Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put a 1980 GL1100 back on the road. It has been sitting for 8-9 years and has a good deal of rust. It has either 27K or 127K miles on it. When I sit on the bike and turn the handle bars from back and forth, there is a noticeable "spot" near the center point that seems to hit a "hitch". It moves right on through it but it is not a continuous smooth pull from either side to either side. This is my first GW and I don't know if this could be lubrication or something more serious.

Any ideas would be appreicated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check to make sure you don't have a speedometer cable, brake hose, or ? hanging up on something as you are turning the handlebars. I had to move some of mine. Mine felt like a clicking. I, like you, brought my '83 back from the scrap heap. It took me a whole winter of work... new brakes, fork seals, starter, timing belts, thermostat, fuel hoses, fuel filter, rad hoses, changed all fluids, etc. It was worth all the effort! I love my 'Wing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - will do! It does't really feel like a "hang up" but I'll check for it though. Encouraging that you were able to put yours back together. I figure its a long-term project but that's OK if I end up with it on the road again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the GWO Forums, Milesoffun!

If the bike sat with the steering in the same location for all those years, it may have a corroded/rusty spot on the bearings/races right there. It may work itself out....it may not. If it's not hanging up on a cable/wire/hose, as was mentioned, safety would dictate(to me) that it would be a good idea to check the steering bearings for damage.
My last bike before this GW had a "rough spot" right at center, too, and that thing would shimmy like heck at around 70mph...
just a thought...

·
Registered
55 Posts
To my knowledge, the only way is to dis-assemble the steering head...:(

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is there any way to lubricate those bearings/races?
You may want to check and see what bearings are available. My 74 750 used just loose ball bearings, but you could buy a roller bearing kit. This kit used roller bearings like you have on the car wheels. WAY better set up. Not sure what GW uses, but look into it.
If you would like to be encouraged, visit my web site at http://www.absolutetops.com/750Four/bike.htm and check out what I had to do to get my 750 going. My GW I bought in good shape, so I am only doing little things, (like fixing what had been fixed in the past by others!).
Good luck to you, you are going to love your GW, they are awsome!
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still getting there. In the mean time, I have picked up another 80 GL1100 that is about in the same shape. I'm hooked on them but it will be awhile before I'm on the road, but I will ge there sooner or later!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still getting there. In the mean time, I have picked up another 80 GL1100 that is about in the same shape. I'm hooked on them but it will be awhile before I'm on the road, but I will ge there sooner or later!
it is really great when you do what you are doing. Anyone with a fat enough check book can buy a new Wing, it takes heart, determination, and tallent to bring one back from the dead!
you will have a better feeling than any one driving off the lot on a new wing!
Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know about everthing else but its the best darn therapy I can find and its a lot cheaper than a shrink. No matter how insane a day I have had, working on these bikes at night can make it a good day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts