Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,687 Posts
OK this you are going to have to do carefully.
You'll need a hammer and a chisel. Put the chisel on the outer ring of the filter next to the engines and start tapping on the chisel with the hammer so the filter will turn Counter Clockwise. I've used this method once to remove a stuck oil filer.
You could also try driving a Phillips head screw drive through the filter (messy) if the end of the filter is out of shape.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I have driven screwdrivers through them and had them actually rip out of the oil filter then had to do the hammer and chisel method described by Ron above. No easy way to do it. Once you get it off and you will, just messy and time consuming remember when you put on the new filter not to use your bionic arm when you tighten it.

Good luck, we have all been there at one time or another.

·
Super Moderator
10,044 Posts
After you get the old one off remenber when you put the new one on to put a thin coating of oil on the rubber gasket so it won't stick next time.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
+1 on what two wheel said......

And getting it off might be a little messy.....I have had to do the methods listed above also.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
hey flash i had to use a strap wrench also

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
What year bike are you working on? If it's older than a 1988, it's a cartridge style filter.

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Good point 'tank. Forgot about that myself...all those years I changed oil in my 1200:eek:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can't get the oil filter off with normal methods (Oil filter wriench) Any suggestions?
This is what I use note you will have to remove the front lower tupperware
Which I do anyways. This tool I bought many years ago from snap on
But I don't think it is Snap on brand
This tool opens up to grab ahold of different size filters and it absolutely puts the death grip on the filter. It will not slip period. Before it slips you would twist the bike off the center stand. I will look around to see if I can find out where to buy online.
I know this will not help you now but the other suggestions given should work. My favorite way to remove stuck filters that will not come off with a normal filter wrench is the large channel-locks as mentioned but your bike would have to be really high.
So if it is not too late and your wrench is just spinning around the filter just get a damp shop rag put it over the filter slide on the wrench and once you get the wrench in the position where you can get Max torque on it
Using quick hard pulling motions kinda pretend to be an impact gun using hard forceful pulls instead of one giant red face grunt pull. If the wrench still slips fold the rag and try again. Good luck and like the others mentioned don't forget to lube the new filter gasket.
I found it or one that looks like mine

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002SR4PY

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
Good point 'tank. Forgot about that myself...all those years I changed oil in my 1200:eek:
my 1200 wing has a spin on filter and i use the strap wrench on it too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.