Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me introduce my self. Name is Glyn and I am in Houston, Tx. Glad I found this forum and I am looking forward to learning and sharing info and experiences with you.

That said, I just bought my first Goldwing. I found a left over 2008 Airbag model brand new for $19,799.
I have 500 miles on it so far in 3 days and I already see the need for immediate modifications to better suit me. I am 6' 1" and after a while my back and arms ache. After doing a little research I see the solution lies in adding shims or risers for the handle bars. Question is, which ones to go with? I see several brands but what ones would be the best overall quality and ease of installation?

I alsi seem to be "hugging" the fuel tank while driving. I think it is because of the stock short pegs. Same problem here, I see a ton of options for aftermarket pegs and floor boards. I need something that will relocate the shifter, brake and pegs out a little to keep my long legs from wanting to hug the tank all the time.
I also wear a size 13-14 boot/shoe and I have missed 5th gear 3 times already because my foot just barely gets under the shifter. Maybe there is a real problem there because it shouldn't be so easy to find that little spot between 4th and 5th where there is nothing, but it has happened 3 times already.

I am going to put a little list at the bottom of this post. I would like some opinions on what brands and models you would buy for your Wing based on a tall driver with big feet.
Thank you for any input you may have. I realize this post covers a broad range of things and this is my first post. But I really would like to see what the average rider would do if you were in my shoes. I also want it to look good and plan on adding lots of chrome soon.

Immediate Mods needed.
1. Replacement "Heated Grips" ( big hands )
2. Handle bar risers ( tall and too far from the bars )
3 Driver pegs or floorboards with extenders to widen the driver footing.
4. Extended controls, rear brake and shifter to widen the drivers footing.
5. Forward located highway boards or pegs

Thanks in advance for all your help. I just can't narrow it down from all the options out there and I hate buying over priced stuff only to find it's not what I need and have to buy it again.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, by the way.
I have already added the Utopia backrest and the Kuryakyn Passenger armrest. Just incase any of you suggest those.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Greetings from Spring, TX. I wish I had such problems. I am 5'7" if the wind is blowing straight up. One item I installed that helped me a bunch is the Kuryakyn ergo 2 Highway pegs. You may not even need to go such an expensive route. I needed something I coud mount forward on the engine guard, and still had to swing them forward. Highway pegs have made even shorter rides more comfortable. Ride SAFE!

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new Wing. I'll chime in with my opinions..
1. A product called "grip puppies". They are foam and go over the stock grips. $10.
2. You can check "wingstuff" or "directline" for risers. I don't have that problem at 5'9".
3. Kurykan makes floorboards with heel/toe shifter which gives you a nice footing.
4. I'm not aware of any one who makes "forward controls" for the Wing, but I may have missed them
5. I use Kryakan Iso Pegs II. Can be adjusted to many positions for comfort.

There are lots of options for the GL1800 so do some searching and I'm sure you will find what you need. There are a lot of "tall" riders who have Wings. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greetings from Spring, TX. I wish I had such problems. I am 5'7" if the wind is blowing straight up. One item I installed that helped me a bunch is the Kuryakyn ergo 2 Highway pegs. You may not even need to go such an expensive route. I needed something I coud mount forward on the engine guard, and still had to swing them forward. Highway pegs have made even shorter rides more comfortable. Ride SAFE!
Where in Spring? I am in Dove Meadows. I am looking for a local goldwing or motorcycle club also. The wife and I are interested in finding groups to tour with or weekend rides.
Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new Wing. I'll chime in with my opinions..
1. A product called "grip puppies". They are foam and go over the stock grips. $10.
2. You can check "wingstuff" or "directline" for risers. I don't have that problem at 5'9".
3. Kurykan makes floorboards with heel/toe shifter which gives you a nice footing.
4. I'm not aware of any one who makes "forward controls" for the Wing, but I may have missed them
5. I use Kryakan Iso Pegs II. Can be adjusted to many positions for comfort.

There are lots of options for the GL1800 so do some searching and I'm sure you will find what you need. There are a lot of "tall" riders who have Wings. Good luck and ride safe..
Thanks for the tips and the welcome!

·
Super Moderator
28,452 Posts
Buzzy, Greetings from Pa. I don't know how much help I'll be because I have a 1500, however as most of the guys will tell you on this site, this ole fossil always has an opinion. So here goes.

Immediate Mods needed.
1. Replacement "Heated Grips" ( big hands ) The guys all swear by grip puppies. They go over existing grips I believe.
2. Handle bar risers ( tall and too far from the bars ). I would think they would help.
3 Driver pegs or floorboards with extenders to widen the driver footing. I would think you may want to check out different brands I know Rivco, Kury, Show Chrome & I believe even Cobra make them. Not sure about extenders though.
4. Extended controls, rear brake and shifter to widen the drivers footing. Same as above?
5. Forward located highway boards or pegs. I have 2 tall friends that have these & love them 1-is 6'5" the other is 6'7"
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/.../gl1800/232_goldwing_Footpeg_Floorboards/des/

Hope this helps & welcome to the site.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Buzzy. We are in the Gleannloch Farms subdivision. We don't know anybody in the area to ride with. My schedule is all over the place, and I have been working most weekends. No complaints however, it is good to be busy. I do have one suggestion. There is a Kroger store at the corner of Champion Forest drive and Spring Cypress road. Most Saturday nights in the summer there is a vintage car gathering in the parking lot. It is pretty big, over 100 very cool cars I would guess. Last year there were about ten or 12 Goldwings just hanging out. I did not own a Wing then, so I did not go over and chat, I just looked and drooled! Let me know if you go over and check it out.:)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Buzzy. We are in the Gleannloch Farms subdivision. We don't know anybody in the area to ride with. My schedule is all over the place, and I have been working most weekends. No complaints however, it is good to be busy. I do have one suggestion. There is a Kroger store at the corner of Champion Forest drive and Spring Cypress road. Most Saturday nights in the summer there is a vintage car gathering in the parking lot. It is pretty big, over 100 very cool cars I would guess. Last year there were about ten or 12 Goldwings just hanging out. I did not own a Wing then, so I did not go over and chat, I just looked and drooled! Let me know if you go over and check it out.:)
I am in Dove Meadows off of FM 2920. I know the car show you are talking about, we have rolled thru there a couple of times and it only a couple of miles from me.
The wife and I are talking about maybe making a trip out to Big Bend for memorial weekend.

We will swing bt the car show tonight and see whats kick'in. I'll report back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts