Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found some very good detailed history of each model year features. What I cannot find is a short summary of standard features by engine size.

Items like shaft drive, full cowling/windshield, seats made for two adults on the highway, cruise control, drivers backrest, fuel injection and rear air adjustable shocks.

Same for 1500 and 1800. Just the top 5 or so standard improvments for each major model. My major needs are air adjustable shocks, king/queen type seat and drivers backrest and either trunk or sidebags. Engine size is not a factor.

Dan

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just some tidbits: all GL's are shafties, all come dressed after 1984 ('84's and earlier could be purchased 'bare' and the Interstate came on the scene in 1980), fuel injection was limited to SE models pre 1800 (I think), air suspension on 1100's 1200's and 1500's-some with onboard compressors, others with manual valve fill. All had raised passenger seat area, but driver backrests were aftermarket add-ons. Electronic cruise on Aspencade models '84 and newer (aslo SE and some 1500 models '91(?) that were just called Goldwings-no SE or Aspy's that year. All GL's from '75 were intended pretty much for carrying two adult riders, although the seats on the '70s models were pretty much flat same as most of the bikes in that era.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Budoka, my 98 GL1500 SE was not FI. Still had carbs. I don't think any GL1500's were FI but I could be wrong. Some pre-1500's had FI, I think. All 1800's were FI.

Please, if I have this wrong, someone let me know. Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It's one of those memory things. My 1500 was carbed, but it wasn't an SE. I remember the 1200 SEi, and knew the 1800 models all are EFI. That's also why I put "I think" in brackets in the above post. I had even forgotten that there were 1500's produced that had no reverse, but I've never seen one.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Great info.
So is there any info as to when the next generation will arrive?
I am interested in the 1800s becoming the has been so I can afford one!!!!!!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My DSM's and factory reps are vague (how unlike them LOL) on that. The guys I spoke with from Honda Canada in June weren't even sure that 2012 would be the release, or what the upcoming changes would be. Heck, they're two years behind on some of the promised ATV improvements already. My best guess is Mother Honda is aiming for 2012 and the dual clutch technology transmission, and maybe a bump in displacement, but that's just trying to read between some very thin lines. They don't dare make a mistake with the Goldwing by doing too much too fast, there's too much at stake. If there is one critical flaw in Honda's philosophy, they don't take to heart some very valuable input from the ridership (put yourself in my spot, I'm a rider and a dealer so I get it from all directions), and some of the best ideas never get put into production. That being said, the GL has been a remarkable success since the onset, and they just keep getting better and better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts