Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the navigator is convinced to spend a week on the pillion at some point this summer. Leaving from Southern Manitoba I was considering Deadwood South Dakota and the surrounding area with different routes to and from but the 40% premium on exchange is making reconsider. I'd like to keep to between 6 and 8 hours saddled up in a day at the most as this will be our first multi day trip. I'm open to suggestions both east and west. We enjoy the scenery and finding those little "local" places to eat. Oh, and straight roads are boring. I do have Garmin BaseCamp so it is possible to chart tracks and trips between "must see" places too. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Most likely travelling in August.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lake SuperiorCircle Tour 7 days may not be enough for you, but we have done it twice with the Bug club and loved Superior Provincial Park

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Hi, we Aussies did some of this area in 2012 -
we rode from Buffalo Wyoming to Gillette to Moorcroft to the Devils Tower - a must see place - we then rode Hwy 24 to Belle-Fourche, South Dakota, then Hwy 85 down to Spearfish where we overnighted. Hwy 24 into Belle-Fourche was very beautiful - I would have liked to spend a bit more time there.
The following day we Hwy 14 S to Lead, a beautiful canyon, you want to ride slowly so you can pause a various waterfalls and vistas to enjoy what you are seeing. we rode hwy 16/385 S to Crazy Horse Monument. Then back up 16/385 N to Hwy 244 E, around to Mt Rushmore. It was about 1pm by then and wanted some lunch - we were a bit disappointed at the options and the cost of a basic salad roll there at Mt Rushmore - get your photos and move on.
We did not have nearly enough time in these Black Hills - there are other motorcycle or just scenic rides to do - I have a pdf file I downloaded a while ago for the Custer State Park which has a colorcoded map for the Iron Mountain Road (17m) , The Needles Highway (14m) and the Wild-life Loop road (18m) which you could do in the one day, with careful planning. This is on our to do list. if you go to www.custerstatepark.com maybe this ride map is available there. Cannot remember where I downloaded it from. We have used the AAA Atlas to help us plan our trips and there are plenty of designated scenic roads in the area. I think it was possible to spend 4-5 days in the area having a look around, enjoying the riding and the company of your partner. The Badlands are not too far away. There are a few caves in the area as well which we have been told are worth the time to stop at. Wherever you go, enjoy, we found it yet another beautiful part of the USA. The Canadian exchange rate is similar to the Aussie v the US$ - in our heads we have a rough budget for A$300 per day and we hope that works out for our planned trip in 2017. The past few trips with our dollars at parity it was not much of an consideration. Darn Aussie economy being in the doldrems :serious: :smile2: V and Eric

·
Premium Member
8,512 Posts
Why not just plan to join a bunch of us at the Meet & Greet planned for late June in southeastern BC? You and I are in similar positions, being that mountain riding is 1,000 miles away in any direction.:crying:

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
Insane_Crew, I'm not following something........Maybe just me though.

Are you coming stateside or are you staying in Canada?

If you're coming state side you can't have picked a finer area to have a trip. There is much to do in the general area of the Black Hills of South Dakota including awesome roads.

If you are staying in Canada then I would say either direction you head will yield major beauty. My wife and I were in great country last year from British Columbia to Ontario while we were coming back from the Cody M&G. The beauty of the Canadian Rockies area is awe inspiring with excellent roads, the vast spreading contrasting wilds of the lake areas of Ontario are equally special. I will say if you head to the east as H20loo suggested and use the Great Lakes navigational, you could slip over the border and catch some really great sites of the U.P. of Michigan. The area is very cost effective and beautiful, also you can head back over the border fairly easy on an overnighter so as to get the most out of your dollar.

The Pictured Rocks area of the U.P. is very scenic, plus there are other areas as well. The Soo Locks is an interesting stop if you are into the engineering of the operation. Always cool to go over the Mackinac Bridge too.

http://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm

http://www.saultstemarie.com/attractions/soo-locks/

http://www.mackinacbridge.org/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The UP of mi , the bruce peninsula and muskokas of ontario are all fodder for a bucket list. They do share similiar geography.
The canal systems are awesome even if its the trent or welland.
I never get tired of this. So many people i work with have never experienced these but they can tell me about Bars in Mexico
If you do visit the UP and its hot weather- i would hit the beaches at the top of lake. Michigan
Doug

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insane_Crew, I'm not following something........Maybe just me though.

Are you coming stateside or are you staying in Canada?

If you're coming state side you can't have picked a finer area to have a trip. There is much to do in the general area of the Black Hills of South Dakota including awesome roads.

If you are staying in Canada then I would say either direction you head will yield major beauty. My wife and I were in great country last year from British Columbia to Ontario while we were coming back from the Cody M&G. The beauty of the Canadian Rockies area is awe inspiring with excellent roads, the vast spreading contrasting wilds of the lake areas of Ontario are equally special. I will say if you head to the east as H20loo suggested and use the Great Lakes navigational, you could slip over the border and catch some really great sites of the U.P. of Michigan. The area is very cost effective and beautiful, also you can head back over the border fairly easy on an overnighter so as to get the most out of your dollar.

The Pictured Rocks area of the U.P. is very scenic, plus there are other areas as well. The Soo Locks is an interesting stop if you are into the engineering of the operation. Always cool to go over the Mackinac Bridge too.

http://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm

http://www.saultstemarie.com/attractions/soo-locks/

http://www.mackinacbridge.org/

Hope this helps.
Hi Fossil, I re read my original post and apologize for it being pretty vague. I had hoped to come stateside but with our dollar doing so poorly I'm reconsidering and looking for options our side of the border. Big concern for me is my navigator and her comfort. Being in the geographical center of the country (no offense to any of my countrymen from Toronto) its a fairly solid two day ride to the Rockies.

Why not just plan to join a bunch of us at the Meet & Greet planned for late June in southeastern BC? You and I are in similar positions, being that mountain riding is 1,000 miles away in any direction.:crying:
I have it on my radar but as stated above Nakusp is probably 2.5 or 3 days for us (don't want the navigator to have saddle sores) and with my holiday schedule I'm only going to be able to squeeze a week plus the weekends at either end. I'm looking at all options. We were in Spokane for a divisional race last August and I'd sure love to cover the country between here and there by bike just not enough time to do it justice and retirement is 20 years away yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, we Aussies did some of this area in 2012 -
we rode from Buffalo Wyoming to Gillette to Moorcroft to the Devils Tower - a must see place - we then rode Hwy 24 to Belle-Fourche, South Dakota, then Hwy 85 down to Spearfish where we overnighted. Hwy 24 into Belle-Fourche was very beautiful - I would have liked to spend a bit more time there.
The following day we Hwy 14 S to Lead, a beautiful canyon, you want to ride slowly so you can pause a various waterfalls and vistas to enjoy what you are seeing. we rode hwy 16/385 S to Crazy Horse Monument. Then back up 16/385 N to Hwy 244 E, around to Mt Rushmore. It was about 1pm by then and wanted some lunch - we were a bit disappointed at the options and the cost of a basic salad roll there at Mt Rushmore - get your photos and move on.
We did not have nearly enough time in these Black Hills - there are other motorcycle or just scenic rides to do - I have a pdf file I downloaded a while ago for the Custer State Park which has a colorcoded map for the Iron Mountain Road (17m) , The Needles Highway (14m) and the Wild-life Loop road (18m) which you could do in the one day, with careful planning. This is on our to do list. if you go to www.custerstatepark.com maybe this ride map is available there. Cannot remember where I downloaded it from. We have used the AAA Atlas to help us plan our trips and there are plenty of designated scenic roads in the area. I think it was possible to spend 4-5 days in the area having a look around, enjoying the riding and the company of your partner. The Badlands are not too far away. There are a few caves in the area as well which we have been told are worth the time to stop at. Wherever you go, enjoy, we found it yet another beautiful part of the USA. The Canadian exchange rate is similar to the Aussie v the US$ - in our heads we have a rough budget for A$300 per day and we hope that works out for our planned trip in 2017. The past few trips with our dollars at parity it was not much of an consideration. Darn Aussie economy being in the doldrems :serious: :smile2: V and Eric
Sounds like the trip I had roughly planned. We'll see what the dollar does in the next while. I can survive at 25% exchange but this 40% is rediculous.

·
Super Moderator
28,254 Posts
I hear what you're saying on the little lady. The Lake run/UP would most likely be the same 2 solid days as well.

I'm sure you will figure it out. Another nice area, is the Teddy Roosevelt National Park area in North Dakota.

http://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm

Reactions: Insane_Crew

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Sounds like the trip I had roughly planned. We'll see what the dollar does in the next while. I can survive at 25% exchange but this 40% is rediculous.
The Canadian dollar was at 72.63 cents on the U.S. dollar today. Maybe it will continue to trend in your favor prior to this summer.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The Maritimes are nice. My wife is from PEI

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear what you're saying on the little lady. The Lake run/UP would most likely be the same 2 solid days as well.

I'm sure you will figure it out. Another nice area, is the Teddy Roosevelt National Park area in North Dakota.

http://www.nps.gov/thro/index.htm
That was in the plan for one of the legs to or from Deadwood. Looks fantastic.

The Canadian dollar was at 72.63 cents on the U.S. dollar today. Maybe it will continue to trend in your favor prior to this summer.
Fingers crossed. The overnight rate needs to be about 78 cents to make my buy rate 1.25.

The Maritimes are nice. My wife is from PEI
The Maritimes certainly are beautiful. We hope to put a three week run east together in a few years. For us now it would be a week just to get there.

Thanks for all the suggestions being a relative newbie to touring I'm filing them all in the "to be ridden" file.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts