Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The next morning (Saturday Aug, 4) we all met for breakfast then rode to Devils Tower thru Hulett WY. While at Devils Tower we walked the trail that goes all the way around the base of the tower. Should have taken my hiking shoes as my riding boots were not the best for the long up and down hill trail. There were many people climbing the tower, not for me a step ladder is too high. On the plains around the tower are many prairie dog towns, Cindy got a real kick out of them. It was a very good day and a very nice ride.

Attachments

Reactions: Chrisek

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
While hiking the trail around Devils Tower saw many Native American Pray Bundles and Prayer Cloths. The trip was very educational and learned more than previous trip this time as we spent more time there with Cindy along for the first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Nice pics and report Jim. Glad you are having a good time.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The next day (Sunday Aug. 5) our little group got back together and rode to Hill City for breakfast and then the loop down around Mt. Rushmore. On the way back to Spearfish we stopped at a large dam that creates the Pactola Reservoir

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
On Monday the 6th, after coffee at the Up The Creek Café, a little café ran out of a couples garage at the entrance to the campgrounds (open 12 days a year for rally) Leroy and Norma went to Rapid City to demo ride a Slingshot. My brother, Cindy and I decided to run into Sturgis to the hill climbs for something different to do.
On the way in we stopped at the Boss Hoss display to discover they were actually doing demo rides. So Dave and I got to ride a pair of these beast. 383 ci. small block chevy making 450 hp with 2 speed transmission, will run 115mph in 1st. The power of these thing never end, but not really a touring bike as the engine heat is relentless.
Hill climbs were cool and an almost impossible hill, only 2 bikes went over the top. There was even a 4 year old girl in the 50cc class, training wheels and all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Latter in the day Monday, Dave and I decided to go to the amateur short track races, Cindy said she had enough of sitting in the dirt and opted to stay at campground for the evening. The short track races had a relatively small turn out, too bad.
The amateur racers put on a really good show and the track prep held up all night. The 4 year girl was also there competing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tuesday the 7th, we once again ha breakfast with Leroy and Norma then then our little group of three bikes went to just east of Sturgis to ride Vannocker Canyon. We rode down the canyon to the Nemo Campgrounds to check out the general store there, then thru Deadwood and back to downtown Sturgis to wander and check out the venders there. Never buy from food vender with no price list, they got me dumb move on my part. Ordered 2 corndogs and an ice tea, after giving us our stuff informed me it came to $22.50 (ouch) they were good corndogs but not that good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
On Wednesday Aug 8 after riding into Deadwood to find a shirt my brother had seen on earlier trip he wanted to go back into Sturgis but Cindy said she had had enough of that. So we parted for the day and her and I went back down thru Hill City to the Crazy Horse Monument. Traffic on the way down was terrible so went further west into Wyoming on 16 to Newcastle and back up 85 to Cheyenne Crossing then back thru Spearfish Canyon back to campground. It was beautiful country and a wonderful ride, good day all around.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Thursday morning we took tent down to head for home. Had decided earlier in week to stay longer at Spearfish and not ride into Montana this trip, having too good of time riding in the Black Hills. Rode 584 miles to Austin MN. KOA to spend night. Next day rode to Brodhead, WI and spent Friday afternoon and evening with cousins who live there, camped in their yard. Up on Saturday morning and back home for total of 3635 miles for trip.

:popcorn:OK done boring you with our trip. One more thing, made whole trip without even once having to put on rain gear. That's a new record for us. Got rain a couple nights after back at camp, that's it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Not boring at all. Glad you had a good time and thanks for the pictures and narrative. Now you can rest and recoup. Thanks again....:grin2: Isaac

Reactions: 823Jim

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Not boring at all. Glad you had a good time and thanks for the pictures and narrative. Now you can rest and recoup. Thanks again....:grin2: Isaac
Thanks, I have been working real hard at holding down my lazyboy since getting home.:sleep:

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
The Crazy Horse monument is farther along than 2001, but still cranes and stuff. I doubt I'll live to see completion, but I will visit once more and bring herself to get a taste of the festivities of the region. Prolly skip the Buffalo Chip though LOL
Great job Jim!

Reactions: 823Jim
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.