Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Thought that it was about time to join this forum since I stop by and read it over the years. Has anyone had to deal with a clutch that shifts fine when not under load but once put into gear is hard to shift? I drove my ‘87 interstate to work with no problems but... as I was returning home it seams that my clutch lever was losing it’s play to the point that in gear I would have to use the breaks to prevent the bike from rolling forward in gear. At times stalling. I didn’t see any fluid under the bike and the reservoir is full. Could I just have old fluid? I don’t know when the last replacement was done.
Again hi.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Brake and clutch fluid is notorious for absorbing moisture. Most people change them out every year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cracked open the reservoir and saw condensation, that would be in line with your assessment. Hope bleeding the clutch goes better than changing spark plugs on my vt 750. Any advice before I get started?

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Ron Robertson has posted some tips and tricks before. I suggest searching for a thread dealing with brake or clutch bleeding.

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
First thing to do would be suck the fluid out of the reservoir and clean all the gunk out of the bottom. Fill the reservoir and used the vacume pump to bleed the clutch, be sure to keep the reservoir at least half full you don't want to draw air into the system

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs, this should be a no brainer if I can only remember to Bering home my wrenchs from work.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Making sure there is no gunk build up is key. I used Ron's trick with the clutch on my race bike for bleeding the air out. Tied the lever squeezed over night after filling the reservoir and it worked like a charm. All the CBR models have cable clutches (and other brand bikes for that matter) but for some reason my RC51 has a hydraulic one...:crying:Makes for difficult high rpm launches when all the other racers can slip their cable clutches with ease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts