Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice. I'm thinking of buying a new Goldwing, and I want to know if they have any "built-in problems or annoyances" with them. Any and all comments are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I have an '08, 15,000 + miles. No problems that were not self induced yet. Annoyances : All the neat aftermarket things I don't want to afford. So far that's my overall impression.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
They need to be washed, fueled and ridden regularly or they get grumpy. More seriously, some find the seat a bit lacking (I don't), and a bit of a lack of room to stretch your legs (Kuryakin has a moderately inexpensive fix for that), and some buyers can't decide what option level to buy (there was only really one for me: the whole sheeboo). There is a degenerative disease of the wallet that usually kicks in post purchase that I call "farkelitis". Highly contageous and really difficult to get over (no 12 step program for that puppy).
If there is such a thing as a bulletproof motorcycle, it's likely the Wing. They are the two wheel embodiment of the Energizer Bunny, they just keep going and going...
BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
402 Posts
'08 also with 8300 miles. Not a bubble of trouble so far. As Budoka and Chopin says, ride it to keep the fuel fresh and be prepared to ACCESSORIZE! :D

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
GMDoc, welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Where is "home" for you?

"Built-in problems or annoyances"??? Ask enough people and you will find "built-in problems or annoyances". No motorcycle is perfect.. They are not cages that wrap you in a bubble. They expose you to the elements, so you get wet, you get hot and you have to watch out for every other driver on the road. You get wind in your face and heat on your feet.

But of all the motorcycles, I think the Goldwing is the best one made. The engine is best in the business. With regular maint good for 200k miles. Handles great on the superslab and a ton of fun on the twisties. Gas mileage in the 40's on 87 octane.

So, do your homework and check out all the bikes out there and buy the one that "fits" you best. I think after you compare, you will enjoy your new Wing. Ride safe..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I'm from Rhode Island and I own a 2006 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic. This is my second Harley and they're not worth the money. I've always been a Honda man untill 2002 when I decided to try Harley's. Now I want to get a real bike and pitch the "shake, rattle, and roll".

·
Registered
793 Posts
Biggest drawbacks?? Well what the bike wants, the bike gets. It's got a real bad habit of wanting more lights and chrome (and a cup holder). Can't keep gas in it as your always riding it. And one of the biggest drawbacks - can't pass up an ice cream shop!! We should start up a top ten list.

·
Registered
449 Posts
'08 also with 8300 miles. Not a bubble of trouble so far. As Budoka and Chopin says, ride it to keep the fuel fresh and be prepared to ACCESSORIZE! :D
and ACCESSORIZE.....and ACCESSORIZE.....and, Well you get the picture.:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I love my 2010 base model. Only rode 1800 miles in the last 2 months. Can't complain about anything (now that I added highway pegs). It is the best bike I have ever owned. Not the fastest, but for its size this beast flies. And it's super smooth!
If it's nice here tomorrow (rained all day today), I plan on riding it at least 300 miles - no specific route. Just crank up the tunes, hit some back roads, maybe get lost and try to find my way home.
Rob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm in love with my 2010 ABS. Only had it for one week and have about 400 miles on it, and I totally in love with this bike. Get a backrest, hwy pegs and a CB and this is the perfect bike for anyone.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
I plan on riding it at least 300 miles - no specific route. Just crank up the tunes, hit some back roads, maybe get lost and try to find my way home.
Rob

The only way to ride!

:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
the only problem ive had with my 03 is, it just cant get enough lights on it. i keep putting them on, and she just keeps on saying MORE, MORE, HAHAHA just like woman!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
The GW is well loved. Of course, you need a bike that fits you and your riding style.

It is a heavy bike if one is not used to it. In hot weather, it almost seems to have too much shielding from the wind. We've been having 90+ and humid weather. I'm about to take the windshield off the old Nighthawk and get some breeze flowing, LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a touring person. I want my next bike to be comfortable and have enough power to get out of its own way. My bike (I have now) is very torquey, and moves along for a 770lb bike (1000lbs with me on it), but isn't very comfortable on rides over 300 miles. In a weekend, I can average 400-500 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
same boat as you

Thanks everyone. I'm from Rhode Island and I own a 2006 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Classic. This is my second Harley and they're not worth the money. I've always been a Honda man untill 2002 when I decided to try Harley's. Now I want to get a real bike and pitch the "shake, rattle, and roll".
Hey GM Doctor i was in the same boat had enough of the harley thing breaking down doin repairs i was doin to much riding sold my 2003 electra glide classic got my 2003 wing a few weeks ago bike is AMAZING when you get your wing you will not even look back i wish i did this years ago

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 16,000 miles on my bike and had no problems yet. I installed the bigger engine kit at 3000 miles and its been trouble free. I want something smoother and more comfortable to ride.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
I have 16,000 miles on my bike and had no problems yet. I installed the bigger engine kit at 3000 miles and its been trouble free. I want something smoother and more comfortable to ride.

The GoldWing is the way to go!

"Like riding your sofa down the road."

·
Registered
449 Posts
the only problem ive had with my 03 is, it just cant get enough lights on it. i keep putting them on, and she just keeps on saying MORE, MORE, HAHAHA just like woman!!!
We were in a parade of lights ride in Rogers awhile back and the wife said "we basically suck compared to the other bikes". We don't suck anymore.......she kept telling the guy..."more, more" We now have a "few" lights:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts