Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I hit the starter button on my '95 SE, and the starter started spinning and would not stop. I tried everything to disengage the starter, but it continued to spin until the battery was completely discharged. It didn't matter if the key was on or off. Now, I've charged up the battery and the starter works great, but when I engage the reverse lever I have no reverse. The lever moves into reverse position easier than it did before, but still there is no reverse. Can anyone explain what happened and what I should do?

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF mike, you may have burnt out the reverse relay

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had something like this happen with my starter. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the hot wire going to the starter, and when I wanted to go, I just touched the wire to the starter and immediately removed it once the bike started, otherwise the starter would stay engaged.

I took the solenoid apart and wire brushed it and used fine sand paper on the copper pieces inside to smooth them out. Since doing that I have not had problems with the starter sticking.

Good luck !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks again for the advice. I also noticed that when I have the bike running in neutral and pull up the reverse lever, the green reverse light does not come on. I removed the seat and side panels to find the reverse relay, however it is not where the goldwing manual says it should be. The manual shows that it is under the seat and even gives a good picture showing the reverse relay, however the relay is not where the book shows it to be. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts