Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode just about 800 miles yesterday and when I got home and turned the key to 'ON' to check my mileage, instead of the normal buzz of the fuel pump there was a strange gurgling sort of sound. I tried it a few times and it was the same each time. It would start fine though, and run normally. This morning it seems to be back to normal. I didn't notice it at any other time yesterday when I stopped for gas, only when I got home.

Does this sound familar to anyone? I first thought the fuel pump may be toast but I was expecting it to be doing the same thing this morning and it's not. Can air get in that pump somehow to make it gurgle? The fuel was low when I got home, but still at about 1/5th of a tank.

Kerry

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
how much gas was in the tank when you got home? was it low enough tosuck some air

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Normal....Mine does it alot & I've never had a problem......You know always after a good meal I belch....I'm thinking she enjoyed the ride....LOL

Mark

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much gas was in the tank when you got home? was it low enough tosuck some air
Around 1/5th of a tank left. I've ran drier than that before without noticing this.

You know always after a good meal I belch....I'm thinking she enjoyed the ride....LOL

Mark
That's funny :).

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi, I think what you noticed was due to heat soak, the Tupperware does a great job of keeping radiant heat off of us, however it traps the heat causing the fuel tank to heat up as well. Next time you go for a long ride like this and notice the noise when you turn the key on, slowly loosen the fuel cap to see if any pressure gets purged. Once the cap is off turn the key on again and see if the noise is still present. I have a bad habit of riding my wing hard then when I get home I park my wing in the garage and close the door if I go back in the garage after 10 minutes or so the garage is very hot. So I have been leaving the door open with my ceiling fan on. This helps cool the bike down. Once cool I shut the door and turn off the fan.
My theory is that with the added heat from heat soak in the tank the and added pressure the fuel in the fuel lines somehow with the expansion of the fuel causes the line to partially empty out and end up with some air in the lines. The other scary possibility is that the fuel is actually boiling this would happen faster with lower fuel level. The boiling fuel could cause air to enter the fuel lines and pump causing the noise.
What causes me to believe this is my charcoal canister went bad possibly from over filling my tank. Under the same scenario the heat soak just after ten minutes caused my garage to fill up with dangerous levels of gas fumes. It was intense and scary. I have a new charcoal canister but the cause of the fumes without a doubt in my mind was trapped radiant heat from the engine,and exhaust especially the cat.
So just like we spend time warming the bike up before we take off we should also let it cool back down before we shut it in a closed garage.
I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It normal, my 02 and 08 both did it, you probably never noticed it because most times you don't turn it back on right after turning it off. Nothing to worry about

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the reassurance. I will also try the loosening the gas cap if I notice it again.

Cheers,
Kerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts