistols along with me for the ride. I had a cwp, but New Mexico does not recognize any other state's license, so I just stored them and the bullets in a different saddle bag. On one leg of that trip through New Mexico, I did load the .38.

I just read that website for the cwp. I like how easy that map was to use. I also learned that half the states I rode in did not honor my permit. Oh well, I didn't have any trouble with the law or any villains that needed to be shot.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
You come into Texas, no problemo. You can now have a loaded concealed weapon in your vehicle. On your person concealed, requires a concealed weapons permit.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
looks like you are running I-69 from flint to port huron, not much to see along the way. if i have the time and when you pass through maybe i can meet you in flint and ride over to port huron with you

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
The Great Lakes is on my bucket list too. Had hoped to run up that way next summer enroute to New England however our ride group has added Nova Scotia to the list which means we'll most likely run up through the Appalachia Valley. Another trip for the future though. Sounds like a great trip Doug.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great Lakes Great Trip Guns and Ammo

Used the Honda trip planner for the first time tonight to plan a trip through the Great Lakes. Not the most user friendly application I have ever used I must say.

I will be leaving southern Oklahoma late May and be out on the road for 9 days. KOA tent camping the whole way except for the beginning and end where I will be staying with friends in Missouri and Indiana. It is going to be epic!

Any suggestions for must see spots along the route?
Anyone interested in riding along?
I will spend a full day at Niagara Falls for sure.

Least but not last, I have a CCW permit and intend to bring along my Springfield Armory 1911 model .45. How are the CCW laws along this route?
You've planned a super trip!! I visited all the great lakes last year on my way back from Surgis, SD. If you cross over into Canada do not take a handgun!! You will need a passport!

At one time you could apply for a handgun permit ($50.00) at the border that would allow you to possess a handgun for a limited period; however, I don't believe that's possible not. Before I crossed the Canadian border I left my pistols with my brother in Michigan and picked them up on my return. The only question I remember the border guard asking me was "Do you have any guns with you." :) I told him no, not this time. Those guys don't have a sense of humor.:D Also, they scanned my Passport and did'nt even stamp it.:confused:

You can go on-line and get all the rules and regs concerning concealed weapon permits in the US (Canada too). The website address may be printed on your concealed weapon permit. The rules are interesting, some places you can carry a handgun but not a knife? Various rules pertaining to clubs, mace, pepper spray, etc. I have a pistol on my bike in case of breakdown or, if, I find myself in a not-so-nice city or area I carry it.

Good Luck on your trip. If all goes okay with my medical appointments I'll be Winging my way north in late April or early May. Looking forward to a nice ride...for two or three months :D

Ride Safe!! Oh! Don't know if you're going to be in the Detroit, MI area but Greenfield Village (Henry Ford Village) on the outskirts of Detroit is worth a visit. Museum, crafts village, old cars, park-like atmosphere...even a Railroad that will tour the entire village.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all the replies.
I have a full blown U.S. passport so no concern there.
The handgun however appears to be very problematic at best.
Illinois law is ridiculous when it comes to weapons. You can carry a handgun, but it can't be loaded, and the magazine and the handgund itself must be kept in separate compartments.
You can carry into Canada but it is even worse than in Illinois. Multiple copies of forms, openly declared at the border, weapon has to be locked in such a way as to render it unable to fire, and stored in a locked compartment without ready access, just to name a few.
Sounds like I need to just have my friend in ColdWater Michigan hang on to it for me, and pick it up on the return trip.

I will keep a detailed log with plenty of pictures.
Still have about 6 weeks to plan and prep for it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Niagara Falls

If you get the chance while in Niagara Falls take the Maid of the Mist boat tour at the base of the falls. Makes you appreciate the awesome power of nature.

The ride along Lake Erie is nice on a sunny summer or fall day. Hope you enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Maid of the Mist and Motion Sickness

If you get the chance while in Niagara Falls take the Maid of the Mist boat tour at the base of the falls. Makes you appreciate the awesome power of nature.

The ride along Lake Erie is nice on a sunny summer or fall day. Hope you enjoy the trip.
Thanks for the info Iron Lou; but I don't think the Maid of the Mist if for me! I've heard about the boat tours and think they're really neat; but I have a history of getting motion sickness on water (I laid a chum slick from California to Oahu, Hawaii, to The Big Island of Hawaii to Oahu to Vietnam). When the boat hits the water I hit the rail and all that was within comes hurling out, until only the green bile is left. :D However, I don't get motion sickness in the air. In Viet Nam I flew all over in a helicopter and never came close to tossing my cookies.

I will take the ride along Lake Erie though. If things go well, I'll be driving the Goldwing in that area in late June 2012.

Thanks again for the info.
T-Rex

·
Registered
246 Posts
Summer Time Riding

In August 2010, on my way back from Sturgis, SD, I rode, on the US side of the border, by all the Great Lakes. :) Last year, in May and June I entered Canada at Sarnia and crossed Canada and entered the US by Watertown, NY. On my way back to Michiagan, I rode to Buffalo, NY and crossed the bridge into Canada...I actually walked my motorcycle across the bridge and into Canada. Traffic was bumper to bumper and it was hotter than hell. My only regret is that I didn't get to spend any time touring in Canada, this year I plan on spending time with our Canadian Friends.:D

While riding in up-state NY I did visit Lake Placid (2010) and later I attended Americade (2011) at Lake George, NY. Of course I rode everywhere on my motorcycle. My starting point was Vero Beach, FL. I can't walk too well but I love to ride.:D

Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Doug, I have to caution you about considering bringing a handgun into Canada, there are no CCW permits allowed here period. You can only carry a handgun in a locked format fully disclosed and then only to and from a registered range or club. Long guns can be transported anywhere in the country except in our parks system once proper documentaion is filed. You'd be well advised to contact Canada Customs and Immigration as well as the RCMP for directives regarding your concealed carry plans. If they confiscate your gun at the border there's a good chance it would never be returned to you or they could also refuse you entry, neither of which is desireable. Not trying to discourage you, but hoping to avoid any problems for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks DSSDexter about the tip on the Passport Card. I'm going to pass this info to my niece, she plans on a trip to up-state NY and would like to cross over into Canada. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
You really should get the US Passport Card unless you now have a current passport to make getting back across US Border easier. You don't need the full blown US Passport. The US Passport Card you can get thru any Post Office. Get your picture taken for it a chain drug store,it's cheaper, take it to your local post office and fill out the one page app.. US PASSPORTCARD will be mailed to you in about 10 days. Trip along Niagara River is real nice as I recall. I know they do inquire about guns at Detroit/Windsor crossings.
Does this passport card work in and out of Mexico????

·
Registered
75 Posts
Doug...

coming through my hometown of Port Huron. very cool...

let me and Det Buzzard know when youre in the area and we can ride some with you (if im here. im the state rifle/pistol assn High Power Director and have lots of matches to attend to)...

on the handgun in canada, my experience is NOPE. not going to happen. if you need to store it, im available. i hold a CPL (required to be in possession of someone ELSES handgun in michigan), i TEACH CPL classes (NRA certified) and am as noted, a director with the Michigan Rifle Pistol Association. just saying...

get us some info! are you coming through PoHo on the way TO canada or the way HOME FROM canada?

looks like a great trip

·
Registered
75 Posts
Does this passport card work in and out of Mexico????

enhanced Drivers Licenses or pass-cards are ONLY GOOD for land crossing. if you drive to Mexico and drive home thats fine. if you FLY from Mexico to the States, it is no good and you WILL be detained at the airport. same if you try to use it in canada. bridge, ferry, or road is good. not allowed for flying...

you need a full passport for flying...

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Sounds like a great trip.

Thanks for the info Iron Lou; but I don't think the Maid of the Mist if for me! I've heard about the boat tours and think they're really neat; but I have a history of getting motion sickness on water (I laid a chum slick from California to Oahu, Hawaii, to The Big Island of Hawaii to Oahu to Vietnam). When the boat hits the water I hit the rail and all that was within comes hurling out, until only the green bile is left. :D
I'm not sure if they have stopped running the maid of the mist yet, but if it is still going, CHECK IT OUT!!. We did it a few years ago with the kids & I forgot how awesome the falls are from that perspective.

My advise to you is leave the heat in the good old USA and save a lot of hassle crossing over. I've traveled through Canada and the states on the bike and with the family in the car many a times and never felt concerned to carry.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My advise to you is leave the heat in the good old USA
i live minutes from the 2nd busiest crossing between USA and Canada. dont even bother with it at the bridge. i have members at my sportsman's club who LIVE in Canada and are Canadian citizens. THEY get hassled bringing their own pistols back and forth...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.