Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about riding to Sturgis again this year from SW FL.
I rode last year and had a great time. The trip out and back was very good and I took mostly secondary roads and highways and saw some beautiful parts of this great USA. I only stayed in SD 2 days and road the Black Hills and surrounding areas. Anyone interested in riding out west let me know. It is the journey not the destination that makes it a great trip.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I've been through that part of the country but not when the Sturgis event was running. I much prefer going when there is less of a crowd. You are right, that is some beautiful country.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been through that part of the country but not when the Sturgis event was running. I much prefer going when there is less of a crowd. You are right, that is some beautiful country.
Been there many times over the years. Lived out west for 20+ years, like getting back out there, try to go at least once a year. (not Sturgis). Crowds aren't too bad, depending on where you go and what you do.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Sturgis

I am heading to Sturgis in 2011. However, I am heading east, from Seattle.

Any others heading that way?

I won't be there all that long, as I will be traveling further east to Brookings SD....

Then, back to Sturgis.... then to Colorado, Utah, Oregon.... have not made all of the plans yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
I might be going, if I can get my vacation and two or three of my friends all organized. I would like to see it then go on through the Black Hills.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Sturgis

I might be going, if I can get my vacation and two or three of my friends all organized. I would like to see it then go on through the Black Hills.
I usually travel that way alone. Once I start, I seem to match up with other bikes heading that way, but when they split off due to one of their riders having a problem or needs to stop for something, I usually split off and continue on my own. It is pretty easy to say good bye to those types..... a hand wave is usually good enough.

That being said, I would consider traveling with a few heading east to Sturgis. Let me know what your vacation plans are once you shape them up.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about it. If you wouldn't mind a non-winger tagging along
I don't mind at all, does't matter what you ride as long as you ride. It's the ride, commradory and enjoying the freedom of the open road.:p

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'd like to go back sometime, but it won't be this year. Sigh

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last year I traveled to Sturgis, been 16 years since my last trip there, I took mostly secondary roads and blue highways. It was very enjoyable, less traffic, and lots of good places to eat. It really didn't take any longer, most roads were 4 lane and you could make good time. It took me under 3 days from SW Fla. to Sturgis SD, however I was traveling alone, so I kept moving. I would enjoy traveling with other riders though. I wouldn't make it 3 days unless they wanted to.

Last summer my wife and I also traveled all secondary roads from SW FL to the NE part of the country, again more enjoyable, good lodging and good food, less traffic. Some areas you can't avoid interstate to get where your going but over 90% was blue highways.

Hope someone decides to ride out there from the south.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't mind at all, does't matter what you ride as long as you ride. It's the ride, commradory and enjoying the freedom of the open road.:p
Rock on, I feel pretty much the same way, I thought about going to Mt. Rushmore later this summer anyway...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts