Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been trying to purchase a Goldwing with little success. Here is my question. I just looked at one last night. 1984 Goldwing Aspencade, 78,000 miles for $2195.00. The bike was in pretty good shape with normal wear signs. We start off with the owner thought it needs a tune up because after riding at 55 when you slow down it sputters a little. I thought no big deal. Then a problem with the adjustable air pressure in front and back he says I was able to get this to before and eventually does. I am still thinking no big deal. When I put the bike in first (by the way started right up no problem) I could not get it out. Owner stated that it was difficult to get into neutral. I was thinking more like impossible and never did get it back to neutral. I was unable to ride the bike as it was raining outside. Am I looking at good deal or was I right to not purchase?
I am I being too picky? Is it reasonable to expect to pay this amount of money or a little more and get a bike that actually is reasonably solid? I don't have a ton of money to spend on repairs right away. Any help would be appreciated.
Jim

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I have a 08 not to familiar with the Aspencade, It might be a good deal if you can do the repairs yourself,If not I might walk away and wait for another deal to come up which it will.
I dont think you are being to picky,I have seen Wings that same range that run good around the same price.
Check Ebay and Craigslist Hang in there one will show up.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
I would pass on this one, for 2k that he is asking the 84 should not need anything but an oil chang. I am around Phily. Pa if you find one around my way maybe I can help take a look.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Whenever you have a problem with the transmission, which could be the case here, I would hesitate to buy. Unless you are extreemly good with a wrench and could pull the transmission and repair on your own, you are looking at a $2k - $3k bill. There are a lot of great older wings out there with out major problems. Keep looking, you will find yours..

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
jbhsgj, 1st welcome to the site. 2nd, The guys are giving some pretty solid advise here. When you buy a used Wing for sure you will encounter some issues. However there are plenty of used bikes out there you just need to keep looking. I too would stay away from a bike with Trans or engine snafus. Good luck on your search & ck out this website for some good info.The tips for buying & the history are very good.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 1984 Aspencade also. Mine is in pieces right now, When I got mine the stator was bad. So I am repairing that and while the engine is out cleaning it up repainting and putting some new gaskets on it. The owner that I got it from had no problems with it going into netural. He would ride it all the time till the stator went bad. The bike has 107000 miles give or take a couple on it, and runs strong the last time I heard it run.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome and ditto to all of the above. Good things come to those who wait as they say, so patience is indeed a virtue. Due dilligence will always pay high dividends so stick to your guns and wait for that bike that rings the tuning fork. If in doubt, do as golddragon says and get someone experienced to view and test the bike with you.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF jbhsgj. have you checked www.craigslist.org in your area? i have an '84 aspy that i paid $2500 for back in '07 and the only thing it needed was tires and an oil change. now the compressor is not working so the suspension is sacked. the compressor will have to be fixed before riding. while searching for a wing make sure it is charging and ask if the timing belts have been changed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice

Thanks for all the replies. It is definitely hard not to get anxious, but really trying to rely on what I feel is right. I will certainly keep looking. I have a number of spots I check frequently including craigslist. Certainly hope to be riding soon!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As luck would have it

I found a 1981 Goldwing for $1200.00 in a town we were visiting for the day. It shifts and everything. The bike does need some work cosmetically but I believe it is in relatively good mechanical shape. The guy was pretty particular about the bike and concerned that I had been riding a while before jumping on this bike. Drove it the 1 1/2 hours home with no problems. I love it!!! What a difference from my other bike (81' Honda CM400E). Didn't find myself hoping I had another gear the whole trip. I am on my way for an initial check over with a local guy who is an old school type mechanic.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good for you jbhsgj! That's a pretty fair step up from a CM400 but enjoy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts