Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking Tatanka on our first road trip together, to Sturgis, SD, about 800 miles from where I live (just east of the Twin Cities, MN.) Meeting up there with my brother-in-law who is riding out from Everett, WA (Seattle area) with his brother. Anybody heading west that way on Aug. 5-6?

I'm excited about airing out Mr. T and myself for a few days, and I'm also a bit nervous about the trip, as I'll be riding alone out and back and he IS a 27 year old Wing. I've done all I can to make sure he's in good shape, but stuff does happen. I've wanted to ride a bike in the Black Hills area for over 30 years and finally have my chance, so I'm goin' for it!

I still don't know if I'll make the Western Meet & Greet. Depends on how Tatanka performs and how I'm holding up, including my wallet.
Kevin

·
Registered
674 Posts
That is going to be a nice ride. I wish I could go can you take some pictures for us?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Sturgis is a blast, especially if you've never been there. Lots to see and do all around the area, but traffic will be heavy no matter where you go; Rushmore was a zoo when we visited, took us about 2 hours to get from Sturgis to the parking lot due to the hoards of bikes and vehicles.
I think it would be a pretty easy two days from Sturgis to Kalispell (or one long one);) em, not that we're going to have any fun or anything LOL:)

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I was through Sturgis back in 89 with a cage. Except for when the bikes are there the place is pretty much deserted. Have a good trip and send some pics our way, since I will never go there when the bikes are there...LOL

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
That is a beautiful area and I know you'll have a good time. Wish I could meet up with you as that area is on my list.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Some day i to plan to make the ride to Sturgis, but i think i'm still a few years away, and that is a 2,600 mile round trip ride for me.so i may need to wait till i upgrade to a newer machine. then i will need to put a season on the new one to find any issues. I guess i'm kinda funny that way, i like to no my machine, as most rides me and the wife are alone. i don't think AAA will tow that far.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Allienfuel, takes what GWRRA's road rescue is for, not to mention the Gold Book.
Yes that sounds like a bucket list ride for me right now.
Tatanka, are you going to have to remove the mufflers to go into Sturgis which is so closely linked with H-D??

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, it is a Bucket List item. The only one left on a motorcycle will be Vancouver, BC to San Diego, CA on the Pacific Coast Highway.

I've been off the net more than on the past few days, router problems. Actually, the route I'm taking is only about 650 miles, so I'll do it in one day easily, and only averaging 65 mph which is very easy once I hit I-90 in MN, let alone SD. Could be as short as a 12 hour ride with fuel/potty/food/moisture stops. Once I hit SD, it's 80 mph no problem. Tatanka seems to like 80 mph!:D

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Yippity Dippity Kev! 80 seems to be a sweet spot on just about every Wing I've ridden. Unfortunately the Leo's up here sorta frown on that:(. The QE2 south from Edmonton you can usually run 75-80 with no law issues (it has a 110 kph/70mph limit), but the quality of the cage drivers is em, 'suspect' shall we say. Need your "A" game 100% of the way.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Don't worry about Mr.T, he doés't know that he 27 years old and don't tell him. Mr.T has a lot to live up to from what his owner has said. I will keep a spot for him at Kalispell. Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wishing you a great ride, Sturgis can be a lot of fun, the Black Hills have some great roads. it can get a little congested but there always seems to be room for everyone. I am not sure if I am going to make the ride this year or not, I probably won't decide until late in the week. I really enjoy the hills, but sometimes I enjoy them more before or after the rally. Good Luck & have Fun!! should be a nice ride. D

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Eric,

Tatanka has sent me a message after decent amount of riding earlier this week in prep for Sturgis (wanted problems to show up BEFORE I'm on the road.) 1-2 drips of green fluid, coolant, on the garage floor!:( It's OK, he's just saying, "I'm up for this, but take it easy on me, OK?" :cool:

DocB,

We'll be at the Lamphere Ranch campgrounds, so if you make it please stop by. Look for the bike in the avatar/album with a Minnesota plate on it, parked next to 2 Valkeries from Washington State.

Western Meet & Greeters,

I'm still hoping. I have to take it one leg at a time. I'm 57 not 27, so long-riding (around the block to IBALEE and EFINREF!:D) and tent camping will have to be experienced again, Tatanka's performance monitored, and events at home/business also monitored before I make any decision on heading west. By the way, where is this Wild Hoon headed after Kalispell? How are you heading east from Kalispell to rendezvous with the KeyStoners, et. al.? Hopefully due east and over the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (the route I'd take-prettier and cooler) and passing within meeting range of the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.) And, like I said, I'm still hoping.

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
TRIP REPORT

Just got home at 8pm CDT. Should have trusted my gut as described in the first post of this thread, about the sense of uneasiness about the trip. It lived up to it. Sturgis IS an experience, but one I don't intend to repeat, not because of what happened, but because I'm not a huge crowd guy. I know the rules here (about time, huh?), and have photo proof that Tatanka WAS in Sturgis, per photos below, from left to right:

1. My brother-in-law and his younger brother arrive at Lamphere's campground Monday morning(I arrived Sunday evening.) They're both riding '99 Valkeries.
2. Lazelle Street in Sturgis with a few bikes visiting.
3. Tatanka parked on 2nd Avenue in foreground.
4. Please read on.

As far as what happened along the way:
1. Stopped in Kanistota, eastern South Dakota to make a "lower unit adjustment" and walk around a bit, stretch, etc. Got back on T, turned the key, nothing. Pulled the left side cover and sure enough, main fuse fried. OK, I had a spare and tools with me, so replaced it, and off I went to spend the night camping in Mitchell.

2. The whole trip was made very tough by ferocious winds, both ways, even in Minnesota on the return trip. Variable, persistent and forceful. But, about 30 miles east of Rapid City on the way OUT I got hit by a rogue blast of at least 50mph and my windshield/screen was apparently so flexed by it that it fractured. I mean I have at least 100 spider cracks (not all the way through) in it that you can only feel from the INSIDE. I'll show it in a new thread. Showed and asked every experienced motorcyclist I could, about 30 of them, and not one of us had ever seen this before. Bought a roll of clear packaging tape to laminate it in and out in various places as I didn't want a faceful of windshield splinters and despite being blasted plenty after that, no new cracks over the next 750 miles.

3. At Wall, SD I fueled and headed on to Sturgis. The bike died at 75mph (strangely with oil pressure light coming on) a couple of times, which with the wind situation was unnerving. After the next fill-up he ran fine, so I figured bad tank of gas in Wall.

4. The stuff hit the fan after a ride into Sturgis for some stuff Tuesday, Aug. 8 about 1:30pm. I stop at the Lamphere Ranch campground store for whatever, hop on Tatanka, turn the key and nothing. OK, main fuse, and I have another spare, AND I need to figure out why this is happening, an obvous short. Pull the left cover off just in time to watch the starter solenoid terminal block turn into Bakelite (if you're old enough to remember that stuff). It was literally fried, and I got to watch it happen. Pulled out tools, removed the ground and then positive battery cables, felt the solenoid body and burned my finger on it. What ran through my mind was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess: "This is not good. This is not right." (the rest is: "My feet stick out of bed all night.") I'm hurtin' and know it.

Jamie, my brother-in-law, says there is a Honda dealer on the south end of Sturgis, near I-90. OK, so worst case is a new $85 one at Honda and maybe another day in Sturgis if it has to be overnighted. Well, there IS NO Honda dealer in Sturgis; WONDER WHY?:rolleyes: The Rapid City Honda dealer does not take phone calls nor do they return phone messages during Rally Week. If you ain't there in front of them, it's not gonna happen. OK, this is getting worse. Now I'm looking at more time and money. There had to be a workable solution.

Long story short, photo 4 is of the solution, a 12-volt lawn tractor solenoid purchased at O'Reilly's Auto Parts in Sturgis, hooked up AND properly fused and grounded. All in, about $25. It ain't pretty and the left-side cover doesn't fully clip in back, but it got me home.

5. One last thing: You have to be pretty secure in your masculinity to ride b:eek:tch the full length of Lazelle Street of Sturgis TWICE on a JAPANESE motorcycle. I did it, and can't say that I'm real proud of it. Much easier being in the IDMWT club.:eek::eek::D

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Kevin I sure hope you get that frankin job back to stock,sure dont look pretty But hope you had a good time. Hal

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
I'm sorry your electrical issues happened out on the road. At least you were able to make part of your intended trip.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I’m sorry to hear you had bike problems. You deserve a MacGyver award for getting her home. I hope you have everything sorted out by now and are back on the road.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pictures what pictures? I guess I cannot view them on this phone app.
Or perhaps it never happened. Lol
Just kidding, I am glad you made it there and back. Remember with the brake downs, it just makes it that much more memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hey, Pal, just because your phone app doesn't support photos from GWOF don't mean I didn't post them!:D

In the interest of full disclosure, it was the lead mechanic at JP's auto parts/service in Sturgis who confirmed doing what we were thinking of doing. Once it had his OK we had the confidence to do it.

Memorable? Old Son, you have a gift for understatement!:eek::D I reckon that a hemorrhoidectomy is memorable too, but that doesn't mean I want to experience it!:p And, as most of you regulars have figured out by now, it's not in my future as I'm already a perfect A-hole!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts