Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living right on I-90 in Minnesota, I have been watching all the bikes heading to Sturgis. My wife and I have been there twice, 2003, and 2007. It is killing us this year to not go, since this is the first year in a couple of years we actually have a bike. 2 summers ago, we were forced to sell both our bikes due to finances. Its so nice to have a bike again, and hopefully next year or the year after, she can have her own bike again. Hope you dont mind, but here are a few pics of our 2007 trip.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

I am originally from South Dakota, been to the rally's in the late 70's and early 80's.

In those days, the "Days of 76" which is the celebration of Statehood was a bigger event than the motorcycle rally. It preceded the motorcycle rally with a carnival and car show. We used to ride out for the end of the Days and the beginning of the rally and then go home. It was fun to see all the bikes roll in.

I would like to go back now again and see how much bigger it has become.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I have a 73 year old customer here in Virginia who does the Sturgis ride on a Harley Dyna-glide with no windshield to speak of and the stock seat.

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
I had that same V-Star for a while. I liked it but Hurricane Katrina claimed it. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Been 11 years since I went, place looks fair similar. Do they still do the photograph of all the peeps on mainstreet waving at about noon? Still got my souvenir paper somewhere, a very good time Sturgis is.:cool:

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been 11 years since I went, place looks fair similar. Do they still do the photograph of all the peeps on mainstreet waving at about noon? Still got my souvenir paper somewhere, a very good time Sturgis is.:cool:
I am thinking that they still do take that pic, I know they did it in 2007 when we were there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went last year. Rode the 89 trike. Took the long way around you might say. Tucson to Phenoix, Vegas, St. George Utah, Yellowstone (a week) then across to Sturgis... A long trip, very enjoyable. Minor problems, lost a u-joint at Yellowstone and lost a coil about 600 miles from home. Rode it on in on 4 cyl. Ran ok, just sucked the gas...Towns were so far apart and milage was so bad, had to buy two 4 gal gas cans to carry with me. Had to use them twice as could not make the next town. Although I enjoyed making the Sturgis rally for my first time, don't think I will ever go back. I enjoy rallys and do about 8-10per year. But that was just too big and too expensive for me. I mean $500 for tent camping at buffalo chip. the outhouses were built wrong, no venting and could not use them after 1st day as I couldn't hold my breath that long. The methane would have killed me. Pat downs worse than the TSA getting into the concerts for they were afraid you might sneek in a bottle of water. They wanted the $3.00 bucks for a bottle of water. But other than that, it was an experience I will never forget and do not in any way regret.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
twostrokes, thats what we said when we went in 2003, it was neat to see once, but didnt think we would go again. But every year we would see the bikes heading out, (we live right off I-90) and we would get the bug again. We finally went back in 2007. Both times we camped in campgrounds just ouside of town. Katmandu in 2003, and Shade valley in 07. Both places were $125 per person. We are thinking about going again next year, the only thing we will do different, is either stay in a Hotel for the week, or a cabin. It never fails to be the hotest week of the year, and staying in a tent without air conditioning is for the birds.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I was there in 2003 with the Vietnam Moving Wall, at the buffalo chip, hot, dirty, and expensive. I was an experience, and I am glad I went, the chip did pay my way, so that helped, But wont going back, there are a lot of things to see in the United States on a bike, and I aint getting any younger, later, planning on Arkansas in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Never been there while the rally was going on and never had a desire to. To many bikes and people for such a small place. Been to a few Wing Dings in my days and that is about as big a rally I want to go to. But it is a popular rally because it is well attended every year. Just not my thing.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
I watched some of the tv shows on the rally. I didn't realize it was $500 to camp at Buffalo Chip. Not for me, that is for sure. I have friends and family that live in the hills, so I am sure I would have a place but those gouging prices takes the fun out of it.

My niece used to go out there every year to work the rally as a bar tender when she was attending college. I am sure she had a good time.

I probably won't ever go back there during the rally.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts