Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just restored a 1984 Goldwing Interstate. The front hand brake sticks. I got a used caliper off of Ebay. I rebuilt it. I also rebuilt the master cylinder. The brake still sticks. I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?:mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

The brake sticks on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sticky brakes

The brake sticks on?
Yes, if I touch the hand brake at all while rolling backwards or anything at all it eventually locks up while riding. I have to stop and loosen the bleed valve to relieve the pressure. By then the brakes are usually smoking. As I mentioned before...I got a different caliper and rebuilt it. I also rebuilt the master cylinder. It still does the same thing. can't figure it out. I wonder if there is something floating around in the brake line itself. I don't know what else to do.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Did you check and make sure that the pistons are releasing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sticky brakes

Did you check and make sure that the pistons are releasing?
Yes, the pistons seem to work fine. For some reason it is not allowing the fluid to come back when the brake is released. What makes it even more strange is that doesn't happen right away. For instance...if I use the hand brake to stop from rolling backwards it might be 5 to 10 miles down the road before pressure builds to the point that the brakes start smoking. It seems to happen slowly. If I bleed off the pressure by releasing the bleed valve and never touch the hand brake again it seems to be fine. Very strange.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Did you remove the small metal guard plate in the reservoir and clean the hole under it?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
like said above it could be the brake line collapsing inside or it could be the return hole port in the master cylinder partly clogged up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts