Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be leaving for Sturgis tomorrow morning, kickstands up scheduled for 4am. This year my wife Cindy will be going for her first time there. My brother and I have gone the last two years, he will be going with us again this year. Both my brother and I will be towing trailers and camping the entire trip.:kumbaya: We are going to ride the Badlands and make our annual stop at Walls Drugs on way there. Will arrive at Sturgis either late Wednesday or early Thursday depending on weather/ride times, etc., rode 930 miles 1st day last year. Going to stay in Sturgis area and ride the Black Hills for 5 or 6 days, some of the best riding roads anywhere, IMO. After leaving there the plan is to ride up thru Montana to Glacier National Park, maybe on the way ride Bear Tooth Pass again. From Glacier NP we will ride US-2 across ND, Minn. and WI. to the U.P. of Michigan then back home. Hoping for a good ride and a great vacation. I am hoping Cindy enjoys the trip as much as I have in the past...:ride:

·
Super Moderator
10,006 Posts
Have a safe and enjoyable trip Jim. The roads through the Black Hills are amazing. So much to see here in the good old USA. Make sure you take lots of pics for us to enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Have a great trip and please let us know how it goes and roads to hit!

Also, why the drug store in Walls?

Sent with aloha

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Have a safe trip and stay hydrated. Remember, your wife may not want to stay in the saddle for extended periods.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, why the drug store in Walls
Walls Drug Store is almost a mandatory stop when ever traveling across South Dakota. You start seeing their hand painted bill boards 100 to 150 miles before you get there. It sits right at the top of the Bad Lands and is one of the largest tourist traps in the west, a must due on the way to Sturgis.

http://www.walldrug.com/

Reactions: Chrisek

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
Yeah, Charlie's right...so much to see here in the good old USA. So why do I keep going back to the Black Hills and Cody areas? Even when we don't have a M&G.

But, an annual stop at Wall Drug? You've got more patience than me. After the Badlands, skip Wall and just get me to the Black Hills.

Have a great trip, Jim. I know you'll give us lots of photos.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
You should make sure any and all expenses related to the stop are out of her pocket.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Yeah Chris...Wall Drug is a Montana version of South Of The Border in the Carolina's. The only thing I ever bought was the Wall Drug Donuts which were very good. I'm with Randy been there done that....Of course in Jim's case he has to get his little lady there once.

Anyway Jim, enjoy your trip and be sure to be aware of her needs....You're not use to her being back there so that 930 mile day may not be the best idea. ;)

Picking up a few more states on this trip by doing ND, and Minnesota so enjoy. It's out of your way but there is a great little Mexican restaurant in Noonan off Rt5. Stopped there coming back from Cody a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Have a good trip Jim.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I'm suffering from ride withdrawal this year so I'll be living vicariously with you on this. I should take my missus to Sturgis one of these times I reckon....

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Have a great trip. Sturgis and all the beautiful roads around there are on my bucket list of roads and places to ride to.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
If you can avoid the traffic there are some really scenic areas to ride through. I really enjoyed going to Devil's Tower last year. Well, except for the construction...that darn red soil makes a real mess of your bike.:frown2:

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Walls Drug Store is almost a mandatory stop when ever traveling across South Dakota. You start seeing their hand painted bill boards 100 to 150 miles before you get there. It sits right at the top of the Bad Lands and is one of the largest tourist traps in the west, a must due on the way to Sturgis.

http://www.walldrug.com/

Absolutely. Just do it and take the pic. It’s a tradition for all travelers in the area!

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
We left for Sturgis at 4:00am Tuesday July 31 after 15 hours and 15 min with 909 miles on odometer we made it to Mitchell SD. That works out to an average speed of just over 59 mph with 7 fuel stops. and gas station roller dogs for meals. My wife hung right in there with me and was up at 6:00 am the next morning and ready to head into the Badlands our stop at Wall Drug and on to Spearfish SD to set up camp that evening.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the road shortly before Mitchell SD. saw some linemen hanging new wires on steel power line poles. The helicopter that had just placed them on the top spar had just flown off. After being deposited on the pole they climb down the ladders they have hung from the spars to remove pulleys and install the insulators. We stopped on shoulder of Interstate 90 to take these pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
On 1st full day at Sturgis/Spearfish, Aug. 2 we went to Custer State Park for a stop at Sylvan Lake and to ride Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. A lot of the pictures were taken by my wife while riding with me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On Friday Aug.3 we met up with another couple from Belding who are traveling the country in their mini-motorhome with his Can-Am Spyder in enclosed trailer. They stayed in same campgrounds as we (my brother, wife and I) did, it was planned to meet them. He is 84 years old and still enjoys travel and motorcycling.
We all rode thru Spearfish Canyon to Deadwood then up to Sturgis to wander around town where we all got separated, so my wife and I rode out to Full Throttle Saloon to take in the circus like activity out there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A few more pictures of camping and the canyon day ride.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.