Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sue andI left Monday morning for our first IBA Ride together. The Solar Eclipse SS1000 Gold. We left eh gas station at 3:15am, and headed South on I35, towards Des Moines IA. Weather was perfect, but we knew we were riding into some bad rain. Stopped for our first gas stop in Ankeny IA. This is where the rain started, and it came in buckets! From Ankeny, we rode west to Gretna NE, where we made our second fuel stop. The rain had stopped by now, and the sun was out. From Gretna, we were heading to Grand Island, where we would get our turn around receipt, and also watch the eclipse. It was now 11:15, and we had been on the rode for 8 hours, riding 466 miles. So far so good! We left Grand Island at 1:15, and rode back towards Omaha. I forgot to mention that the traffic from Omaha to Grand Island was insane, both before, and after the eclipse. At Omaha, we turned North to head for Sioux Falls SD. This is where the rain started again, and this time it was worse than before. The rain lasted until just before we got to Sioux Falls, where the sun came out, and we got to witness a beautiful sunset. At Sioux Falls, we jumped on I90, and headed for home. Plan was, we were going to ride the 200 miles to Austin, and then ride an extra 16 miles past home, and get gas, before turning back and heading home. I wanted to make sure we had a cushion for enough miles. We stopped for gas at Jackson Mn, just outside of Sioux Falls. Sue was starting to not feel well, and had the chills, so she bundled up and we headed out again. We were going to make it in plenty of time. After our gas stop in Jackson, something didn't feel right with the bike. It felt like it was kind of floating on all over the road, but didnt feel like a flat. I slowed down, and kept plugging along. About 15 miles later, all of a sudden, I could tell something was wrong, and I could smell burning rubber, but it still didn't feel like a flat. I got us pulled over to the shoulder, and I started thinking it was a flat on the trailer. Checked both trailer tires, and they were fine, it indeed was a flat rear tire. So here we sat on the side of the rode, at midnight, with 50 miles left to go for our SS1000. :frown2: Long story short we called insurance, and they found someone to haul us back 5 miles to the nearest town, where we got a hotel room. By this time it was almost 2:00am, and we were soaked to the bone, with no change of clothes. The next morning we called insurance company again, and they found someone to haul us home. I had a tire repair kit on the bike, but we couldn't find a hole. But when I got home, and aired it up, I found a small hole. I plugged it, and it has held air since then. If I would have had the guy take us to a gas station the night before, so I could air it up, I could have fixed it right then, and we would have been able to finish the ride. Live and learn I guess. So that was Sue's first attempt at a Iron Butt Ride. I told her that even tho we didn't really finish, she earned it that day. 950 miles in all that rain, heat, and stop and go traffic... It was my hardest ride yet. Sorry this got so long!! :grin2:

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/b...F-438C-B29E-883A4063E5CF_zpseuj2uvrc.jpg.html

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Too bad it didn't work out for you two, but at least you tried.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Wow that was a truly valiant effort. I am impressed.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Sue just figure that this ride was your training session, and best of luck on the next one.

Reactions: MnShadowgal

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Sorry to here you didn't make it due to a mechanical issue. But after that ride you shouldn't have any concerns about your ability to do a SS1000 together.
Just a shame you missed out in that special one.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Tire issues on the road are painful. Glad that's all it was although it ruined a valiant effort. A post is never too long to tell the story.

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Personally, I've ridden many Iron Butts, none certified, but have ridden 1000 miles in less than 24 hrs. more times than I like to admit. I think the official IBA should change their rules to say hours in the saddle instead of miles ridden. Sue, as far as I'm concerned, you should be congratulated for your successful Iron Butt Ride. Hell my butt still hurts from my IB a few weeks ago. Carol hit the nail on the head the other day when she said, "the only reason you ride iron butts is because you are too stubborn to stop and find a motel room". That's true as I don't enjoy sleeping in a bed that I don't know who "slept" there last. Congrats, Sue.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Congrats Sue. You have a lot of us beat.
Now if I could get the bike to go fast enough so Ingrid would be able to sleep until 10Am., and be done say around 5. I could do it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Good on Sue for sticking it out! That's a helluva long day!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
As long as you two are safe, it was successful.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks everyone~ It was an adventure thats for sure! I wish I had gotten the special certificate, with the eclipse and all......but I have a lot of wonderful memories I made with Darren. I will attempt another, now that I know I can do it! I am grateful it didn't end worse than it did......if that tire had decided to blow, instead of just going flat......and a big thank you to Darren for getting us pulled over safely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts