Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden all my life. Just about every make out there. Currently riding a 2009 Harley Classic. I've had this one for about 10 years. I really think I want a Goldwing now. They just look so different from the old man bike of the past. I like the feel of a sport bike but just no room for all my stuff. My hubby and I have made quite a few overnight trips on our bikes, (he has a Classic too) and it's nice having all the trunk space. This Goldwing is just an over sized sport bike, with bags. I've been looking at the 2018's, just not sure if I'm ready. I can't stop thinking about it. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
If it's just you on the bike, then you have the back seat to keep an extra bag. My wife doesn't ride and I usually have a small cooler there. I've tested the new model and they do ride awesome.

·
Super Moderator
15,018 Posts
hello WWW2B, welcome to GWOF!! I gave up my Goldwing years ago for something smaller than even the new Goldwing. when I first got the Mighty ST 1300 it had a trunk on it but it wasn't very large so on my first voyage I loaded up a small wolfman expedition duffle bag ( its waterproof ) with all of my clothing for the trip just to see how much I could fit in it. now days I only use one saddlebag and the duffle bag so if you want a wing it is do-able, here is a pic of my setup, oh and the trunk got replaced by the fuel cell

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Virginia!

Get the new wing you won’t be disappointed!

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF @WWW2B. The new Wings are "wonderbikes" in my opinion but then all Wings are great motorcycles in my opinion.

Anyway, I think you need to take one for a test ride to push yourself over that fence.

Only other comment I have is....................the fact that you say you can't stop thinking about it says you're already there, your body just hasn't caught up to your brain yet.:wink2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get the new Wing, it is great and you'll love it!! You won't be disappointed for sure. After all, it is how creative you pack and how you maximize the limited space. The smaller size is what attracted me to the new Wing.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
If I had the disposable cash I'd be on a DCT in a heartbeat. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I definitely need to take one for a test drive. I've had several sport bikes and I love the responsiveness. My favorite was my BMW K1200GT. But it was just too tall for me. I was always so worried I was going to drop it trying to maneuver around in a parking space. I finally had to sell it and that's when I got my Classic. I'm only 5'-4" but I'm flat footed on my Classic and I have no worries, well not as bad as the BMW. It's still a super heavy bike. But I'm sure the Goldwing will be more like my BMW but closer to the ground. If I could just get hubby on board so we could both get a Wing, but he says, "there's nothing wrong with my bike", which really means, "there's nothing wrong with your bike either". :tapfoot:

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
Hahaha usually it's the wife holding the husband back on purchases???

:LaughHard:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a question. We communicate while riding with the CB. Using the headsets from J&M. If I were to get a Goldwing, how would we communicate? I've see different bluetooth sets but am unfamiliar with them. These CB's are not impressive. There has to be a better way. And say we were both to get a Goldwing, is there a bike to bike communication available?

·
Super Moderator
27,604 Posts
So communications are always a whirlwind.

The new Wings audio is apple play. Androids do work to an extent. The J&M dongle should still work but you may need to go from a Harley cord to a Goldwing cord. The Honda is a 5 pin.

My wife and I have cut that umbilical cord and we use the Cardo Freecom 2 headsets. However if you go that route I'm not sure what is needed to allow the connection to the bike since ours is a 1500 we dont really use the bike audio system any longer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Most of the bluetooth sets will offer an option to have bike to bike comms. Each has it's own interface requirements though near as I know

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I think worst thing is to get brand conscious. I have met many riders who refuse to try something else and stand by the reasoning that this one brand is the only thing they will ride. I have had well over 100 bikes and they have been a mix of British, German, Asian and American. I will not travel with anything but my wing however I solo on my Valkyrie, Victory and occasionally the Excelsior. Broaden your horizons and give it a whirl is my advice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check out the Cardo freedom line they offer bike to bike for up to I think 10 riders with what they call mesh tech. When we were looking we tried the Sena and others sound quality and ease of use could not be equaled a by the other units, you can even get Cardo with JBL speak ers. As far as space on the Wing my wife and I used to ride for a week at a time and we found that everything fit along with stuff we bought along the way. Would recommend form fitting soft luggage so when you pack the bag it fits the bike.😁😁

·
Registered
138 Posts
Been using the Cardo Packtalk and works great bike to bike thru both Dynamic Mesh Network and Bluetooth. Welcome by the way.

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Pa. Hope you pull the trigger soon. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi from Texarkana, USA, I too have a Harley Ultra Classic and find my self looking and thinking about the new Goldwing. NO, the Goldwing does not come standard with a CB, it is a $1000 add on. You can go the wireless Bluetooth route, OR, J & M makes a "Blue Hub" that adds the 5 pin corded option for driver and rider. Its a Bluetooth device that had lets you use your corded headsets. I had a 05 GW and loved the ride and smoothness, but it just seemed to "big" for me at the time. Went to a 07 Ultra Classic. Now that the new wing is out, I REALLY LIKE THE NEW SIZE AND LOOK.
Going to do a test ride of both DCT and Manual, may have to make the switch back to the GW!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts