Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic storage tips for any vehicle:

Although this can be extended much further, these are just the basics for 60 plus days of storage regardless of the time of year.

A fuel stabilizer should be added to the fuel and the fuel tank should be topped off. Run the engine thoroughly to assure it is warm and fuel is throughout the system.

Before shutting the engine off, it would be recommended to fog the engine at a slightly elevated idle. The engine should kill when you back off the throttle but, if it doesn’t, continue fogging process and hit the kill switch. The engine should not be started or turned over after this step has been completed until it is time to pull out of storage. Top fuel tank off again. Shut fuel off if applicable.

The following can be skipped if AMSOIL is used: At this point, considering you have a Four Stroke, change the oil with oil of the proper specifications, although you can use less expensive oil for storage. This is to avoid TBN (acid neutralizer of oil) depletion. Pro and Con to this but I believe in it with the tests I have seen.

A good idea would be to have the tires off the ground for the storage period.

I would recommend a Battery Tender and not a trickle charger be put on the battery. If your choice is to remove the battery, it should be stored inside and on a piece of wood, put a trickle charger on it every few weeks just to keep it up and be sure it is fully charged before reinstalling. A 1 volt drop in your battery can begin to damage starters and charging systems.

Again, these are just basic simple steps and this can be extrapolated much further.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great tips, I can use them on my el camino since I don't drive it any more.
Absolutely !

These are the Major Basic Storage Tips for any internal cumbustion equipment from lawn mowers on up.

Get that camino up on jack stands for storage. Not under the suspension but under the frame so the wheels hang free.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
wash and wax your bike before storage

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Or just ride it......

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
I like Mark's idea, but it's just too darn cold around here in the winter, especially on these old bones. So I guess I'll stick with the storage thing....

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Sorry Charlie, I was just being selfish.....

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Sorry Charlie, I was just being selfish.....

Mark
Don't be sorry Mark. If I lived down south I'd be on the bike all year. The other problem with PA is the roads are bad enough in the spring/summer/fall and they are just unbearable in the winter. Holes the size of small craters all over the place..

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
place some cardboard down and park your bike on it. the cardboard will keep alot of the moisture from the floor off the bottom of your bike, no more rusting mufflers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Info

Basic storage tips for any vehicle:

Although this can be extended much further, these are just the basics for 60 plus days of storage regardless of the time of year.

A fuel stabilizer should be added to the fuel and the fuel tank should be topped off. Run the engine thoroughly to assure it is warm and fuel is throughout the system.

Before shutting the engine off, it would be recommended to fog the engine at a slightly elevated idle. The engine should kill when you back off the throttle but, if it doesn’t, continue fogging process and hit the kill switch. The engine should not be started or turned over after this step has been completed until it is time to pull out of storage. Top fuel tank off again. Shut fuel off if applicable.

The following can be skipped if AMSOIL is used: At this point, considering you have a Four Stroke, change the oil with oil of the proper specifications, although you can use less expensive oil for storage. This is to avoid TBN (acid neutralizer of oil) depletion. Pro and Con to this but I believe in it with the tests I have seen.

A good idea would be to have the tires off the ground for the storage period.

I would recommend a Battery Tender and not a trickle charger be put on the battery. If your choice is to remove the battery, it should be stored inside and on a piece of wood, put a trickle charger on it every few weeks just to keep it up and be sure it is fully charged before reinstalling. A 1 volt drop in your battery can begin to damage starters and charging systems.

Hi Bob!
I do enjoy reading your comments regarding oil in our bikes.
I purchased a 2012 Gild Wing in September & love it. The bike as 1,400 kilometres (about 900 miles).
I live in Aylmer Quebec & will be storing the bike for the Winter season in a couple of weeks. My question
to you is, if I change to Amsoil now, I may do maybe 500 miles on the bike before storing it. You mentioned the Amsoil
has anti-rust and corrosion inhibitors, does that mean i do not need to "fog " my 6 cylinders for storage over the 3 months I won't be ridding?

Thanks
:)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guy,

Even with AMSOIL, if the storage period is 60+ days, I will always recommend fogging the engine.

I can supply everything needed for everyone's winter storage, oil, fuel stabalizer and fogger all at wholesale prices to the public.

Except for Canada, No clubs to join, no passwords and no secret handshakes.

I need to handle Canada different due to the rate of exchange and taxes but I can still help our friends to the North.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts