Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to visit my bike (1987 Gold Wing Interstate) at the cycle shop yesterday and found out I've got a rear shock problem. They're leaking oil. They are Progressive shocks that were installed by the PO in 1994. Is it worth while trying to have 16 year old shocks rebuilt or just better to replace them?

If replacing them is the best idea, what are your recommendations? I'm a big guy (400+) and was wondering if the Progressive 416 air shocks are the best replacement or if I'd be better off with Progressive 412 heavy duty spring shocks.

Also, any suggestions on where to buy for best service and price? Best price I've found on the 416s is at One Stop Moto. Anyone ever buy from them? Any place you know of cheaper?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Hoss... I've got progressive springs in the front forks and progressive shocks on the rear of my 1500, I love them,( my 2 cents)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you liked the ride with progressive shock and they lasted 16 years I would just buy a new set of that same kind.
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1100/384_goldwing_Suspension/des/

I can't really say if I liked the ride or not. Just bought the bike in mid December and hadn't even ridden it because of weather. In January, I made an appointment to take to the local shop for new tires and timing belts. When I went to start up the bike to take to the shop, noticed that the air gauge on the shocks read 0. Had been holding at 40 prior to that. Don't know if they lost air quickly or gradually. Mechanic pointed out the leaking oil.

I was going to get them at WingStuff. Even joined their VIP club a few days ago so I could save some money on goodies. Unfortunately, the only ones they carry for the 1200 are the 1626 model which is 1/4 inch shorter than stock. They don't carry and can't get the 1641 model which is the stock length. At my size, the last thing I need is a shock with less height. And even with my VIP discount, they're only about a buck cheaper than the site I linked above.:(

Hoss

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.