Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help! (Don’t know if I should post this on New Rides or General). Anyway - took a 400-mile ride from Ft Worth to College Station to play in a 42 Tournament yesterday & today - and each time I take a ride like this on my 2012 GL 1800 - I still am AMAZED at the power, handling, stability, beauty and overall engineering of this 55k-mile motorcycle. Cruising most of the time at 75 mph w plenty of reserve power when needed. Rode almost 200 miles on one fill up. Rode about an hour in rain and had to pull over for a while but oh what a ride. #HondaGoldwingRocks!

·
Super Moderator
14,342 Posts
I've experienced some heavy rain crossing Texas. Always exciting. What kind of help do you need? If it's ideas of riding farther, head west and a bit north and you will find more roads and cooler weather. I get around 200 miles on a tank on the interstates, but just cruising the back roads get around 240 a tank.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Glad you still enjoy your ride.

Did you pull over because the rain got really bad, or because something was wrong with the bike?

If you just need help feeling less amazed about the bike, maybe try changing the air filter?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you still enjoy your ride.

Did you pull over because the rain got really bad, or because something was wrong with the bike?

If you just need help feeling less amazed about the bike, maybe try changing the air filter?
.... rain was just coming down too hard. And the help I needed was deciding which posting category to put my initial post in to. Thank you much for your comments. One thing I meant to mention is the way our bikes perform when passing an 18-Wheeler at highway speeds ... on my old 1300S - there was noticeable air disturbance that was a little freaky. But not my GL1800 - it really pierces thru the air with minimal air “flutter” (when wearing my golf cap - I can even leave the bill facing forward). I love to read all the great comments in the forum!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I have owned will over 100 bikes, all sizes almost all brands and I agree each time I climb aboard the wing I am amazed. I am on my 2nd personal 1800 which is not unusual as they tend to last forever. 167,000 miles on the last one and the current unit is climbing up in miles also. That's a good thing. BTW riding in hail is also a good reason to pull off the road :)

·
Super Moderator
28,282 Posts
You have realized what many before you know. The Wing is a fabulous machine no matter which vintage you throw a leg over.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I also have a "12" wing. Traded my "89" 1500 for it. Yours looks blue by your picture. Mine is red, the fastest color. Like others have said it is the best bike to throw your leg over. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I also have a "12" wing. Traded my "89" 1500 for it. Yours looks blue by your picture. Mine is red, the fastest color. Like others have said it is the best bike to throw your leg over. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.
No no no...Red is a cop magnet. Pearl White is the fastest. It's like the wind, you can't see the wind and when on a Pearl White Wing it's almost impossible io see it it is so fast.

Goldwing Blue is beautiful. It blends in with all of nature. (y):giggle:(y)

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ha! ... mine is black. but lots of extra chrome and lights. Ugly when it's dirty but glistens when it's clean! Although it's almost 9 years old - I get compliments everywhere i go. But my least favorite GW color is still drop-dead gorgeous!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Agree with Fee34610 about how amazing our bikes are. Last summer westbound on Colorado 160 out of Wolf Creek Pass two Harleys came up behind me and the wife on our 2010 GL1800. These were old guys with Go-Pros and all that. Well, we commenced a nice chase all the way to CO 550. Even though we were at Max gross weight (on a two week trip), I was just playing with them. At will I could pour the coals to it and leave them, especially on the great uphill sweepers etc. Not saying Harleys have no power! My 1991 FLHTC has a 2005 S&S that flat out flys. But the Wing is astonishing in its comfort, maneuverability (I have the Traxxion “full Monte” suspension) and power, both top and lower end. Just did ALL the 25000 mi. services right here in my garage, thanks to a three inch thick Service Manual and YouTube. Don’t see any reason to downsize to the later Wings. Anyway, my 2010 was made in Marysville, OH and I like it that way.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GREAT story! One thing I forgot to mention is how fantastic the OEM audio system Is too. Like the auto noise volume adjuster and the equalizer. I connect my iPhone to the iPod aux cable and play Spotify. I have thought about upgrading but only for a second.

·
Registered
18 Posts
GREAT story! One thing I forgot to mention is how fantastic the OEM audio system Is too. Like the auto noise volume adjuster and the equalizer. I connect my iPhone to the iPod aux cable and play Spotify. I have thought about upgrading but only for a second.
Don’t want to change direction of your thread, but do you get an audible ‘rpm’ hum through your iPod aux cable? We’re hardwired into helmets...wish there was an easy fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts