Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Newbie here from Toledo, Ohio. I have a 1993 Goldwing Interstate and it just developed a weird radio problem that I hope someone here can shed some light on. If this is posted in the wrong area please feel free to move it.

Anyway, the radio just started cutting out. It cuts out whenever I pull in the clutch or when I put the kickstand down.

Has anyone else experience this weird radio behavior? Any ideas what it might be? Or where to start looking?

I had an older Goldwing years ago and I remember having to get the radio repaired and it was BIG BUCKS! I'd like to avoid that scenario if possible?

Could it just be a ground somewhere? Where to look? Or other bad connection somewhere? Or is it more serious issue somewhere?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Howie

·
Super Moderator
28,525 Posts
Howie, My gut tells me a loose connection or ground like you allude to. Now where? I don't know, maybe you will want to take off the Top false tank & that will get you to the connectors for the radio at least I think the Interstate is the same as the SE. Could be wrong about that but I would start at the connectors 1st.

If all else fails & it has to be repaired try these guys.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fossile92 for the chime in. Yeah, gotta start somewhere. This bike is an electrical nightmare. I'm sure you know that. I was just hoping someone else would have had the same or very similar problem and I could have nailed it down easier that way. If I find out anything I'll repost so someone else can benefit if they run into the same thing.

Thanks
Howie

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Howie, I checked the troubleshooting section of the manual and all I found was some of the connectors mentioned and fuses. And of course the schematics don't show connector locations. I didn't do a thorough search but that's what I came up with. Do you have a service manual? I'll do some more digging and if I find something more informative I'll let you know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently changed my radio on my gl1500se because the radio didn't work but the intercom did. (cassette mechanism had been removed)
Anyway when I took the radio out I found one of the wires had broken in the main connector on the back of the radio. I ended up drilling the one broken connector in the block & making a new one.
I think because the wiring loom comes out to the left then back on itself must put the wires under some stress.
Maybe the cause of your problems.
Hope this helps & good luck.
Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
On my 93 Aspencade when left the radio there a few multi pin connectors and a single larger green wire that ground the radio chassis to the bike. I would start by making sure both end of that are clean. If you need help on how to get the radio off let us know and I can give you a how too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts