Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2002 wing that all of a sudden the switch for reverse stuck while it was in reverse. It does not appear to be tampered with. Upon checking my other switch's I find my cruise control power and 4way flasher switch sticking as well. From what I can see they appear to all be the same type of switch. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I fix it??!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
If " joeincalif " were here he would say, " First. Try spraying electrical contact spray into the switches as best you can.. In a pinch you can try some WD-40; however, WD was designed to evaporate and does not leave much by way of lubricants behind ". Try either of these first before we start on tearing your bike apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sticking reverse Switch

I have had the same problem with my '02 which I bought used. With some patience and close observations (so you know how to get everything back correctly) you can disassemble the housings and get a straw into the area of the switches and spray them liberally with electrical contact cleaner (The reverse switch is well hidden but you can get there) I believe I also lubricated them.

First Post so I hope I did this right
Margaritaman
East Texas

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
First Post so I hope I did this right
Margaritaman
East Texas
You did well. I like how you just roll up you sleeves and jump right in. No introduction, no fanfare. You even take it a step further and suggest that TBS disassemble the assembly. Spend some time in the " Lounge " forum also. All work and no play doesn't help us riders here who are garaged for one reason or another. Welcome from Virginia. Now back to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried to spray the switches without disassembly and that worked for about 2 weeks then back to the old problem. When the reverse switch stuck I did not try to spray it from outside as it I knew it was under a second clamp which shields it from the spray.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the idea's. I have tried the contact cleaner which contained a lubricant as well. So far no luck. I have also torn apart the bike to get better access to the switch, which is how I determined they all appear to be of the same type. Is this a common problem?? The bike has been garaged since new and never showed any signs of the switches getting sticky, then three all at once.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I went thrue the same problem with the start/rev switch on the Green Wing. It took me about 2 hrs to remove the switch, disassemble it, clean it up and adjust the springs. Works like new.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
lonewolftx has some key ingredients in his post, especially the 'spring adjustment' he mentioned. These are contact switches and will change their tollerances with time and contaminants that are bound to get in there. It pays to be cautiously thorough when servicing these items.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the idea's. I have tried the contact cleaner which contained a lubricant as well. So far no luck. I have also torn apart the bike to get better access to the switch, which is how I determined they all appear to be of the same type. Is this a common problem?? The bike has been garaged since new and never showed any signs of the switches getting sticky, then three all at once.
I hope by now you have the switches working. I think that flooding them to wash out any contaminents is the solution. I did not adjust my springs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Powered grafite will probably do the trick. Most hardware store carry it. Spray it around the switch and then push the button in and out a few times. Hope this works for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts