Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GL 1800 that I bought a couple of years ago to use as a winter & long distance ride, my other is a BMW sportbike. Anyway, I got a pair of electric gloves for X-Mas and immediately installed them. That is the only other thing that the battery pulls, I do not have any aftermarket lights etc. added to the bike. One day last week, as I was leaving work, the bike stalled as soon as I put it in gear but fired right back up with no other issues. This morning, (after the bike had sat in the garage over the weekend) I turned on the ignition and all lights came on as normal but as soon as I hit the starter, the bike died and everything went out. I turned the key off, then back on and again had lights and all looked normal but as soon as I hit the starter everything went out again. This process was repeated a few times before I decided to get off the bike and investigate further. This time when I turned the ignition on I didn't have any lights/power. For some reason I then got on the bike and as soon as my butt hit the seat, all lights came on like normal and when I hit the starter the bike fired right up as if nothing had ever happend. I then turned it off and back on several more times and she fired up every time thereafter. I then made the 30 minute trip into work in 17 degree air temperature. After a couple of hours, I went back to the parking garage for another test start. Again, lights came on as normal but all died out when I hit the starter. I then turned the key on, placed my knee firmly into the seat which caused the gauges/lights to come on and the bike again fired right up. Not thinking, I didn't pay attention to the volt meter until I was coming home and noticed it ranged between 10.0 and 14.6. I called the previous owner and asked if the battery was the original or if he had replaced it at some point to which he answered that he had replaced it "a couple of times" but mostly because he hardly rode it (it only had 12,000 miles on it when I bought it two years ago). Again, because I only use it for trips and bad weather, the bike sits a lot during the summer but is on a Battery Tender when not in use. The wiring harness for the gloves is not being pinched or are in any bind. The bike now has just under 28,000 miles nad has never given me any problems. Other than a new battery, I'm lost as to what may be causing this behavior. Can someone please give me some feedback? Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Sounds like it could be a loose wire connection (maybe ground) under the seat. When you sit on it or put weight on it then it works like normal. I would pull the seat off and have a look see at the wires under there. Look for something loose, check all the connections and look for any ground wires that might be loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Darksider! one more question though: As I was looking for any loose wires (Didn't find any) I remembered that when I added the wire harness for the gloves, I had to use longer bolts for ther terminal posts. Looking closer there, I noticed that the end of the bolt was very close to touching the metal inside of the terminal housing. If the bolt does touch that metal, could that have cause the problem described?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bamaeagle hit it on the head. Definitely a loose connection someplace. Most likely a loose connection on the battery post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guy's and my apologies to Bamaeagle for using the incorrect name. I shortened the bolts to the terminal and so far so good. It looked like there was contact being made there so time will tell for sure. I appreciate the help!

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Glad you're sorted out. Welcome to the site rvint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts