Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, love love love my new to me ride, handles great, everything works, enjoying the wing life! However, I’m on my fifth tank of premium since I brought this lady home and have one more dose of Seafoam (second bottle). I’m still having problems with a low rpm stumble 1300-2400. It seams to slowly be getting better and my gas mileage is slowing increasing, started at 36, now at 40mpg. Looking for advice, should I stay the course or tear down the carbs and rebuild? Riding around here has been soooo nice lately, great weather, I’d hate to be down. Already did a lot of maintenance to her, front bearings/seals, front rotors, all new fluids. Have the rear bearings/seals, timing belts, and radiator hoses to complete yet. Looking for opinions/advice on the stumble.

Thanks
Chris

87 GL1200I
36,500 mile

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1980 gl1100 my carb issues were cured with a set of accell coils. one coil was cracked(couldn't see it while on the bike) other coil looked like someone filled the plug wire hole with comet. Bike has never ran better.
Don't get me wrong i have this same issue with my 1991 gl1500. Everything seems to point to vacuum leak, didn't start replacing lines yet, there is a lot of tupperware to remove to get at this stuff. This bike sat for 8 years before i got it so whatever was living in there may have chewed something off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
congrats on the new to you Wing, looks like it's in good shape
I would start by saying stop putting Premium in it, unless your on an 1800 these bikes are not designed to run on premium gas. I have tried premium and every time I do my bike runs like crap. if it still stumbles after you get through that seafoam treatment and you go to regular gas then you may need to look deeper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a tank of regular in it (2nd tank I forgot) and it ran worse! Beyond that, around here premium is the only thing that doesn’t have ethanol in it. It really seams to like the premium and I thought I read in the repair manual that it required 90 octane or better, I could be wrong tho. Thanks for the reply AJ!

·
Registered
625 Posts
The stumble may be caused by the carbs needing to be synced not necessarily rebuilt. I would try that first. The procedure on my Gl1000 is pretty simple with the right tools. By the way I have the same issue and I have to buy the tool. Don't know which one to get but I have some more work to do anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts