Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good fortune and hard work have combined to produce a situation where, after 30 years of biking, I can afford to buy a new 2012 Gold Wing! With cash!!

I'm looking for advice on buying strategy. I live in Washington state. What should I be expecting to pay relative to MSRP?

Thanks,

Pasta

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Good for you Pasta & welcome to the GWOF.

This thread will get a wide variety of responses. People will tell you to shop on the internet, go to another state etc etc etc. My suggestion is ask some of the people here from Washington State & I'm quite sure you can find a Good Honda Dealer to purchase from, this way you can help your local economy as well as have a dealer to lean on if & when needed.

I know others will say that if they're a Honda dealer they have to work on it whether you bought it from them or not, but reality is if you buy it from the dealer that services it you will endear yourself.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello psychopasta from washington, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
$4,000 off MSRP and no fake dealer ad on fees for anything!
. There are different levels of Gold Wing so it depends on what you want. E-Bay dealers have them from $19,999 up. Honda suggested retail starts around $23850. I would say if you get one for $20,000 out the door that would be fair. Depemdding on what your taxes are in your area that can make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
. There are different levels of Gold Wing so it depends on what you want. E-Bay dealers have them from $19,999 up. Honda suggested retail starts around $23850. I would say if you get one for $20,000 out the door that would be fair. Depemdding on what your taxes are in your area that can make a big difference.
My comment included all levels. Did not include any taxes that apply.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
My comment included all levels. Did not include any taxes that apply.
You salesman you, leave out the hidden costs.:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm a dealer in Canada so here's what I would suggest. Talk to as many dealers in your area (reasonable distance) as you can and get a feel for how they repsond to you. Over the phone isn't always a good indicator, so in person is best. That way you can see their premises, and a face to face interview is better for both parties. As TF mentioned, be wary of add-on charges that are untowards. It does cost a certain amount to PDI a GL so there actually should be some set up fee invloved no matter what your settling price is, although a decent dealership will have that factored into their best final selling price. It's different for you cross the line, I think you are stuck with tax and license fees regardless (not sure of all your rules state by state) but this time of year any dealer should be willing to sharpen the pencil. As fossil mentioned, it's a good will thing to try and stay as local as possible, your selling dealer is far more prone to looking after you than someone 500 or more miles away. It's all well and good to get the best deal you can, just remember there's more to it than just the price. After sale service is very important too. Remember also that any Hondaline accessories you may be interested in will often be installed at no charge to you as a courtesy for buynig from them, plus they are then warrantied the same as the warranty of the motorcycle. Happy hunting, and welcome.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Is it better to negotiate for a good price now or after the first of the year.... January? For used, private person sales, now is perfect. For dealerships and new, I am not sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Im interested in buying also and in the southeast. Ive subscribed to this thread.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
For many of us, this is off season for motorcycles. Off season is typically a good time to work out a bargain be it a private sale or at a dealership. If you live in the snowbelt, a private sale at this time of year can present some weather hassles both as a buyer and a seller. You can't test ride and if the bike is storerd for the winter, even starting it can be a problem due to space and accessibility. Even if you can make a deal with thowner, loading and transport can be difficult, but the owner just may be itching to gain some extra cash in his jeans prior to Christmas. As to a dealership, many shops are sitting on units that are floor planned (interest bearing) and as such may just be willing to get a unit out the door to save paying on a 'dead inventory' piece. If a dealership owns the inventory outright, they may still jump at the chance to take a unit out of their stock for the extra cash flow and cut a very good deal on it. Remember, though, a buyers market doesn't mean that anyone will take a foolish price just to flog something, keep it real.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sure. I understand and luckily I happen to NOT be in the snow belt.

But Im curious. Is the retail value of 19,900 shown in kbb for a 2010 abs unreasonable ?? Generally speaking ?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Is that brand new? If not I'd say it's high; '12's are new on the floor starting at $19,999. Granted that's an ABS, but still.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yep. I hit Kelly Blue Book for bikes selected the GW 1800 with abs, asked for retail value ... $19,840 came up.

The dealers Im gently probing remain at 24k. This is why I ask. Seems kind of high for a left over model ... Im figuring, maybe incorrectly, thats about what I should be paying for a 2012 abs. Maybe even a little less depending on accessories.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Depending on where you are in Washington, state.
Chet's Honda in Quince, Everett Power Sports in the Seattle area.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Is that brand new? If not I'd say it's high; '12's are new on the floor starting at $19,999. Granted that's an ABS, but still.
budoka - This is obviously an American price because in Canada, at least in the East, it is much higher. Even when our dollar was higher than the US and they were still making them in the States we still had to pay a premium price for the same bike. My local dealer told me to get mine in Florida because I had a son there but by the time I went down for the winter our dollar dropped to $0.75. Not worth it then. Why do we pay such a high price in Canada?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yes, I fully understand what you're saying Redfox, the US prices are quite a bit lower than ours. They have more models to choose from, more colour choices, and much better availability; largely due to the fact that there is also 10x the buyer pool to work from...volume talks. The unfair thing is, it costs Handa absolutely nothing more to produce the bikes/ATVs/cars/power equpment etc to ship to Canada than it does for the US market, regardless of which factory or what continent they're built in/on. Now there are some trade/border tarriff issues that we won't even try to get into here but they do exist, and I've heard it 100 times that the price differential has absolutely nothing to do with the difference in the two monetary levels (yeah right, and the price of gas doesn't have anything to do with the price of crude when it drops either). That's coming right from Honda Canada and Honda US. Part of the problem is because of the huge difference in the size of the market, the US pricing has traditionally been low and to compensate, ours was high; same as the automobile (domestic or import BTW) industry price structure. Just the way it is. Of late (2-3 model years) the m/c ORV side of Honda has done a good job in lowering our Canadian retail levels but the cost has come at dealer level both here and south of the border, margins across the board have shrunk substantially for both Canadian and US dealers. Sorry gang, but that's true, retail margins are in the toilet, and a typical m/c margin is about half of what they were 5 years ago. These deals are super skinny, and it shows by how many dealerships are closing regularly, both here and in the US. Two major Powerhouse stores closed in the Edmonton area in the last year, and dealers across Canada and in the States are shutting down at an alarming rate, and it's not brand specific either. The days of heavily inventoried dealerships and massive incentive sell-offs are over, all the Japanese OEMs are or already have restructured thier production schedules to avoid overstocking and supplies being tight will curtail the price cuts.
So yeah, it's all well and good to shop far and wide for that 'greratest deal', but where do you turn to when the local shops all close the doors for good? Be very careful what you wish for.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
I got my 09 base model for $4,200 under MSRP. I had to travel to Philadelphia, which is about 125 miles from home. I was getting it serviced locally until the local place stopped selling Honda's. So now I'm in the market for another dealer for service. Closest is about 45 miles away.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Closest is about 45 miles away.
2 things there buddy. #1 You won't get a nicer bunch of guys & honest than Leb Valley
#2 an Ole Fossil can always be included to shuttle back & forth to W/B which would also include breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Hey Hey now that's a deal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.